Coffee newbie in need of help!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Latherman87, Dec 12, 2011.

1. EndlessFields

EndlessFields Member

Don't think that all real men who enjoy wet shaving like coffee. I can't stand the stuff. Now tea, that's a whole other story. Anyway, make the choice based on what you like, not what everyone else does.

BassTone likes this.
  2. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Yea I usually get anything I drink caffeine free....tea...pop...whatever.....I dont like getting jittery or anything so I never mess with it

3. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Hi Brett,
    Well, I'm a self professed coffee snob - just sayin.' :eatdrink013: I'm a purist. I drink it with a touch of half n' half or black, but never sweetened. I use locally roasted coffee's, both blends and single origin types, Pete's, Wegman's top level options, and Trader Joe's. I never buy flavored coffee's because I want to experience the BEAN not some artificially flavored, overly sweet adulteration to one of nature's most perfect of gifts!

I grind my beans in a burr grinder and brew with a manual drip Chemex, "mocha" pot or French Press.

I would find a local 'mom n pop' high-end coffee roaster and cafe of good reputation in a nearby city or town and request something in a light roast and medium body. I'd try it with a little cream first without sugar, and go from there adding or subtracting sugar and/or cream to taste. A shop like that should be able inform you and talk with you about their coffees and help you - like a good cigar shop!

Coffee, like beer, wine and whiskey is an acquired taste, and I liked none of these....at first. But I've become a connoisseur of coffee and beer in particular. That doesn't mean everyone likes these tastes or that they should. Different strokes for different folks and that's all right too! :happy088:

Enjoy your your journey! :)

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I agree Peets is a good coffee, way better than Starbuck's. I have one around the corner from where I live and I'll occasionally get a bag of French Roast or House Blend. I don't think there main headquarters is in Berkeley though I see they have a large complex in an industrial park here in Alameda County, that maybe the warehouse and admin. offices. Ten years ago before Peets had a big presence here in Oakland they had one shop in our area, it was identifiable from the street because the line for a cup of their java was literally down the street and around the corner. Locals told me " the line starts at 7am."

5. BassTone

If you are not used to caffeine in your system and generally try and avoid it, a quality roasted, properly brewed cup of joe may have you asking your local cafe if they need their ceiling painted and their employee's tires rotated. You might want to try decaf. But keep in mind, decaf does not have the same flavor profile and depth as it's true-blue counterpart, many I've met share this opinion. That said, this doesn't mean decaf is awful and you'll hate it, just something to keep in mind.

6. Latherman87

Oh trust me I was plannin on decaf anyways...thats the only coffee I have been drinking when I do drink it

7. BassTone

Ummm, I'm a bit confused. I thought you had never tried coffee before. Did I misunderstand you initial post?

8. Latherman87

No I posted this way back in early december lol...iv tried coffee since iv posted this....but only like 4 times

9. BassTone

:happy102: Oops, sorry. Totally didn't even look at the post date. Sometimes it's the obvious things that just go right past me. Cheers! But anyway, how are you liking the coffee experience you've had?

10. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

I'm also a newbie coffee lover. About a month ago I bought ibrik and yesterday I bought a hand coffee grinder. Love the experience. I brew coffee 5 days a week before work and then drink tea on Saturdays and Sundays. This routine is just like wetshaving - a never ending process of learning and exploration. Besides, I found a nice big cup of fresh coffee to be a great booster for physical workouts. Heavy metal music and black coffee gives you additional 'flash of power' to do more when you workout. For me it works in strength training and martial arts also. All IMHO, of cause...

11. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I concur with bassnotes. I am religious about my coffee and I'm fortunate to live in the Twin Cities which is a good town for Java. Not to be snobbish but I only drink Starbucks if I must. Simple tips: buy whole bean and grind it at home, measure 1Tbsp or heaping per 1 cup of water. Some swear by French press but drip makers work. If you are lucky enough to have a food Coop buy your beans there in the bulk section (Peace or Equal Exchange are brands to seek out) I love French Roast. Stay far away from Folgers or the like. Enjoy!

BassTone likes this.
  12. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

I personally like mine strong and black. I've been using a french press travel mug and I love it. I get whole bean and grind it at home. As far as the coffee itself I really like the Members Mark french roast from Sam's club, I also think Dunkin' Donuts is ok but over rated. BTW SWMBO likes her cream and sugar with a little coffee in it:eatdrink013:

13. Grande

Grande Member

If I'd known about coffee when I was in high school I'd've gone to a better college...

14. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

I swear I must be imune to caffeine....I could drink tons and tons of it and not feel any jitters or sudden buzz of energy....It's very weird...I still love to drink both coffee and tea :)...like a few on here...I like it black...but with the tiniest bit of sweetener in it

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There ya go!! STRONG and BLACK. I'm gonna like this guy!

16. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Here's how I went about coffee:

Instant+instant creamer>Regular Home machine + liquid creamer > Filter cone drip + liquid creamer > French press + liquid creamer > French press + half and half

After that, it became all about black coffees, drips, espressos, italian moka pots, and the aeropress for me. I now grind my coffee at home too.

On an earlier post, the brewing of coffee releases the sugars in the bean and isn't the same taste. Although I find the taste sweet than the smell (addicted).

I find restaurant coffee to be too bitter and burnt and overextracted and underwhelming and watery. I think the most accurate way to get your feet wet is some ground coffee from the store, some mellita filters and a filter cone. It's a very cheap way to start and it's a way that I still use heavily (every morning in my thermos).

If you want to know more about the filter cone, shoot me a PM.

17. bamabubba

bamabubba Member

I drink mine strong and black or sometimes with a touch if cream. Back when I had more time and fewer kid expenses, I bought only green beans and roasted/blended my own. Religious about it would have been an understatement

18. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I use an inexpensive La Pavoni burr grinder, Larry's Beans or Counter Culture Coffees(local Chapel Hill and Hillsborough and Durham, North Carolina companies). I prefer Guatemala Antiqua or Sumatra coffees and light to medium roast. French press is best.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

How did you roast 'em? I use a stove top popper with very good results.

20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I've never roasted beans, but heard on NPR's The Splendid Table that the stove top popper is the way to go.