Name Your Favorite Sandalwood Aftershave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Mitch, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Gentlemen,

I love sandalwood fragrances, esp Mysore Sandalwood. I have discovered some nice Sandalwood shave soaps but the fragrance doesn't linger as I would like. I would like to try a Sandalwood aftershave, possibly a nice aftershave splash. If you're a Sandalwood lover like me help me out and name your favorites so I have some to try out. Thanks for the help!

2. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

TOBS Sandlewood of course DSCN1584(1).jpg

The Soph Gent likes this.
  3. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I hate proctor and gamble and whatnot, but they make a mean sandalwood balm under the Art of Shaving. Saint Charles shave makes a nice one too, but their sandalwood is different than you might imagine (most are) and it has both alcohol and menthol in both the milk/balm and splash, if I remember correctly.

4. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Thanks fellas. I was considering TOBS, what is the consistency and staying power of the fragrance?

5. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Have you tried the TOBS sandalwood cream? Definately not my favorite...im supposed to be gettin the splash for christmas from the wife (she doesnt know I know lol) so I may keep the cream around to see how they pair up.......if the splash smells exactly like the cream.....im gonna PIF them bad boys!!!

6. gregindallas

It fads over about 15 mins. After that it's there but not overpowering. If you're looking for something stronger, might want to try TOBS Sandalwood Cologne.

41MTK6-QePL__SS500_.jpg

7. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Thanks. I am looking for a sandalwood fragrance that ideally will last for a few hours. I love the smell of my shave soap but that is gone 30 min after my shave. Never been very into fashiony colognes... too many chemicals but I like smelling nice and just love the smell of a good sandalwood. I could smell that all day. Maybe I will check out the TOBS Cologne?

8. gregindallas

Just remember with cologne, with great power comes great responsibility.:D

RyX, Seamus and Mitch like this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

@latherman87
    Let me know how that splash works out for you.

10. Latherman87

Ill tell ya what...get a hold of me around christmas and if I dont like it ill PIF it to ya if you dont have any by then...itll just take me one use to know for sure if I want it....i havent tried any other sandalwood shaving products besides the TOBS cream and if they all smell like that.....I dont want em lol.....but iv heard most sandalwood scents can vary greatly between brands.

11. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

@latherman87
    Deal! You're right about the variation in scent. Years ago I used to wear Sandalwood essential oil for fragrance and had very mixed results. My favorites are the Sandalwood's that smell well...woody. I have sampled some oil's that were very sweet and kinda sickening to my nose. I think that's because some blend them with everything from orange to patchouli.

12. Latherman87

Iv been meaning to try more sandalwood scented shaving products but its not on the top of my list.....I mainly wAnt to try a sandalwood shave soap instead of cream...so I may have to give that stuff a go....not sure what brand though

13. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I'm sure that are lots of good ones out there. The one that I would highly recommend is made by Crabtree and Evelyn. It comes in a handsome teak wood bowl, or you can just buy the replacement puck too - that stuff smells terrific! Makes you want to roll around in it. You won't be disappointed with this stuff. In fact the fragrance of their Sandalwood shave soap is what inspired me to seek out a splash or cologne. Really what I'm looking for is a cologne or aftershave that smells exactly like their shave soap.

14. Latherman87

Ill definately have to check that stuff out!

15. RandDT

RandDT New Member

Have you tried The Art of Shaving products. They are a little pricey, but I haven't found a good Sandalwood that isn't.

16. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I'm not too experienced in AOS products. We have an AOS shop in my town and I have stopped in and sampled some aftershaves. I do know that all of their fragrances are made with 100% natural essential oils and most are Jojoba oil based so they should be good choices for moisturizing and sensitive skin. I use plain Jojoba as my aftershave lotion... beautiful stuff. The one thing I noted about the aftershave I sampled is that the fragrance dissipated almost immediately which is either good or bad. It wasn't the Sandalwood though.

17. RandDT

RandDT New Member

I noticed last night that The Shave Den has some sandalwood products. Have you heard any favorable reviews about their stuff? I might try at least one of their samples.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Love the TSD stuff!

19. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Casswell Massy makes a nice sandlewood cologne. It is a touch different than most being a little sweeter than most but the better half likes it and she will straight up tell me if she doesnt like a smell. I also love AOS goods.

20. The Soph Gent

The Soph Gent Member

I'm in the same boat as you Mitch. At least you have it narrowed down to 1 scent. I'm still experimenting with the whole layering thing. Since getting back into real shaving;), I have been looking at many different lines looking for just the right scent. Then if I'm lucky I will use everything in that line.
    I am leaning towards the sandalwood scent also, but haven't found the right combo yet.

"RanDT" had a good suggestion to go to the TSD store. I ordered some AS samples from them but haven't tried them yet.