'41 Ranger Tech Reconfirmed

Discussion in 'Articles' started by gorgo2, Nov 10, 2011.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I had a '41 Ranger Tech several months ago. I parted with it because I needed cash, but unlike any other razor I can recall I really regretted parting with it. I regretted it because, although I used it just once, that Ranger surprised the heck out of me by giving me the best shave I'd had in a long, long time (and this is coming from someone who owns and uses the Super Adjustable, Red Tip, Black Tip and '50s Aristocrat, also some of Gillette's best axes ever).

Well, a newly acquired '41 Ranger came in the mail today. I gave what I thought to be a decent price for it so I was even more pleased when it arrived in even better condition than the auction pictures indicated. Don't you love it when that happens?

So after getting back late from work tonight, I popped in a '60s era no-name stainless (honed just a touch to be sure of the edge) and squeezed out some menthol Barbasol can-o-goo.

Once again, a Ranger delivered a FANTASTIC shave. BBS with no nicks.This one shaved just as well as my last one but this time I tried to pay attention to why. The only thing I can figure is the balance. The Ranger Tech, in my hand anyway, is absolutely, perfectly balanced, more so than any other razor I've even held, much less shaved with. The understated knurling actually helps; while I dig the exaggerated grippiness and chunkier handles of the Red Tip and even that of the Aristocrat, the fine knurled tread on the Ranger is more than enough for the wettest wet shave...bigger tread would be way too much on such a relatively thin handle. It's perfect. All the way around, the Ranger Tech is just...perfect.

The Ranger Tech is now my favorite, hands down. I think I've finally found the excuse I've needed to part with all my Gillette's and my Gem and my injectors and narrow down my collection to just one razor...or at least just one DE. Turns out all I had to do is try almost every general type of razor Gillette made before deciding on the first and, and in my newly forged opinion, the BEST twist to open ever. As always, YMMV but if anyone has thoughts to share on this classic of classics, I'd love to read them.

2. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Well written. I don't know much about the Gillette razors, but if you are going to sell some injectors, PM me.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you look at the Ranger Tech it is the last series of razors to use the 1920-30s style handles and in my opinion were far better razors than the 1940s SuperSpeeds (still an excellent razor). Compare the handle on the Ranger versus the SuperSpeed and that is the greatest difference since the blade gaps are identical and the heads are close to identical.
    The handle is the same as those used on the Senator / Sheraton series and I believe cost slightly more to manufacture than the 1940 Supers and beyond. The handle is heavier and seems to have a different center of gravity when I hold it than the Supers do.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. Hiya,

For reasons I won't get into, superspeeds and me don't get along too well. The one exception would be the 1941 Ranger Tech, and I have one in my rotation. Best made of that SS group as far as fit and finish goes, and the plating's a step up from the versions made later. There's something about this razor that just happens to fit me pretty well.

Martin

Attached Files:

gorgo2, Rapidray and alpla444 like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Similar feeling , different razors. For me its the long comb Gillette New or my Merkur HD that delivers that perfect shaves. Both seem equipped to deal with a coarse beard with aggression but tempered enough not to nick. I own 2 of each and since I found what works for me it did allow me to sell other razors I don't use and lose some curiosity about how other razors might shave me. With the price of razors what they are on ebay and a depressed and contracting economy its a sellers market for Gillettes anyway.:)

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Here's my 1941 Ranger Tech. Haven't gotten around to trying it out but looks like it's time. Thanks for the motivation Gorgo!
    DSCN2247.jpg
    DSCN2248.jpg

gorgo2, Enrico, brit and 7 others like this.
  7. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Where do you find these things. Dang, that's nice.

alpla444 likes this.
  8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have said before TIME MACHINE which Jody seemed to back up theory when he posted about the barbours chair from the film (The time machine) being modified, or maybe with his new avatar he use's Jedi mind tricks to get ownes to part with there mint razors 'These are not the razos your looking for':yoda

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Sounds like a nice razor, I maybe tempted to try one, I didnt really enjoy either of the ss I had, they where not too bad but not as good as any of my other razors,
    Glad to hear you managed to get another one and it shaves as good.:)

10. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great post. A Ranger Tech is being put on my wish list.

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Say Gorgo...I've always wanted a Ranger Tech....How much do you want for yours ??...........lol
    I love a great love story where the star finds their ultimate shave-mate for a happy ending.....:) And it's equally great that such a fine masterpiece of a razor will be starting your days out right, by putting you in that DFS groove for hopefully many years to come, as it was designed to do....Congrats...:)

NOW HOW BOUT SOME PICS....

gorgo2 and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

O.K. Lloyd wants pictures of a 1941 Ranger Tech. Ask and ye shall receive...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

alpla444 likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

Just noting some difference and history here for those unaware... the 1941 Ranger Tech, often referred to as the very first Super Speed but done so in error as technically that would be the 1940 Milord, has no endcaps over the door 'gears' whereas the 1946 Ranger Tech does have endcaps. In 1947 it was re-branded and sold under 2 different model names; same razor, 2 different model names - Super Speed and Aristocrat Junior - and the smooth band on the handle near the TTO knob was changed to a knurled band. In 1948, they stopped selling it as an Aristocrat Junior and only sold it as a Super Speed (except for the gold plated models which were called Milord).

rodd and GDCarrington like this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is also how you tell the year these models were made, if you are looking to procure one, by the appearance or absence of endcaps. Like in my posting the "gears" are nickel plated without endcaps. One with endcaps 1946 - 1947 would not need the "gears" plated since the plated endcaps cover them .

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yeah GD.....Thats Sweet!! I love it...I WANT IT !!! If you ever decide to part with that shiney little vixen....Well you know where to find me.....;)

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You sweet talker you! You just want to take that razor out for a good time in Istanbul!

17. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I've been hoping to score a nice Ranger Tech. Maybe, someday.
    I just need to shadow Jody and learn his tricks.

18. IAmTheJody

No tricks. Just throw money at it and see how much falls to the floor and how much of it goes to some seller's kid's college fund. :happy102:

gorgo2 and GDCarrington like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Jody is spot on with that point! ;)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Perhaps I should clarify. I need to learn Jody's tricks for FINDING these sweet razors. If I found ones like these, I'd throw money at them to see what sticks. I just can't seem to find them.