favorite se razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RABIDMONKEY, Jul 7, 2011.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I really enjoy this razor. If I happen upon a nice looker that shaves as well as this one, it continue it's journey teaching people the enjoyment of the OCMM.

2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

There's a bit of a learning curve to the OCMM but once you get the hang of it they are extremely efficient. I have never shaved with a straight but have seen several guys say theOCMM is very similar to a straight razor.

I actually prefer the Clog pruf to the open comb, it seems to provide the perfect balance between aggressiveness and smoothness for me.

3. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

well, it IS a single edge

Rolls Imperial Traveler

Attached Files:

4. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

The 1912 is my favourite but the MM Clog Pruf and the G/Bar are pretty decent.;) The Roll's is a good shaver also,if you are prepared to hone your blade correctly. Personally I found the Roll's to be a lot of work.

5. chillipepr

chillipepr Member

It is a Single Edge, but I hear that they carry STD's......

6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Gem 1912 or a Gem Junior

7. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I have an Ever Ready 1912 and a Push Button. Like them both, but really like the shaves I get with the Push Button.

8. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

espically the gold plated series 1's:D

9. chillipepr

chillipepr Member

I have one, not sure of the year/model, but it's a fine shaver I just am too lazy to use it more than once a week!!! And I soaked the whole kit in barbicide to rid it of that nasty STD!!!!

10. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

Got the 1912 eveready 2day , wow its sort of hefty , really love the patterning on the handle ,reminds me of my merkur 1906 , Been starring at it it all night , will give it a shave 2mrw night want to build up a 2day growth before giving it a go on my face , will say it removed the some hair on my arm pretty good ( I sacrafice a little arm hair on most new razors to get the angle down in my mind to use on my face ),will post back after I shave

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

I got my OCMM in a trade with gorgo, and have fallen in love with it. I have since then ordered 2 more SE off the bay, at a cost of $1.04 plus $2.95 in s/h. There are some real deals out there if you look. I did get a Valet SE but found you need to mod blades to make it fit, or pay a pretty penny for vintage.

With the OCMM I find I only need 2 passes, 1 WTG and 1 XTG and I am pretty smooth with a Dang Fine Shave. I am using a Ted Pella Gem PTFE blade with great results.

Hope you enjoy your new razor as much as I enjoy mine. If you do, it'll be love at first shave.

Nice of you Tom to introduce him into the world of SE. Cheers!:eatdrink047

12. dilly-b

dilly-b Member

The 1912s are pretty much the perfect razor as far as I'm concerned. The guard design is brilliant, it's aggressive and 'open comb-y' but surprisingly safe and an absolute pleasure to use. Just holding one in my hand makes me proud to be an American! You can find a nice one for $10 without too much trouble.:happy108:happy108:happy108

13. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

ok reporting back .. im hooked

first off I want to thank Tom again for his kindness sending me the se and to announce Im indeed hooked. I used the blade he included ( I believe it was a gem blade ) I waited till this morning to shave so I a good 2 days growth . I will admit I went to walmart at 4 am to get some noxema because I wanted my prep to be as good as I could get it . Shower , musgo gly lime . then noxzema , then off with the noxzema with a hot wash cloth. Face is soft ,whiskers are soft>>> on to the shave .Used my cyril essentional lime a trusted friend and my bill bowl whipped up a good lather on to the shave .Hand stropped the blade just to make sure . The razor sang as it mowed down the stubble sort of startling at first how loud it seemed . That first pass to downed way more stubble than my ej89l or the merkur 1904 . Wow ! Next pass was xtg the razor still sang out, kept the passes short and smooth no problems. Im now really digging the audio feedback .Took a moment used washcloth to wipe off face to really get good feel for whats left . I would have to say its equal to my usual 3 pass shave with de ,some of the blue/black hair shadow is even gone ( I always have this even smooth shaved with a de the shadow remains ) Decided to risk it go for broke the dreaded atg which is a 50/50 shot for redness or bbs .The everready continued its verbal encouragement with a smoothness no weepers, no slightly raw feeling and removed even more of the skin shadow on my neck and no blade buffing,j-hooking all the stuff I have to do get my neck wasnt needed . It just sang and shaved . I did noticed it seemed easier even to line up the lines on my chin strap beard than usual . Less passes than my de to get the same job done and .... I know its probally just the "new " but Im going to weigh it in the Everreadys favor and say It did a better job as touch my face aka the "Facesterbating" . Now I need figure out what blade that was get more and try the treet carbon steel blades I got . Decide which I like best and stock enough to last in case they stop making them . variety and hoarding are the key to wet shave happiness ....

14. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Hey, it's good to hear it worked well for you! The blade I threw in is a Gem PTFE coated stainless that I got in a group buy a year or so ago over at B&B. I find them very similar to the Gem/Personna stainless blades available at Walgreens.