A place all its own: Frank Shaving Company Synthetic Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Aug 6, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

They're in! I just got notice that he received them and mine has been mailed today.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent news!

3. sas71

sas71 Member

was looking at the FS Finest again last night..wish i had bought one months ago before the price went up

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I got another synthetic one a week ago. The knots are exactly the same as the TGN synthetics and I really like mine.

The market is reacting to the demand by...increasing the price. Too true.

5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

The one I ordered my wife just came today. I can't belie e how soft the bristles are. The only synthetic brush I have handled is the Body Shop's. This one seems much softer and better made to me!

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is still quite the little surpriser, even after this much time. Excellent price, quality and comfort!

To me it is somewhere between a badger and a boar in terms of softness at the tips and backbone towards the handle. Just the way I like it!

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

I broke down and ordered one after reading all the positive reviews. I've only used it a couple of times so far, but I'm really impressed. I'll keep this one in the rotation for a long while. I'd easily recommend this brush to experienced and new wet shavers.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Used this brush today. Still looks as good a when I got it. The only real visible difference against an animal hair brush is that this one will not bloom based on the fixed fibers. The fibers can be bent out of place, but warm water and hanging it vertically downward seems to allow them to rebound back into place. This and the custom synthetic I put together are my go to brushes.

9. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Have you tried th men-U synthetic. If so how does it compare? I quite like it. I also have an Omega synthetic which does nothing for me. Too soft .....and it just clumps in use. The Frank shaving looks interesting....but I dont want another white elephant

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I thought about the men-U, and the Muhle but did not buy either. The reason was that I was not willing to commit 70-80USD for a synthetic when I started. I was looking for a cheap synthetic and found the brush I like the best.

http://www.men-uusa.com/men-upremiershavingbrushandchromestandwithfreeshavingskintravelset.aspx

Every time I look at the men-U, it looks just like the Frank or the one I custom made with a knot from TGN (which is exactly the same as the Frank).

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...is-a-way-synthetic-redux-picture-heavy.25519/

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

IanTang has this brush available again on e-bay if people were disappointed in not being able to get one earlier due to sell out conditions.

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

After using the Frank's (I have the Star shaving version) synthetic for a while, I think this is an awesome beginner brush. When Newb's ask what brush should I buy, I would have no hesitation recommending this knot.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have begun the DE Blade Challenge again and will be working on 8 additional blades. One of the things I had to do was go back to the exact setup that I used to perform the original testing (same razor, brush, mugs, and lather). The one thing that amazed me was the Tweezerman that I once touted as the best beginners brush based value for the dollar now seems a distant second to a brush that cost roughly the same but performs far beyond the Tweezerman. I still think the Tweezerman is a good brush, but now is only an average to below average entrant into the world of brushes. Well, I will use the Tweezerman until the next eight blades are tested then it is back to the FS Synthetic.

Alebrewer likes this.
  14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

That was quite a challenge trying to order the brush!! His badger brushes were about the same price.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They have a good price range on entry level badgers and I don't think that any of the brushes are over 50 USD before shipping.

16. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

I was actually wondering as I did my research about shaving brushes, why there was nothing anywhere about the "new" high-quality synthetic bristles that have been around for quite a few years in the makeup brush market were being used in shave brushes. I make a product that requires an extremely dense, high quality kabuki-style brush, and some of them are SO similar to shaving brushes I was puzzled as to why they wouldn't be appropriate for shaving. Nice to know somebody figured it out. The synthetics have gotten SO good that for the mineral makeup market, I find that I prefer a luxury synthetic. Much easier to sanitize, and they wear like iron. I wish I'd seen this thread before I ordered tweezermans for myself and my daughter and an omega synth for my son.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks. Now this article will allow you to see the bigger picture.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brush-synopsis-generations-updated.33577/

18. Laurie Rosati

Laurie Rosati New Member

After seeing a video clip of how badgers in China are skinned alive I will never ever buy a badger brush. I can't describe how disgusted I am and how difficult it is to get the image out of my mind.
    I've never been an animal rights activist but this is unbelievable. The people doing this are the animals and I mean it in the most derogatory way. Not the badgers.

19. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

Thanks, GDCarrington, for the link. VERY interesting. Also, I'd just like to say that I find this board extremely refreshing: it seems to be peopled completely by intelligent, articulate adults., who treat each other with commendable respect...I'm not sure I've ever come across an interest-based message board so free of drama, nonsense, and pointless blathering. Kudos to each and every one of you!

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Um, I've seen that video too. What you watched was a raccoon dog being skinned alive, not a badger. Badgers are not raised in cages, they are wild and considered nuisance pests. They are killed for food. The fur is a bi-product of that. That does not make what happened in the video any less wrong, but I thought you should at least know the truth, rather than jump to erroneous conclusions.

GDCarrington likes this.