Earthquake...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PanChango, Aug 23, 2011.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

So I'm sitting in work and the building shakes and the power flashes. A 5.8 magnitude quake hit just outside of Washington DC. Just from friends texting me, it could be felt at least as far north as Manhattan and as far south as South Carolina.

It is rare to feel something like that on the east coast.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/37.39.-79.-77.php

I haven't seen any news reports yet, but hopefully everyone is alright.

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

wow. I hope everybody is ok.

Sunday there was a tornado here and I think 1 person passed away. It is pretty uncommon for tornadoes especially powerful ones in southern Ontario... I was driving and had horrible rain and thunder for 30 min it was off and on. But wasn't bad... I just hope everybody in the earthquake as well as the tornado are ok and get through it alright.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Our daughter felt it in DL
    Smith and Wesson in MA

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thought the house was falling down.

We're all fine here (closer to the epicenter).

Dridecker likes this.
  5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Good... glad to read you made it through ok.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

yeah hope everybody is ok, Uk weather is just rain and occasional strong wind, yes its safe but it can get you down sometimes

7. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

We felt it here in Maine

8. Mr. Imperial

Mr. Imperial Member

Hope everyone is doing ok. I don't think there was much damage.

I felt it here in upstate New York! Sitting in a library doing research, the bookshelves started waggling around! Crazy!

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Too many people hammering refresh button at one time to see the progress of Hurricane Irene...

Seriously though; I hope everyone is okay.

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

A day for weird earthquakes. News says we had one in Southern Colorado early today. Thankfully, I didn't feel it.

Hope everyone on the east coast is doing well. A 5.8 wouldn't be much concern in California where buildings and roads are designed for it, but in a place they don't happen often it's a real concern.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Glad to hear you rode it out ok Jo.

We most certainly felt it here in the Baltimore area. No damage it appears but sure as hell is an odd and powerless situation you find yourself in when the ground starts shaking.....

Ya'll had 10 5.0 or greater since midnight.

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Thought about JoAnna and Bobby earlier. Glad y'all are okay. I felt here in the Upstate of SC. Schools in Greenville County evacuated briefly, and they evacuated the library in Spartanburg briefly. In our county, I felt it rumble a little while I was at lunch, but never thought much about it until I went back into the library I work at and they were talking about it.

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'm glad to hear all of you are alright even if just a little shaken.

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Thought about you guys on Tuesday...I talked to my Mom and brother who live right at the Spicenter, in Mineral Va...They said the house was a mess but nothing serious....Bless you all and I hope everyone recieved a minimum of inconvenience...
    I'm afraid this incoming storm looks scarier...I hope it misses everyone and goes out to sea...