Kent Rules!!!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Michael, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Why do I read so little about Kent Brushes? There are a few posts over at SMF, fewer at B&B, but Kent lovers seem to be in the minority. Can't understand why.

I own two brushes. The EJ Medium Silvertip and the Kent BK8. The EJ is very nice, but I find myself reaching for the Kent most often. It's huge. It's a bit floppy. It's never lost a hair. It lathers extremely well. It's supremely soft. It's decadent. In short, it's an AWESOME brush! A bit steep at $128 (delivered) from Kent direct (20% discount code, GBK1777, still worked as of 1/4/07). But WHAT a brush!!!

Oh yeah, I ordered on 1/4, received on 1/9. UK to CT in 5 days and two of those were the weekend. I still haven't received my B&B brush (Finest horn ordered on 1/8) and, while I expect it to be an excellent brush, I can't imagine liking it more than the BK8.

Anyway, just curious why these don't seem to be any more popular than they are. Kent has been around since 1777 - that's a VERY long time so they must be doing something right! Oh...and they sorta have PRESENTATION nailed...ya think?!

Attached Files:

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Michael - how would you compare the Kent pure to "other" pure badger brushes.

Meaning, I can't see a pure badger brush being floppy.....

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

The BKs (BK4/8/12) aren't pure badger...they're silvertips. Kent's lesser models (BK2/T4/T8/T12) are pure badger, but I've never seen one. I really have no way of comparing the BK8 to anything other than the the EJ or my old "pure bristle" brush that I used for years before "discovering" how to do it right. I'm sure there are many who would argue with me, but I love my Kent!

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have had almost the same thought about Muehle Pinsel brushes.. Why oh why does it seem that nobody uses MP.. Theyre very nice brushes with a bit lower price than most.. I have a bunch of them and liking all of them.. My absolute fav must be one of my SuperBadgers.. Great Stuff :happy026

5. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Dargon im with you ! I bought a 17 euro superbadger in black handle which performs so well ! its my daily brush I rarely reach for the BK8 of Kent.

Both are underrated. The superbadger performs miracles on soaps and creams.
    it was a sale going on from Muhle when I got it normal price for this brush would be 34 euro ! so why didnt I get two indeed as a back up at Sale price !!!

The Kent Bk8 was my 2nd brush in wetshaving journey ! my 1st the Tweezerman you can imagine going from pure badger to silvertip was quite a Shock. The Kent Bk8 is awesome a bit floppy agree but a monster in disguise .

Kent and Muhle excellent value !

6. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I have a Vulfix, a C&E EJ BBB, a Simpson Tulip T2, a Plisson pure, the SMFIII by Rooney and the B&B finest. All of them perform well. The BK8 has certainly his own personality and I’ve heard it’s a great latherer.

I have yet to find a brush that completely sucks.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

...you mean "suck" in a bad way ......right ??
    My B&B Finest really sucks too, but its different. :cool:

8. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have a BK4 which is a medium sized brush with a 24mm knot. It is floppy.....but absolute luxury. I am inclined to use it only with creams. Highly recommended.

9. Wecktwonicwhizzer

Wecktwonicwhizzer New Member

I agree that there seems to be a dearth of chatter about the splendid range of silver tips from Kent. One thing I noticed though, there appears to be only one vendor in the US. While it also happens to be a Brick and Click operation, their prices are obscenely high, e.g. $320 for a BK12. :shocked003
    I have a BK12 and enjoy it immensely. Luxury is an understatement when it comes to lathering with this 32mm behemoth, but is it a $320 item?

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I can't imagine ANY brush being a $320 item!! Especially when the same item is available within just a few days from the manufacturer (http://www.kentbrushes.com) for $155 plus shipping. BK12 factory list, $194.40 USD, less 20% (coupon code GBK1777 - still valid, I just checked). Shipping is $15.30. Total, $170.82. Just about half price! Who ARE those price gougers anyway?! :rolleyes:

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Used my new BK4 for the first time today - I immediately fell in love with it. Kent is the company to go for in the future for me.

12. Wecktwonicwhizzer

Wecktwonicwhizzer New Member

For an imagination expanding experience try this.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

my favorite from Kent is the BK8--a monster of a brush that works like a champ!

Jeff

14. dangert

dangert New Member

My BK2

I was lucky to spot a new BK2 on Ebay for about $25. While not a silvertip, it is a great everyday brush. I enjoy it equally with both creams and soaps.

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den dangert!

Nice find on the BK2!

16. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Good Show Dangert I wish I had that much luck on ebay would have been a great beginners brush. Kent doesnt make goofy products so im sure the BK2 is even a great value......... :signs107

PS

Where are my manners.. The Queen reminds me luckily ..

Welcome and enjoy the Shave Den .

17. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Good score, there, dangert! Welcome aboard!

18. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Unfortunately.....the discount code doesn't seem to work any more:(

19. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yes it does! GBK1777. You have to go part way through the order before they ask for it, but I just tried it and it still works. Called a "Coupon Code". Near the bottom of the page where you enter your name and address.

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

JUst noticed that you're in the UK. Maybe it's just for us Yanks?