Prior to the invention of the blade dispenser

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

How did men store blades before use? I am envisioning my grandfather standing in his shave den with a bunch of safety blades without any wrappers around them bound by a rubber band.:transport016

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I bet money they had a wraper around them and placed them in a little cardboard box, much like the SHARP and 7AM blades come in.

Wraping Papers have been around for a long, long time.

3. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I think the first disposable blades came with wrappers. Before that, we were using either some kind of straight razors or very thick, interchangeable blades that actually had to be honed.

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

The cardboard box would qualify, in my mind, as a dispenser of sorts. I guess the innovation from Gillette was the fact that one could slip blades out of the box one by one rather than having to open the entire box and expose all of the blades contained in there.

My family really does not know much about my grand pop, he died when my pop was three and grandma did not talk much about him. Only thing I know about him is his first name. I am managing to put together a fairly good idea of what his shave den looked like. Also have a fair idea of what great grandpa Solomon's shave den looked like.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Old men were funny back then.

They could go their whole lives with one soap, one brush, one razor. :rolleyes:

6. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

My grandkids will probably joke about their grandpa that needed 10 brushes and 20 razors :rolleyes:

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

..........and now they are for sale on some auction site, rusty, limp, green and dusty...................

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Solomon was the first of his family to live in the US and had seven sons and eight daughters and died around the 1940s. So as consequence his den was probably very basic, with fifteen kids running around there is not much time to linger in the den and get the job done. Probably had a straight and worried about keeping it away from little fingers.

Benjamin only had two kids but was the type to follow the heard and probably had a 1904 Clasic type, with some of the early blades. Solomon was not Benejamin's dad, that's his father-in-law.