'41 Ranger Tech Reconfirmed

Discussion in 'Articles' started by gorgo2, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Ohhh....I'll show her a great time....you kidding?? You'll be writting about the razor that was hangin' on the Riviera....lol
    But alas...she looks pretty happy there....although I thought I detected a "Come hither stare" in a couple of those pics....in the future, you might want to save pictures of her for "adult viewing only"....;) Just saying.....

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thank you! I'm down to one injector - a handsome butterscotch, pebble-headed Schick - and as soon as I burn through the injector mags I have (a couple months worth, maybe), it'll have to go. A shame really; the only reason I'll part with it (besides the Ranger) is because injector blades are now so relatively hard and pricey to get. I don't even see them at flea markets and antique stores the way I used to...they're being hoarded.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I believe you are 100% correct, that's the only thing that explains why the Ranger is, for most, superior to the subsequent Super Speeds while appearing nearly identical.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Agreed, that's also my favorite three piece (tied for 1st with the Clix EZ Flo) and my favorite open comb shaver ever. The longer teeth are the secret, I think. Everyone should have one, or at least try one.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sharp looking! Mint in box or not (yours looks like it may be), I'm one of those guys who says "Use it, you could die tomorrow!"

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I doubt you'd be disappointed if you'll be comparing it to the '40s-'50s Super Speeds (flare tips and Aristocrats/Diplomats/Presidents are different animals entirely). '40s-'50s were always just blah shavers to me, like a Tech.

But even if you are disappointed, you'll definitely manage to get your money back out of it!

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Excellent point; it's NOT the first TTO as I said in my article.

Not to spark new RAD in myself or anyone else (seriously, I want to be DONE with all RAD), but can anyone say from experience how the Ranger shaves compared with the Milord?

Also...would the '38 Senator amount to basically an open comb Ranger?

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Also...anyone who uses the Ranger, if you notice blades that tend to work well/don't work well, I'd also enjoy reading those reports. My carbons have been working fairly well - exactly like shaving back in '41, come to think of it - but I found a Feather blade to have too much bite. What I need to do is break out a Silver Star...that was the blade with my last Ranger that gave me a magically glass-smooth shave.

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

They did use the same handle but I imagine that's where the similarities end. The Senator seems to have a bigger head and weigh more.

10. Bird Lives

As far as the blades...thats going to have as much to do with your face as the razor, I'm afraid....The head of the
    ranger is very similar to the Super Speed so the blade thing will be so YMMV....But there are tons of threads concerning blade preferances around here... But I think the SoS threads are pretty indicative as to what most the Den-Mates are currently using...

I'm not hip to Silver Star blades....But if you've gotten great shaves with those before, it sounds like a great place to start...:)

11. Hiya,

I can't help thinking about an old thread started by a superspeed savant (MT Grayling). Seems to me he mighta mentioned the Ranger being just slightly different from other superspeed types. Now that guy knew his razors.

Before trying my Ranger, I was not optimistic about it being a decent fit. I'd used various 1940s and flare tips and red tips and black tip superspeeds, with the red being the best of a bad situation.

I was surprised to find that for whatever the reason, the 1941 shave was actually a pleasant kinda thing. Strange deal.

Martin

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I think some of the razor guys look at ebay in different countries , France, Germany, Italy, Uk etc. to come up with their finds. Also they use the search function so that ebay will email you daily if anything like you are searching for comes up. They also may have mutiple sources for razors .

I've found advertising on several different forums will turn up a shaving item you want. Who'll have or know what a Ranger Tech is but guys on the forums.

Even if you don't find the Ranger Tech in pristine condition, you can buy a beater and replate for $45 or so and make it mint.With the price of Gillettes way up and many sellers holding them for ramsom this might be the end around.

I would think the guys at Razor Emporium would be able to find any Gillette you wanted , they are vendors who seem to specialize in Gillettes, pretty sure they might stock what you want or be able to find it ,gonna cost though .

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

One e-bay seller just sold one for $51 USD w/o shipping recently, and I am seeing some higher than that so that is obviously becoming an in demand razor.
    Could be the name Ranger Tech, the time period and/or quantity produced, or the characteristics of the razor that is driving the prices?

14. Bird Lives

Its the fad....Yep...it's a great razor....Exceptional, but it seems to me 99% of the time, the prices on e-bay go with the darling of the month....When I first got back into this, you would have thought the Fatboy was the only razor of any merit by the price wars...remember?
    The Ranger was just a matter of time...For one thing as GD referred to, its exclusivity....Came out Christmas before the war and then went out of production when the WWII started...How many were made??...Would have to be pretty exclusive....Next year this time maybe the Black Tips will be fought over....only made during the Korean war, right at 2 years....

What do you think?...Alot of you cats have a much better feel for the market than me....What will the next HOT VINTAGE be ?? We could start a pool, and the prize could be whichever razor won...:)

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

THAT is an excellent idea!

I don't keep abreast of ebay enough to reliably know what's hot when, but then if we're just going by a consensus on general trends, why not?

I predict the next Gillette hotness will be...

...the Slim.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Reading that makes me rather excited about cleaning up mine and giving it a go this week :)

[Ooops...necro-posting]

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I look forward to reading your review!

18. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Ranger Tech a lovely razor and the plating quality is good. It cleaned and polished up a treat :happy088:.
    I have a 1940 Milord which is to me the same razor with Gold plating. This was a wreck when I got it, green and caked with soap scum :sad023:. It's away for Gold plating just now. I've restored the case ready for it's return. The bottom tray of the case was very poor I re lined with dark brown felt.

gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  19. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

Well here's a photo of the two razors mentioned in my post above.
    The 1941 Ranger Tech on the left is all original.
    The 1940 Milord as mentioned in my last post has been re plated in 24 ct Gold, plus I re lined the tray inside the case with dark brown felt.
    The original owner of the Milord for some reason decided to file down the 'wings' on the center bar, this doesn't affect the loading of the blade it centers fine. It seemed to me an odd thing to do :think002:.

[​IMG]

Jostalli, Darkbulb and gorgo2 like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow stunning.... I kinda doubt I can make mine look like that :)
    (Haven't attempted cleaning it yet..too many other razors to clean right now)...
    [​IMG]