Single Edge Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What is your opinion of the quality of the shave you get from a single edge razor?

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

You are referring to Gems, Shick Injectors and the like correct?

Raf

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yes, he is.

I moved this post to it's own thread, from the Gem auction thread.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Injectors are great shavers, if you get a good blade with them (CVS brand is lousy).

5. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Used both.

Got some USA Shick blades for the injector, which are very nice.

The injector is really good for detail work. It's like a little sports car zipping around your face.

The GEM is like a bulldozer. It's very efficient, maybe too efficient. I've gotten used to doing multiple passes and enjoying the slower shave process. But when I need a quick shave, I reach for the GEM and a Ted Pella blade and do one ATG pass with some neck clean-up. It doesn't do a perfect job, but removes enough of the whiskers so I pass at work.

The GEM isn't really easy to use under the nose. I do a sideways pass based on the advice of other more knowledgeable GEM users, and I never get it super smooth there, even if I take my time. But, again, it's presentable.

6. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Good razor, good razor blade, good prep, good lather, good technique = GOOD SHAVE!!!

DE, SE, or straight. It works for all of them...

Enjoy your shave...:D

7. Smedley

Smedley New Member

With the usual amount of personal subjectivity thrown in for good measure. :D

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I imgaine that the blades are super easy to find. Walk into any hardware store anywhere in the world and there will be blades.

9. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Don't use the blades from the hardware store...

They aren't designed for shaving...

You can find a SE razor at Wal-Mart or CVS or you local pharmacy designed for shaving (TREET OR ASR made) that are "acceptable" for shaving with a SE razor. Not the best but acceptable. Ted Pella sells them by the gross that are ASR made but do a pretty good job.

Enjoy our shave... :D

10. fritz

fritz New Member

I've never tried the GEM variety of SE, but I have an E-2 and a J-1 Schick that I use now and then. They do give nice shaves, even with the CVS ASR blades. I'm going to try some of Ted Pella's and probably some Feather Super Pros as well. I guess I have to consider them a "variety" type of shave, nice for a change now and then.

11. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

With the injector razor, the Schick blades made in the USA are some of the best, especially the older "Plus Platinum" ones. The stores all tend to have the newer German Schick blades, which I haven't tried, but I've heard that they are worse than the ones made by American Safety Razor (who makes the "store brand blades" plus Ted Pella's and Personna).

I like the American Safety Razor blades, but some people have trouble with the injecting mechanism of the case.

12. jfrancisco

jfrancisco New Member

I get good results with my GEM razor. Using Ted Pella blades and "no pressure" technique, I can get a presentable shave with it. I too use my GEM mostly when I am in a hurry as it is an aggressive razor and I can get really close in one pass. If I am careful though and take my time, it is also one of my best shavers as well. I have problems shaving under my nose with ALL razors, which is one reason I've copped out and wear a goatee. ::kngt