Omega 631 Silvertip

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sodapopjones, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

This year is the first year I have had Black Friday off in eh 13 years or so and I decided it was a fine day to go and buy a brush....

Once again off to Penworks, where I'm encouraged to poke around and take my time, thanks again Tony and Vanessa, it was nice to meet Mary, Tony's wife.

I spent probably an ungodly amount of time today poking over the Omega's, after the 622 I decided it was worth paying attention to these brushes.

My goal today was to walk out with a 632 (20x52mm), but instead I took home the 631 (19x52mm) and here's why or why I would like to reason THIS purchase hah.

I'm not sure why, but the 631 actually feels like it had more backbone to it, it shares the loft height of the 632 but the knot is actually 1mm slimmer. It just seems odd the smaller brush offers the most backbone to me when they share the same loft height.

It took me awhile to make up mind, but thankfully I was in good company shooting the breeze and just said screw it, I'll go home with the 631, the last one actually; maybe I was right?!

[​IMG]

I had to do a little clean up on it, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it, when I got it home I had to remove small specks of epoxy on the handle and a small dab on the collar as well as a ring that went around the knot just above the collar; all cleaned up and you would never know. However this tells me it was actually handled by human hands, whether or not someone actually tied the knot before setting it in the ringlet like Plisson is beyond me.

I used TOBS Almond to test lather it with, lathered up real nice and easy in a bowl and actually felt more capable than the 622 due to the smaller knot...

[​IMG]

Actual shave findings didn't leave me as blown away as the 622, which is a good or bad thing depending on your personal taste in brushes. The 622 really made me stop and think hard about higher-end, high-end brushes, it just puts a smile on my face when I use it; the value of that brush cannot possibly be topped, it is after all only $10 more than the 631 and the knot is softer and much larger at 23mm x 56mm. The 631 on the other hand works and feels closer to something you would expect in this price range.

Face lathering I detected a faint amount of scritch, the 631 acts and performs very closely to the "Small" EJ Silvertip, however the EJ has a slight bit more backbone, but its knot is also 2mm wider. Mama Bears Lilac Ice worked wonderfully, and I didn't have to load the brush for each and every pass like the 622, but I did swirl it a couple times on the last pass; it is a small brush after all.

In summation I have no problem recommending the brush to anyone, while the larger Omega's seem to be more luxurious and a better value, the smaller knot in the 631 offers better performance and is closer to something the majority of shavers would use in comparison.

I will try and get a post bloom shot up tomorrow.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

So how many brushes are you up to now?

3. Sodapopjones

Well there's 15 in my bathroom now, and I have 2 out on loan....

4. Williams Warrior

That's all? I thought you'd have at least 2 dozen.;)

5. Sodapopjones

I know right!

I'm down to the Germans next, and I think I'm gonna skip that Omega 651 in horn, I've seen them crack now.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Great review looks nice, esp the handle, Im upto 4 brush's at the moment looking like its gonna be 5 at christmas with the addition of a higher end badger (large knott) not sure which yet.:signs002:

Sodapopjones likes this.
  7. Sodapopjones

Dean, you have plenty of time to make up your mind. ;)

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet lookin' brush, Aaron. Very good job on the right up, as well.
    May it serve you well.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  9. Williams Warrior

I'll recommend the Thater line up. They're a little on the expensive side but they are extremely well built and quite luxurious feeling on the face.

10. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Excellent pictures that were only topped by your write-up.
    Fantastic review, thank you.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  11. Sodapopjones

Post bloom, not too terribly crazy, but it did bloom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Great write up Aaron!

13. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Oh no!
    I have a total of 6 in my bathroom and the Omega 622 coming!
    Does this mean I'm turning into a brushaholic!?

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Answer = Yes, but is there a problem with that though?

15. Sodapopjones

Thanks Bob!
    Nah man you're good; its bad when you walk into an establishment or post a new post and the first thing they ask you is "How many brushes are you up to now"? That's when you have a problem...

16. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Phew! That's good to know.
    I've got to stop! :eek:
    I just got 3 vintage brushes that I plan on restoring. (someday)

I plan on offering my son a choice of which handle he likes when he comes for Christmas.
    Then I'll have to restore at least one!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  17. Sodapopjones

No need to stop if you truly enjoy yourself, for whatever reason wet shaving is that one hobby that doesn't seem to go away and I never lose interest; I can tell myself I will settle down, but it never happens.

If you enjoy brushes you enjoy brushes, if you enjoy razors you enjoy razors!

Besides you have an excuse you have a son, you gotta make sure the next generation gets it right.... haha