The Haul: September 26th - October 2nd, 2011

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Sep 25, 2011.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Ah, rain. Now I know some of you in the northeast may still be cleaning out, but a lot of us in the south and southwest could still use more rain, so I'm glad it's here. And cooler temps!

Anyway, what's in your haul this week? Post up those pics!!

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Not a big haul:) but at only £1.00 I had to buy P1030535(1).JPG

GDCarrington and PanChango like this.
  3. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Yes sir on the rain and cooler temps. Next weekend we should have a high in the mid 80's woohoo! Hopefully before then, I will have my haul from the Shave Den store to post.

4. hornm

hornm New Member

Kamikazi run to the PNW Spokane meet with Glen/gssixgun yesterday. One of the attendees Paul was in the states visiting family all the way from Tonga. I gave away some Escential lotions and oils (a local Portland shop) shave soap, cream and AS lotion and Paul gave me this tube of SHAVE Shave cream from Australia. 75g tube with a light pleasant scent that I'm at a loss to describe. I plan on giving it a go with tonights shave.
    006.JPG

Michael

5. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

DSCN1609(2).jpg Stuff from random Ebay bidding.
    1. Durham "hoe handle"- Shaving with this thing is a lot like trying to run thru the house carrying a oar:biggrin:
    2. Canada Shick - Nice case, I know nothing about the razor?
    3. 1921-8 Empire De Luxe blue (England) Seems to be NOS.:biggrin:

DSCN1608(1).jpg DSCN1610(3).jpg DSCN1611(4).jpg DSCN1613(5).jpg

6. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I got my Ogallala Bay Rum Bonanza sampler pack today. It's going to be fun trying these out. Some of them smelled funky from the bottle, we'll see how they do out of it. 2 oz bottles for samples is pretty generous.

[​IMG]

Dridecker and GDCarrington like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Was the funky one labeled "Hoss?" :confused:

8. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

The funky one was labeled Cologne.....Maybe "Hoss Sweat" is an unlisted ingredient? Actually, I shook them all up and smelled again, most of them did a little better.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Oooh! Green soap and a Green brush! Sweet!

11. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Kermit would be proud!

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

However, in this case, it is easy being green!

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The Schick is an E3 model as it has the parallel grooves on the bar guard. (see http://www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.html)

Very nice Empire set too! I've got all 3 variations. They are somewhat rare.

gregindallas likes this.
  14. IAmTheJody

With Simpson having posted on their Twitter feed today that their raw material prices are going up, which means so are the prices of the brushes - coupled with the fact that my other half took my Simpson Duke brush and I've been putting off ordering me another one - I went on and just now ordered this Simpson Berkeley brush from Superior Shave:

[​IMG]

15. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

16. IAmTheJody

Yeah but even if it is a sales pitch, like I said, I've been meaning to buy but putting it off so either way...

17. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Well, I ordered my first pack of 100 blades today. Astra Superior Platinum. $14.86 on Amazon shipped. I'm still getting free two day shipping so Amazon takes preference on shopping a lot....

And here is a borrowed picture!
    [​IMG]

swarden43 and ChemErik like this.
  18. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Hey! My other goody just came in! I wanted to try a badger brush and see if I liked it, but I didn't want to spend a huge amount. So I just ordered a Frank's Shaving brush in badger with a faux horn handle. It looks nice, I'll have to try it over the next week. Softer than what I've been using, but it still has some backbone to it.

I still can't hook my camera up to the computer and I can't find a good picture to borrow....:(

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Thanks on the Shick. I forgot you had that stuff on your site. The wife and I watched an old Cary Grant movie a few weeks ago. There was a scene where he was shaving with one. So if it good enough for him I thought I'd give them another try. Better than I remembered (my 1st-1st razar was one of my dad's Shicks. Not a good razor for a 14 year old).

Got the Empire set from England. About 20-30 buck I think. Cracked handle of course. :angry032: Somebody with skills and time needs to start making replacement barrels for the old Gillettes.:biggrin:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. hornm

hornm New Member

Tried out the SHAVE shave cream with last nights shave. Pretty decent all in all. The scent seems similar to Institute Karite so I'll probably try an Uber of the two and see how well it works out.