Preshave with electric razor

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Bill B, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Bill B

Bill B New Member

I'm looking for a preshave recipe specifically for use with electric razors. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA.

Bill

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Bill, most of our members use blades and wetshaving techniques, not electrics.

When I used an electric (a Panasonic Wet Dry) I used shaving cream from the can to serve as a lubricant while shaving.

Some people use talcum powder as a preshave before a rotary razor. They rub it into the skin to make sure it is dry before shaving. The talc serves as a lubricant.

I hope this helps.

3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Hi Bill. I don't know if your in Canada or the States...but here we have a product called "Williams 'Lectric Shave" (something like that) which can be found anywhere. It is a preshave splash that you apply a few minutes before shaving. It causes the hair to stick out a bit more and also to be drier so they are cut easier by the electric razor. At the same time it also leaves a bit of an oily residue to help improve the glide of the razor, therefore reducing any irritation.

When I went through my brief stint with an electric razor...I found this stuff and fell in love with it. It took away all razor burn and irritation from the electric razor. The product is dirt cheap as it is made ny the same people as aqua velva. See if you can find some. It should be readily available I think.

Tapped out while on the RedPill.

4. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

:signs011: On special occasions I have to use an electric razor (i.e. long hospital stay last year for example). Williams Lectric Shave is without a doubt the best product to use with an electric razor, unless you have one of those fancy wet/dry things.

5. Bill B

Bill B New Member

Thanks for all the responses.

I do have a wet/dry electric razor. I had hoped that I could follow a recipe similar to some of those I've read about here (with tree tree oil, which I like very much). I'll give the Williams product a try, although I'm prepared to be disappointed with the fragrance.

Bill

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If is wet/dry then you can still use a brush and good soap or cream in place of the canned goo I used to use with it. That should work better and be better for your skin.
    Good fortune.

7. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

When I used an electric (used foil, rotary, and diamond cutter) I either used William's 'Lectric Shave or a Remington Powder Shaving Stick. If you can't find either, Talcum or Baby Powder or Baby Oil will work just fine.

8. Bill B

Bill B New Member

I tried baby powder this am and was very pleased with the result. I wonder if I can simply get some unscented powder and add tea tree oil to it... (sorry for the typo in my previous post)

Bill

9. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I would think adding anything to powder would turn it in to a paste. My experience has been that power does not mix well with any liquid.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think that is the correct viewpoint. I would a shower to allow moisture to build in the skin. When drying, completely dry the face, then after a minute or so, apply the powder then shave. Afterwards I would use the Tea Tree oil since it has healing properties and will help your face through the day.