Vulfix 2234 - oh so nice!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SharpSpine, Nov 9, 2011.

1. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Yesterday I added to my brush family when the Vulfix 2234 arrived from Phil @ Bullgoose (excellent service and super fast shipping btw!). All I can say about my new baby is that she is:
    1. oh so soft
    2. oh so plush
    3. oh so luxurious
    4. oh so excellent at creating lather
    This brush is a far cry from my Frank's Finest (I still love ya Frankie!) which is exactly what I was looking for. The gauge of the hair on the Vulfix is thinner than the Frank which I think gives it a less dense feeling (along w/ being a 2mm smaller knot) & the hairs are more flexible. I definitely would not call this a floppy brush. If this is what so many consider floppy then I know to not be afraid of the floppy term anymore. This brush feels great on my face and there is some actual backbone to it as long as you don't smash through it, it's actually there! The other thing I love about this brush is that it is not stingy with the lather. It releases it well (excellent flow through) while my Frankie tends to hold back on me in this department. Both brushes have very soft tips and I must say that now having the Vulfix I can better appreciate how good of a brush the Frank is for the money. I don't know what else to say about this brush so if you have any questions please post them and I'll try my best to answer. Now on to some pics...

The contents of my package from Phil:
    Unboxed.jpg

Pre Bloom Shots:
    PreBloom 1.jpg PreBloom 2.jpg PreBloom 3.jpg PreBloom 4.jpg Knot PreBloom.jpg

PreBloom Vulfix 2234 (22K/47L) vs Frank Fine Badger (24K/52L):
    vs Frank PreBloom 1.jpg

Lathered Up:
    Lathered.jpg

Photos of the bloom will continue in the next post...

2. SharpSpine

Bloom Shots:
    Bloom 1.jpg Bloom 2.jpg Bloom 3.jpg Bloom 4.jpg Knot Bloom.jpg

Bloom Vulfix 2234 (22K/47L) vs Frank Fine Badger (24K/52L):
    vs Frank Bloom 1.jpg

Now I just wonder if I can wait until Christmas to add my next brush to the family.

Attached Files:

3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice looking brush there, I need to invest in a nice badger brush just too much choice, and im also happy with the Omega 049 boar (well for now;))

SharpSpine likes this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Nice brush and it's just the right size for a good face lather.

SharpSpine likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! May it whip up many great lathers for years to come.

SharpSpine likes this.
  6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Hey Brian, glad to see it work out; you should probably order that Kent now. :happy102:

SharpSpine likes this.
  7. SharpSpine

I think I'll wait until my b'day for the Kent. How similar are the 2234 and the Kent? Trying a Simpsons is now top priority for brushes; though an Omega Silvertip for $45 is very tempting.

8. Sodapopjones

Well, like I mentioned I personally haven't used a Kent, however going by others observations it would seem more prefer the Kent, possibly due to more backbone.

As far as Omega goes, I wouldn't have a problem recommending them to anyone really, I would recommend one without the plastic plug if you're worried about longevity, however.

SharpSpine likes this.
  9. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Wow that's a really nice bloom there! Looks like a great deal and a really great brush!

SharpSpine likes this.
  10. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

I have a 2234 also and it's got the softest tips of any brush that I've ever used. I just wish that it had more backbone. The lack of backbone probably contributes to the soft feel of the tips.

EDIT #1: I received my 2234 free from a PIF and when I received it, it was already over three years old. The measurements on my 2234 are a bit different, ~22 mm knot and ~55 mm loft. I see that the loft on your brush is ~47 mm so it looks like Vulfix shortened the loft on this brush, hopefully resulting in more backbone.

In no uncertain terms, my brush is floppy. Even with three o-rings at the base of the knot, the brush is too floppy to be useable for me.

EDIT #2: The years of use probably also contributed to the incredible softness of the tips. I'd be interested in hearing if your 2234 retains its backbone through a couple of months of use, Brian. If it does, I'll probably purchase one.

SharpSpine likes this.
  11. Fido

Fido Member

My 2234 is 47mm loft. A 55mm loft really must be floppy!

SharpSpine likes this.
  12. SharpSpine

Since receiving my 2234 I've been using it almost exclusively. My boar is riding the pine and will most likely stay there for awhile. I have done a couple face lathers with my Frank Shaving Finest mainly for comparison's sake. The Vulfix definitely doesn't have the backbone of the Frank but there are a couple of factors that contribute to that...
    1. The Frank brush has a 2mm larger knot.
    2. The Frank brush is fine badger compared to Vulfix's super.

I've used everything I have with the Vulfix and have been very pleased with it. I have no problem using it with my soaps or creams. It picks up the soap from the Cella tub very easily. The hardest soap I use currently is an Arko stick stuffed into a mug. Again, no problem loading. I've even loaded a lot expecting it to need it and all I've ended up with is tons of excess lather that I wipe around my face and massage into my hands! I'm guessing the change in loft from 55 to 47 was a good thing because I can't imagine this brush at that high of a loft. There's definitely something to be said for the backbone on the Frank that I like, but the best way to describe the Vulfix is "luxury"! I am looking forward to comparing it to at least one other brush that I hope to be getting for Christmas which I suspect will be between the two I already own... a Simpson's Commodore X2.

13. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My experience is similar to SharpSpine. I have the Vulfix 2235, which has a 23mm dia and 52mm loft, which is slightly larger than the 2234, but probably very similar in many ways. Very effective, smooth, great flow-through, and not too floppy at all (yes-floppy, but not in a bad way). In many ways, I like my Vulfix brush as well or better than my finer (and much more expensive) brushes.

SharpSpine likes this.
  14. SharpSpine

Thanks for your input on the 2235 DLreno! I was considering that brush but I wanted a smaller knot than my 24mm Frank and the 2233 seemed a little too small so the 2234 won out and I'm very happy with it. I can't wait to compare it to a Simpson's which carry a completely opposite brush character profile than the Vulfix line does.

15. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

It is quite floppy!

[​IMG]

It's great comments like these that weaken my resolve. Of course, it certainly doesn't help that The Superior Shave has the 2234 in faux horn in super and silvertip badger.

16. Sodapopjones

Floppy doesn't bother me that much but the one thing I didn't like was the Silvertip *Simpsons Super* packed into a Vulfix knot, that's a little too floppy for me.