The Haul: January 16th - January 22nd, 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Jan 15, 2012.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Winter has finally arrived for many of us in the States. Got any goodies for colder weather? Got the post-holiday acquisition disorders? Let us know what you got so we can all "ooooo" and "aahhhhh." :)

Post up those hauls and keep the pics coming!

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, here is what I have to show today. Yes, it is the first model or Schick's equivalent of a Gillette Double Ring. These are just less known (hyped) than the Double Ring.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

It has some wear and has some plating loss on the head, but it is a unit from the first production run.

Here is some more information from:

http://www.schick.com/us/shaving-history.shtml

Schick® traces its origins to the inventive U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Jacob Schick. He retired from the military in 1910, but then returned to service at the start of World War I.
    During his respite from the army, Colonel Schick staked mining claims in Alaska and British Columbia. During one particularly severe winter, while the temperature hovered at 40ø F below zero, he noticed he had a difficult time trying to shave.

About this time, he sprained his ankle and was forced to remain in camp alone for several months. It was during this lonely period that he first conceived the idea for a dry shaver and sketched out a design that could shave without water or lather. After the war, he attempted to generate interest in his design, but had no luck and began to work on other inventions.

In 1921, Colonel Schick invented a new type of safety razor — the Magazine Repeating Razor. Inspired by the army repeating rifle, it had replacement blades stored in the handle ready to be fed into shaving position without the chore and danger of handling a sharp blade. Production of this innovative razor started in Jersey City in 1926. These razors were the forerunners to the famous Schick Injector Razor.

In 1927, Schick succeeded with his dry shaver, and a year later became so convinced that the "wet shave" method would be doomed by the electric razor that he started a separate corporation to manufacture and sell Schick electric razors. He sold all his interest in the Magazine Repeating Razor Company to the president of the American Chain and Cable Company.

In 1946, Eversharp, Inc. acquired the Magazine Repeating Razor Company and renamed it the Schick Safety Razor Company. American Chain and Cable produced the product for Schick until 1958, when Schick set up its own manufacturing operations in Bridgeport, Connecticut. In 1961, Schick moved its manufacturing facilities into its present home in Milford, Connecticut, where the headquarters for the Shaving Products Group now resides. The following years were busy ones for Schick as it introduced many product innovations.
    In 1963, Schick became the first U.S. manufacturer to sell stainless steel blades coated with Teflon. This non-stick material improved comfort by reducing friction during the shave. Five years later, Schick pioneered another innovation when scientists succeeded in depositing a thin layer of chromium to the blade edge, making it more durable. After the acquisition of Schick by Warner-Lambert in 1970, steady technical progress moved forward as it had in the past.

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

While we have a dialog on "Holy Grails".....I think this one qualifies on so many levels....;)
    This definitely catches Schick putting a shaving tool into the hands of shavers in the mid 1920's worthy of Buck Rogers...:) And talk about a razor for traveling....You've got almost the whole shaving kit in one cylinder....
    The whole Schick Repeater Series was so far ahead of their time....That they still are....

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

FINALLY GOT HERE. WOO! Can't wait to give this a shot tomorrow morning. The Mighty Midget is small, but not too small for my liking, I find it to be the perfect size. Definitely my next will have to be an Omega 599. Urgently waiting to try the new 37C as well. Merkur for some reason has been doing a great job on my face, my Jaggers have been put to 2nd row!

[​IMG]

Dridecker, battle.munky, Asd and 4 others like this.
  5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well done! That's the first one I've seen that has a serial number on it... I'd hold on to that one.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Enjoy the brush!

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is why I think it is a 1926 and yes, I am going to hold on to it.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I now have a Type A a Type B and a Type C and I will keep all of them.

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Let me know when you have all three B models and all three C models. Then we'll change your title to 'Tricky Schicky'. :):happy102:

swarden43 and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Neolithium

Oh I plan on it. SOMEONE (Aaron) got me addicted to Omegas. ;) Tomorrow's SoS I'll fire up a little blurb about how she performs with face lathering.

lradke likes this.
  11. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

OMG folks, I don't even know where to begin!!!

DSCN0795.JPG

I've been dying to try them all. It's going to be torture trying to figure out which shaving cream/soap to start with tomorrow!!! I know, I know, this is a good problem to have. I do know the P. 160 smells delicious and I'd like to just eat it. Then again, the mentholated goodness of the Palmolive is also beckoning to me...

Dridecker, Asd, lradke and 5 others like this.
  12. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Nice haul...tough decision
    Enjoy

Mechguy likes this.
  13. Neolithium

Palmolive. I just got into mine this morning and fell in LOVE.

IAmTheJody and blanka like this.
  14. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

My order from BullGoose came Tuesday morning.
    IMG_0089 (Medium).JPG

Dridecker, wyatt46, Mechguy and 3 others like this.
  15. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Rec'd my small order from TSD today.I've always wanted too try out the vintage "spoiler" and Personna74's but they always go nuts on the bay .After poking around the store I found the spoilers and a couple other blades I wanted to try.When Wyatt46 sent me a sample of Dorco 300 ,which I found to be Smooth but Very,very mild and a few trashed that blade I have too check out the 301's.
    IMG_0090 (Medium).JPG

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

IMG_0544_1.JPG emofresh.jpg I went shopping at a Lebanese grocery store this evening on the way home from the office, and bought:

2x Gada Cool Mint SC tubes to send away.
    2x Lord Emofresh SC tubes which I'll keep for myself.

alpla444, lradke, wyatt46 and 3 others like this.
  17. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

I found the old Gillette Spoilers to be an excellent blade, too bad they are not more readally available.

18. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Just arrived from Spain today.......a Vie-Long 14846 mixed horse and badger

[​IMG]

Dridecker, tuco99, Mechguy and 4 others like this.
  19. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

sorry it's not all shave related, but it's all new to me this week and I feel like it's Christmas all over again :bounce015: In addition to recently becoming addicted to wetshaving, after 20 years of shaving my head, I'm growing it out and discovering the wonderful world of products for my slicked back greaser hair :cool: :happy108:

Which blades to start with :signs002: suggestion for a newbie are more than welcome!

* Ed Hardy EDT
    * C&E Nomad; AS, shave cream, EDT & body wash
    * Pomades; Murrays Original, Lucky 13 White Lightning, Lucky 13 Devils Deluxe, Lucky 13 Tru-Hold
    * DE Blades; Wilkinson Sword, Super-Max Super Stainless, Trig Silver Edge, Treet Platinum, Treet Durasharp, Tiger Super Stainless, Shark Super Stainless, Astra Superior Platinum, Derby Extra, Dorco ST300, Feather New Hi-Stainless, Personna Platinum.

I love sample packs !!!! I got the blades and the pomades in sample packs, and the C&E stuff in a little travel set ... perfect for the newly 'dicted :sad027:LOL

[​IMG]
    Lotsa new goodies by dusty5150, on Flickr

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What, no Dapper Dan?

Seriously though, nice haul.

Mechguy and Dusty5150 like this.