The $9.00 Shea Moisture Shave : Ultimate Shave Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Dridecker, May 16, 2010.

1. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Closest to me >60miles one way. And they don't do mail order on the brush. Next time?

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I would guess about 22mm with about 52 loft. Not very densely packed, but for $10 bucks, you can't really argue.

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob!

battle.munky likes this.
  4. battle.munky

No problem. If nobody has a chance to actually measure it, I will but I'll have to get back home first as I'm on the road. Should be back tomorrow.

5. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

They are a little floppy.

This past weekend, I actually just "reset" the knot in one of these. I rubber banded all the hair tightly together, cut it off at the top of the handle, cleaned the handle out and epoxied the hair back into the handle.

It works great now, took all the flop out of it. It's my new travel brush.

I plan on doing it again, so I can take photos and put them on here. The whole process only took about 30 minutes.

battle.munky likes this.
  6. battle.munky

Not a horrible idea, I may need to look into that. Thanks for posting the idea and I'd love to see the pics too.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I like mine as is, much better than the short lofted fat knot I bought in Spring of last year. A Thater which cost me $142.00

8. Java

Java Member

I noticed this thread a few days ago, and did a search on Target's website. Only 1 store in a 100 mile radius had them in stock. It happened to be the town where my mother-in-law lives. We just returned from having dinner with her, and of course, a visit to Target. I'll report back with the noob's perspective on it in the morning...............

battle.munky likes this.
  9. Jorge

Jorge New Member

10. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

+1 on the pics

11. Java

Java Member

OK, this is my first badger brush, and I've nothing to compare it to but my Burma Shave bristle (they don't say what kind of "bristle") brush. The Shea brush is much softer, of course, and works up a lather much quicker and easier. It feels really nice on the face. Maybe too nice. I think I'd like to find something with a little more backbone. Something between the two brushes I have. I haven't noticed it losing any bristles yet, but I've only used it the one time. Any thing I can get from a brick & morter store gets extra points from me, and so far I'm really happy with the purchase, and now I've got two brushes to rotate that I'm reasonably happy with. Again I don't really know any better yet, but for the price, I really don't see any reason not to buy one. Even if it's just to have a decent badger brush on hand to hand down to a friend or family member, it's worth having one.

12. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Bristle usually refers to a boar brush.

The Dridecker as its called around here very often (the Shea brush) is a great value for money badger. There are many other brushes out there that will fall between your two so have fun deciding on what's next.

13. battle.munky

I still use The Dridecker once a week if not more often and I don't recall ever losing a hair beyond the first shave or two. It is a bit floppy but it doesn't keep me from using it rather frequently and I have at least one brush that is close to 18 times as expensive to compare it to. While it lacks in luxury, it more than makes up for in utility. I think it is all a matter of choice with brushes and The Dridecker just seems to keep on being my choice. Its a good little brush and an EXCELLENT value.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Mine is on deck for tomorrow's shave. Always good for extra bases. Never disappointed.

15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm sure I've said it before on this forum but this badger is my favorite. It can do anything and then some.

16. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Shea brush works fine for me, too. Though I started using an Omega synthetic brush a week ago and it is great.

17. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

Did you ever get around to taking the pics?