Cocktails !!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Feb 8, 2007.

1. OneRand

OneRand New Member

Richmond Gimlet

2oz gin
    1oz fresh lemon juice
    1oz simply syrup
    leaves frm 1 sprig of mint

shake all ingredients over ice, including mint, until shaker is chilled

strain into martini glass

2. tclevela

tclevela New Member

I only go with three mixed drinks.
    1) Double bourbon with Coke. Using Jim Beam
    2) Dark and Stormy using Stewards Ginger beer and Myer's Rum
    3) Gin and Tonic using Bombay Sapphire and tonic water.

3. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

A proper Manhattan

Since this cocktail was invented prior to the Civil War, they should be made with American Rye Whiskey.

2Oz Rye Whiskey. Beam makes an adequate one.
    1/2 oz sweet vermouth
    1/2 oz dry vermouth
    3 drops bitters
    Couple of Maraschino Cherries
    Add ingredients to a shaker filled with ice. Shake for 5 sec. Pour into a low ball glass.

Doc.

4. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

When I was bartending that's what we called a "perfect" Manhattan, like its cousin, the perfect Martini. I agree about using rye (I usually use Wild Turkey) instead of the more common Canadian whiskey, which usually contains rye but also substantial amounts of corn whiskey. I have been on a quest in my neck of the woods where rye whiskey behind the bar is virtually unknown. I always ask for my Manhattan made with rye. Usually the restaurant has none and I make the point that a fine restaurant certainly could afford one bottle of rye whiskey. There are several brands readily available in the liquor stores.

5. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

Using Canadian whiskey in a Manhattan is a sacrilege. Bourbon is okay, but it's a different drink.

Doc.

6. Will

Will Nevermind

Fixed it for you.

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Does it already exist? Probably.. but I have been drinking this lately so I might as well post it here.

In a Double Old Fashioned Glass (Premium Crystal is best):
    • 4 Clean Ice Cubes.
    • Triple Shot of Premium Vodka, I like Grey Goose.
    • Fill the rest with Pomegranate Juice, I like Pom Wonderful.

Does it have a name? Who knows.. we can name it after me. :D

8. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I'm not much for mixed drinks, but I'm a fan of the Kamikazee: equal parts vodka, Triple Sec, and Lime.

I also like a good Amaretto Sour: 1 1/2 oz. Amaretto liquor; 1-2 splashes of sweet and sour mix.

Failing either of those, I enjoy whatever Scotch I have either neat or on the rocks.

Normally I'm a beer guy.

9. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

Just in case anyone was wondering, malibu coconut rum should never be mixed with walmart pineapple soda

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Thanks for the heads up! I cannot think of anything that would go well with either? Coconut Rum. :sick007

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I like it in the summertime with Langer's Pineapple Coconut juice.........will NOT be trying the Wally soda mix :)

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Deeeeeee-licious. But I dont know what to call it

[​IMG]......+[​IMG]..............+[​IMG]

13. Moe

Moe Active Member

Shameless plug for Iowa: Templeton Rye Whiskey from Templeton, IA. Originally from pre/during the prohibition period, rumored to be one of Al Capone's favorite drinks. Just went back into production in the last few years. Distribution accross US is probably lacking, but understand it is growing. Saw an artcle where business travelers to IA are making side trips to pick some up to bring home. It is pretty good stuff, but alot of the hype is probably because of limited distribution.

14. erictski

erictski Member

Southern Comfort Old Fasion 2 ways

3 shots SoCo
    1 Shot Cointreu
    3 shakes orange bitters
    3 drops grenadine
    dash of seltzer water to top up in a short glass

or for a less orangy taste i like

3 shots SoCo
    3 shakes bitters (angstora)
    1 pinch sugar(really small pinch for me)
    couple drops grenadine
    seltzer water to taste over ice in short glass.

15. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

moscow mule

ginger beer, not ale
    vodka
    lime jc

ratios may vary
    must be served in a copper mug - cold

16. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

knob's creek

knob's creek
    ice

repeat

17. Thegentleman

Thegentleman New Member

I like it but no ice. Just some good JD for sipping

18. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

We were throwing an outdoor summer dinner party. We wanted something refreshing and flavorful, but light enough in alcohol that our guests could enjoy their drinks all afternoon and into the evening. At once, we both thought of the answer: Pimms Cup! But our liquor store was out of Pimms, so I had to find a cheater recipe on the internet. This is what we've been drinking all summer:

Base: In a pitcher, mix

• 1 measure gin (note: do not use a London dry gin - we use Hendricks)
    • 3/4 measure of high quality red vermouth (Lillet, c'est bon)
    • 1/4 measure of high quality white vermouth (Noilly Prat)
    • 1/8 measure of Bols orange
    • Few dashes of bitters (your choice - we use blood orange bitters)

Prep:

• Peel a cucumber. Cut into spears. Remove seeds by slicing them off lengthwise.
    • Fill a tall collins glass with cubed ice.

Mix:

• Add 2 oz. of base and fill with ginger ale or lemonade or lemon soda (no, you may not use 7-Up) or Champagne (Royale Style).
    • Garnish with cucmber spear
    • As desired, add a splash of gin to taste

This is a summer variation on Doc's recipe Rye recipe, below. Yummay!

19. noxlord

noxlord New Member

Hot whisky for cold days...

- 2oz whisky
    - 3oz hot water
    - 1 Teaspoon Honey (better than sugar)
    - 1 Slice of lemon with,
    - 2-3 Clover nails, stabbed into the lemon slice

20. The Hundred Dollar Mai-Tai

(That's Beachbum Berry's official name of the drink, but it's a bit misleading. In truth it will cost you approx. $100 to buy the various bottles of ingredients, which will be enough to make TWENTY FIVE mai-tais. However "the four dollar mai tai" is a much less exciting name.)

One fifth Saint James 15-year Hors D'Age Rum $41.95
    One fifth Appleton Estate Extra rum $23.99
    One bottle Marie Brizard orange curacao $20.99
    One bottle Trader Vic orgeat syrup $5.99
    One bottle Trader Vic rock candy syrup $5.99
    One pound fresh limes $1.29
    One bunch fresh mint $1.99
    TOTAL COST: $102.19

And here's what to do with it all:

To make one $100 Mai Tai, crush enough ice to fill a double old-fashioned glass, and put the crushed ice in your cocktail shaker. Next, pour in one ounce of Saint James, one ounce of Appleton, 1/2 ounce of Curacao, and one-fourth of an ounce each of orgeat and rock candy syrup. Then, pour in one ounce of fresh-squeezed lime juice (we know, the Grog Log specifies 1 1/2 ounces, but for some reason, with these rums, one ounce feels right — more and the lime dominates, less and the result is too sweet). Now, drop in a lime shell and shake everything like hell for around ten seconds. Finally, pour it all into your double old-fashioned glass, add more crushed ice to fill, and garnish with a sprig of mint.

transistordude remarks: (1) "Senior Curacao" brand (LINK) is just as luxurious in this drink as Marie Brizard, but much more widely available; (2) Torani brand orgeat (found at the grocery store in the coffee aisle) is actually better than Trader Vic's.