Using Proraso pre/post cream

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Skijumper, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

Just did my first shave with Proraso this morning and it felt great! However a few minutes after putting on the post shave cream I noticed a white powdery look to my skin that it left when it dried, has anyone else noticed this? My skin was fairly wet when I put it on, should I be applying it after I dry my face?

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I've not used the Proraso Pre/Post so unfortunately I cannot comment. However, I do know that quite a few people on here do use this so I'm sure a more helpful reply will be forthcoming.

3. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Try a search on the proraso pre-post, I know this has been discussed before. I use the proraso preshave often and have never had the issue, but I use it as a preshave not a postshave. Which are you doing? If a post shave, maybe you are using too much?

4. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

I searched and couldnt find anything about this exact issue, ive been trying to use it as both pre and post, when i put it on post i can rub it all in so im guessing im not using too much, but the white residue still shows up after it dries

5. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

Had the same issue with it today after my shave. Finished shaving, rinsed off with cool water, ran an alum block over my face, splashed more cool water on then rubbed in the proraso post shave cream, could the alum block be stopping the proraso from absorbing fully, causing the white residue?

6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Try using the Proraso without the alum block after your next shave. That will be the only way to know for sure.

7. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

Gah, that means waiting till tomorrow! I wish i had more hair.... :(

8. Mechguy

You know I should have looked before I typed that. I searched for awhile and can not find that either, but on the positive side I fiugured out how to search on the new board. I know I read it here, its the only place I go, maybe it was old.

Is this the green-tea and aloe pre-post or the regular version of the proraso pre-post.
    I only use the regular pre-post, and I use it pre. I like it, and it works for me.
    I prefer the proraso green-tea and aloe soap, and I notice that leaves a white ring of "stuff" around the sink when I use it. I have to clean it up after each shave or the wife gets annoyed with me.
    I'm just putting it out there.

9. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

its the regular version of the pre/post

10. Mechguy

I am sorry then, I have nothing for you.

11. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

How exactly are you applying it?

As I understand the instructions: with wet hands, you mix a small amount between your palms, possibly adding more water (just a drip or two) to turn it like milky consistency - then apply it as a wet balm (rather than trying to rub a dry lump of it on your face).

12. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

:signs011:

This is the way I do it.

13. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Which of these two are you using:

[​IMG]

The White lidded one has only instructions on how to use it as a PRE SHAVE CREAM, while the green lidded one has instructions on how to use as BOTH PRE SHAVE AND POST SHAVE CREAM.

The alum bloc is most likely blocking your skin pores. Try not using it and see what happens.

Or use the alum bloc and then use this:

[​IMG]

A mild scruffing lotion from Clinique.

Yes it contains mild alcohol but not a harmful amount and it also contains a mild solution that will tone and exfoliate your face leaving it ready for next step: The Pre/Post shave cream and then a good moisturiser !!

The use of the Clinique Scruffing lotion will clean your pores and leave it ready for the next step cream treatment. I'm fairly sure this will make the White powder residue from the Pre/pro shave cream dissolve fast.

14. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I use this as a pre shave (my face is good and wet) just before I apply the Proraso Shave Cream in the green tube.

proraso-cream.jpg

15. Destutt de tracy

Destutt de tracy New Member

Put less. The pre proraso is as good an after as a pre! A favorite! (but better the white can for sensitive skins)

16. Skijumper

Skijumper New Member

im using the green lid, i've been using it without the alum block first and it seems to have solved the white residue problem. Does using it as an aftershave cream take the place of an aftershave or can I use an aftershave splash in conjunction with it?

17. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

If I were using it as an aftershave cream I personally would not add anything else to it.

18. Grande

Grande Member

I've been using the green for close to 20 yrs. as an aftershave only. Never had an issue. I use a very small amount.

19. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

What I do when using it as a post-shave is dry my face from the pat down (nice cold water), then take a tiny amount (I'm talking less than half of a pinky fingernail) and rub it in my hands, then smear it on going with the grain. Then take another tiny bit and go with the grain on the neck. If there is an appearance of the good stuff later on, then you are using too much. Remember, with this stuff you only need the smallest amount to make the biggest difference.

20. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Are you using the green or the White edition of it ?

I feel the green with the camfer in it is almost too strong as an after shave - even when used sparingly I get a shock. Much prefer it as a Pre shave for when I shave a 3-4 day old beard without showering first ( it happens once in a while I shave without showering and here the green Pre shave cream is perfect )