Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Cubits

Cubits New Member

Yeah, it's a british gold superspeed, like the one on achim's (mr. razor's) site. I'd post the link, but i'm under the limit...

Should work pretty well, the british TTO's are built superbly!

I just had my first shave with a '53 "patent pending" rocket HD. It was the best shave of my life! It felt as tame as my techs, but took off far more hair, and the weight/tightness made it buttery smooth. Also, love how "plush" the TTO action is, it makes my #21 feel loose and grainy.

2. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Do you mean that one?

[​IMG]

3. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Achim,

Just how rare are these Gold Rockets?

4. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

In good condition they are very rare. The one in my collection is missing some plating :ashamed001 . The set on my site is from another collector (Leon)

brit likes this.
  5. Ed Meyer

Ed Meyer New Member

Very Nice! Thanks for the wealth of information!

6. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Awesome Post.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Plating loss or not, still a thing of beauty!

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I did find this one -- the one in the middle -- that fits well with some of its golden cousins. But rarely seen and rarely in such good condition.
    [​IMG]

brit, PLANofMAN, 178-bplatoon and 2 others like this.
  9. PapaTasso

PapaTasso New Member

I am new to this forum, and a novice DE Shaver. Currently using a Jagger DE8, but I dug up two old razors that my grandfather gave me years ago. One is a British Parat Rocket, and the other is a Blue Tip Rocket. I opened the mechanism on the Parat a few times to test it, but now it seems to be jammed up. The bottom won't twist and the doors are locked in an open position. I would love to start utilizing these razors, and would like to fix the Parat, or send it to someone who can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Soak in scrubbing bubbles or British equivalent, then follow up with a squirt down the middle of WD-40, 3 in 1, or my favorite, watch maker's oil. Whatever you do, don't try to force it.

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Here's what I did with any razors that had no plastic or gold plating.
    -Get a heat friendly bowl and lay the razor in it.
    -Bring water to a full boil, remove from heat and pour over the razor, let soak for approximately 5 minutes or so. Once it starts getting cool enough to touch, gently twist the mechanism back and forth to help remove any other gunk from the insides.
    -Repeat as necessary.
    -Spray with scrubbing bubbles and let soak until the foam disappears, use a soft toothbrush to gently clean all the surfaces.
    -A few small drops of oil down the shaft to lubricate the mechanism and enjoy!

Make sure you don't boil the razor! The residual heat should be enough to loosen years of goo crammed in there and let you get it out.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

The Blue Tip in the US has an Aluminium handle? if your does, I'd be careful as to what I use on it. It reacts to cleaners differently than the other SS's

13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I'm confused...yes or NO on using scrubbing bubbles on a gold plated razor? Thinking of doing up my Executive, FT Rocket and Blue Star (wifes).

14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

scrubbing bubbles is fine on gold razors. I'd just be careful about scrubbing too hard on them since the gold plating is thin and will wear off easily if the lacquer coating is gone or if you scrub it off.

15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Scrubbing bubbles is fine if you don't let it soak very long in it. The cleaner can tint the lacquer that covers the gold and turn it more orange than gold.

16. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks...i may give it a shot!

17. allclownsareevil

allclownsareevil New Member

Hello,

Wanted to say thanks for the write-up on the Rocket series. For the last 15 years I've been using my Dad's old razor that he bought way back in the early fifties whilst serving in the RAF in the middle east. I saw it in a drawer one day when I was visiting my folks and asked him if they were any good and would he mind if I tried it? I never used anything else from that day on.

My Father said he bought it very early on when he began serving and used it until the late 70s / early 80s. Coincidentally, I stumbled across it about the same time as when I went to work for the MoD. Now I know this will sound dumb to you, but to me it kind of felt like the razor had come full circle at that point ... almost like it had been passed from Father to son at the beginning of their service days.

Thanks to this write up I've been able to identify it as an English Rocket HD. For anyone considering using one, it's one of the most forgiving razors I could imagine. I've been really quite slipshod and rough with it when shaving in a hurry and it just gets on with its job and gives you a good, close shave. Never grumbles, never slices your face off, very dependable.

I lost my Dad a few years ago. The razor has always had some sentimental value and I've been thinking of retiring it so it could be kept with some of my Father's other personal effects. I'd not like to lose it when travelling or some such. With that in mind I bought a H2 1962 Slim adjustable in excellent condition. Tried it tonight for the first time. Maybe it's just because it's new and that I'm so used to the Rocket HD, but so far, it's not a patch on the HD. It's well made, but the Rocket HD feels bomb-proof by comparison. I'll give the Slim a while so as to get familiar with it, but I may well end up sourcing another Rocket HD instead, who knows?

Anyway, thanks again for the write-up. Really informative.

lradke likes this.
  18. allclownsareevil

allclownsareevil New Member

Ok, so carrying on from the post above I should probably update something.

I said the Gillette Slim wasn't a patch on the Rocket HD. I was talking out of my rear end it seems. I guess I must have put a dull blade in the Slim when I first got it because since changing to a new blade it's actually a very good shave. Pictures below.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, something really unexpected today. As I said above my Dad gave me a Rocket HD years ago, which I've used for over 15 years. When my Dad died I wanted to retire the Rocket and keep it. So I bought a 1962 Slim as a replacement. Then today, for some reason, I decided to clear out my shaving/aftershave/deodorant shelf ... at the very back, tucked away behind some other stuff I found this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have NO idea where it came from. I don't remember ever being given it and I certainly didn't buy it. I can only guess my Dad must have given it to me sometime after I started using the Rocket and I clean forgot the incident. Really odd because I'm not the forgetful type. I genuinely have no idea how it got there. Looks very similar to the Rocket HD, but has a different patent number and knurling. It says "made in England", patent number 430030 and weighs 82g. It's not an Aristocrat Jnr is it?

Apologies if I've hijacked this thread a little.

brit and lradke like this.
  19. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It's great when you find something wonderful you didn't even realize you had. :)

20. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

That looks like the model 22 that I keeping losing auctions on. I love the barber pole knurling. Wish I would find one in my cabinet!