Clubman Special Reserve...

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by GDCarrington, Dec 28, 2011.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I like Clubman Special Reserve, but I don't like the plastic bottle it comes in and what it does to the liquid in terms of altering the scent. So I decided to get a glass bottle and transfer the Clubman Special Reserve from the original bottle to a slightly larger Avon bottle purchased on e-Bay.

Here is my little project...

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Now to allow the Clubman Special Reserve to lose some of that "plastic" dullness and allow the scent to bloom.

BigD, 178-bplatoon, JRod22 and 8 others like this.
  2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice,Gary! I really like that bottle. Does it change the scent that much being in plastic? And by putting it in glass can it transform back into what it should be?

Llyr and GDCarrington like this.
  3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I really like that bottle too!

Llyr and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Plastic is bad on scents. It seems to absorb and change the scent. Now as to putting it back into glass, I have been told by some it does restore the scent, by others it does not. More people seem to believe that the scent tends to go back towards the original than do not. It may be dependent upon scent type as to how much of an effect it has. I also like how the new bottle looks.

5. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I love the bottle. Clubman Special Reserve is one of my favorite after shaves, although my daughter says I smell like an antique store when I wear it.

Llyr and CyanideMetal like this.
  6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never smelled special reserve, but it's on my radar to get. The glass bottle looks a whole lot nicer too.

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Gary, nice looking bottle. Learned something about how plastic alters the scent, I did not know that.

8. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

I transfer all my splashes to glass bottles, it really improves the scent. I use any glass bottle that has been used up the kitchen, Soy Sauce, Hot sauce etc

JRod22 and GDCarrington like this.
  9. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Ahhh, now I see the problem with Lilac Vegetal - the plastic bottle!

I loved my sample of Special Reserve but it is all gone :( Must be time to get some more!

bittermormon likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I used some of the Reserve yesterday and it does seem to smell a little fuller than when it was in plastic. Maybe with some additional time, it will fill out even more.

178-bplatoon and Mark1966 like this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I used this again today and it definitely improved with time in glass!

178-bplatoon and CyanideMetal like this.
  12. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Good to know. Thanks, Gary.

13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Thanks, Gary.

I just got a decant of SR in a glass bottle. I really like the scent. Different from Clubman.

14. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

I much prefer the SR to the ordinary one. Trouble is my wife and daughters loath the stuff!

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like the glass bottle! I am not an expert, but I do know that plastics are permeable to scents , while glass is not. So, at the very least, plastic will cause a scent to lose some strength.

16. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Just picked up a bottle of SR. Very unusual scent. I can't really tell if I like it or not. I will have to give it some time. Its kind of strange, I have numerous Pinauds but I always keep on migrating back to Old Spice. Maybe because its the smell I grew up with as my dad always wore it.

17. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Sweet! I need to start amassing some empty bottles to do this, too. My Lilac Vegetal may bloom differently after a while in a glass bottle.

18. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I asked my wife about this glass vs. plastic bottle business because I had the same concern and she said you're crazy and that there is nothing in plastic bottles that could have an impact on fragrance. Just putting that out there. She knows quite a bit about it and it makes sense because honesty, would perfumers use plastic if it had an effect?

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. They would. Glass is more expensive than plastic. Glass is easier to damage than plastic. Glass cost more in terms of shipping weight plastic. Cost tends to make manufacturers determine decision making to increase profitability.

Most Quality Fragrances come in Glass not in Plastic.

I have been able to tell the difference in products that came in glass then were switched to plastic with no change in the ingredients in the product.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

With postage costs going up in the US , Canada , and the UK . We may see everything in plastic. Costs for shipping on shaving related items are almost as much as the item , if not more. Don't see how some of these small Co. can survive.