Back to basics: brush terminology

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Sodapopjones, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Aw carp... I forgot to say "Great job Aaron!" earlier, and now it's probably too late for me to say it. :(

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Bill, your dentist must be pleased with that smile, wince, grit ... oh well, the dentist must be pleased!

Dridecker likes this.
  3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I'll let it slide this time, you know good deed of the day thing and all.

swarden43 and Dridecker like this.
  4. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

:)There were some terms that I wasn't familiar with so thank you for the info.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  5. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Thanks for your great tips Aaron - I really do appreciate it :)

Sodapopjones likes this.
  6. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for this information.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  7. Sodapopjones

Added and moved some stuff around, cheers!

8. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Awesome job Aaron!!

I needed this..

Sodapopjones likes this.
  9. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Can't believe I'm just now getting around to reading this.

Very well done Aaron.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  10. Sodapopjones

Thanks gentleman, just when I think its about done I find more stuff to add; added a couple more terms.

alpla444 likes this.
  11. MikekiM

Aaron, is flow-through entirely dependent on the the brush or does the soap/cream and how well you create the lather play a role as well? Since I've notice that the same brush releases various lathers in different ways, I wonder if the hydration level of the lather or some other characteristic impacts how the lather releases.

12. Sodapopjones

I would say product does have some play in the characteristics of flow, D.R. Harris soap makes for a very thick lather; however in my personal experience the actual brush itself seems to be the major factor in flow.

13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great post on the workings of a brush. Well done:happy096:

Sodapopjones likes this.
  14. MikekiM

How 'bout flow-through with boar as opposed to badger?

I've made the observation that boars release the lather much quicker.. when they are done, they're done and you can't even get a squeeze out of them. On the other hand, some of the best, most luxurious lather comes out of the badger brush when you give it a light squeeze for the last pass..

I would love a post similar to this one specific to boar. I have four now and each is unique in how it builds and delivers lather and I don't know enough about them to understand why they respond as they do.

battle.munky likes this.
  15. Sodapopjones

Mike, my observations are the same regarding boar... I think that the stiffer denser gauge of hair and its nature of repelling water make for a brush that flows the best; however boar seems to dump its lather less efficiently as noted.

I personally never squeeze out lather from any brush, I notice doing so seems to over aerate the lather; I prefer to use my chin. When I have build up of lather in my brush I use my chin to scoop the lather out from the collar to the tips of the bristle, which leaves a large dollop on my chin and then I proceed to re-apply it to my face.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. I've noticed the same between boars and badgers.

And Aaron, I call that "the chin roll". I put the base of the knot against my chin, roll the brush, and get that large dollop you mention!

Sodapopjones likes this.
  17. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

This is what I do as well, in fact I did it this morning.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  18. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I think if Jay Leno tried "the chin roll" that lather would shoot out of his bathroom!

Sodapopjones and swarden43 like this.
  19. Sodapopjones

Haha, "The Chin Rollers" ;)

swarden43 likes this.
  20. Dan72w

Dan72w Member

Any info on brush break in? I've heard this term thrown around but what exactly is breaking in? Does it matter the type of bristle, being badger, horse, boar or synthetic? Thanks!

Jade likes this.