Why is a Fatboy so popular

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuco99, Jul 13, 2011.

1. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Why is the Fatboy the one to have of the Gillette adjustable.When I see them on the bay go higher than the other gillette adjustables.I know theres the date code factor.Are they better shavers than the slim,Black handles?Is it all about just collecting.Or that they were the first?

2. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

It's a big, manly feeling razor with 9 levels of bite. On top of its original high selling price and number of manufacture, it's simply a razor that's got all the functionality someone could as for as well as being packaged in to an attractive looking little gizmo. Feels good, heavy, and well built in the hand to boot!

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

It's the flavor of the month right now. Last year at this time it was a red tip frenzy, everyone had to have one, the ultimate razor. meh.

4. Godan

Godan Member

I think all of the Gillette adjustables are about equally competent, but the Fatboy fits my hand better. The combination of weight and short, thick handle work for me.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've owned and used half-dozen FBs over the past few years and the only thing I can figure is what's been said above: the weighty feel is the appeal. It's a great razor but I don't know of a Gillette that wasn't.

The adjustables, in my experience, shave precisely the same. Hand feel was the difference: Fatboy = heavy, chunky, substantial. Slim = lighter, somewhat more refined (ditto the black short handle). Super Adjustable = longer handle. Shave-wise? No differences that I could ever detect.

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I give a slight edge to the Fatboy over the Slim, but both shave quite well. Fatter handle and more weight are why I like it.

As to price I only paid $35 for mine on the Bay. 1956 E series if memory serves. I didn't think that was terribly priced.

7. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It's a good razor among many other good razors. I got mine maybe a year and a half ago when they were going for a bit less than they are now. Sometimes it's hard to say why a particular vintage razor becomes popular. You can make plausible guesses, but people just start buying them, they tell other people, and it snowballs. It's not likely to be something purely logical. The adjustable feature is nice, but does it work better than on the Slim, or the later Super-Adjustable? It's not clear that it does.

I haven't used mine for quite a while, although I intend to keep it, and will probably still shave with it occasionally. There's nothing wrong with it, just found other things I liked better.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. I just prefer the Fatboy due to the heft.

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

It is totally YMMV. I do prefer the Fatboy, but others prefer the Slim, and a few actually prefer the Super. I like the weight of the Fatboy. You really just need to try them all and decide for yourself.

10. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

I've tried all three of the Adjustable models. All are great shavers and I don't know if I would be able to pick a favorite.
    Like what was said above. Heft of the FB, long handle of the SA, or in my opinion availability of the Slim (I just seem to find more of these on my hunts); find one and fall in love with a great razor.

11. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

I have a black handle slim and a regular slim. I would like to try a fat boy, but the price is too prohibitive to justify. I personally prefer my 40's style SS to my adjustables.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have a FB now and have had a few in the past. The current FB will be sold off like the rest. It is a good razor, but there are better razors to be had. I think the Super Adjustible is better than the FB or Slim. For me, I do not use the adjusments, I slam them wide open, all of them.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Several of the books and sites on shaving began to tout the FatBoy as the razor to get. So the word of mouth and print increased the demand.

I enjoy the Slim head far better for going behind the ears when head shaving than the FatBoy. Both are excellent razors.

14. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

it's all about the feel. and like all else ymmv. i do prefer the red-tip over mr fat but next year i might like mr fat better. trends change with the times and the face never stays the same. then again you start changing blades and who knows what you may end up with?

15. hockeyguy

hockeyguy New Member

FATBOY

I HAVE A 1959 FATBOY AND IT SHAVES NICELY. IT HAS GREAT HEFT TO IT AND IT'S COMFORTABLE TO HOLD. PERSONALLY I LIKE A SLANT BAR RAZOR BETTER. JUST PERSONAL PREFERNCE.:eatdrink020

16. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

I have all 3, but use the Fatty most as it's my birth-year razor D4.

17. Hank

Hank Active Member

I have two fatboy's , I only use one and I have the other put away I'd like to find a short, black handled one. As far as the red tip being the razor to have I just don't get it I have one and really don't care for it.

18. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

My guess is because the name is cool. :D

Or many of the reasons already posted. I think it comes down to it being the flavor of the month and that it is an excellent razor (for many people).

19. dmalsbury

dmalsbury New Member

Over the years I've had many Gillette razors including a Tech, Fat Boy, Slim, Long Handle, and a couple of Schicks as well. I can get no better shave than I do with my '59 SS TTO. Best shave of the week imho. ymmv, but the simple nature and feel of the Standard Super Speed is a true joy in shaving. For me anyway.
    Cheers

20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I consider the Slim and FB both fine and quite similar shavers, but also prefer the heft of the FB. Since the FB was only made for a few years (fewer than the Slim) it is probably rarer than the Slim. Add rarity + possibly a slight preference by many and its higher price is understandable.