How to use aftershave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by 5Savages, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I have to admit my ignorance. I've never used aftershave but I'd like to try it out. How do I apply it? Does it go on a wet face or dry face? Do you use went hands or dry hands? Is it the very last last thing you put on your face at the end of a shave? How much do you use? Will I smell like that all day?

Sorry, but my ignorance is preventing me from using any.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Both face and hands should be dry. Just a small splash in the hands should suffice. Most Aftershaves will wear off quickly because they are formulated to condition the skin, not as a primary scent. That is what colognes are for.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

4. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

follow what they said and you should be good to go friend!

5. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

You need to remember there are three main stages of facial skiing care with wet shaving. I the soap- for softening the beard, etc and Cleansing; the aftershave - as the skin Toner; and then a Moisturizer. So you alway Wash; Tone; and Moisturize.

6. 5Savages

How much is a "small splash"?

Thanks the help, guys.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Enough to fill the center of each cupped palm without spilling or running over.

8. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I don't know where you live, but if you live where winters can be hard and your house/office are dry in the cold season, aftershave splashes can be a bit too drying for some folks. I either go with a balm in this weather (I live West of Philly, PA - it's snowing as I write this) or mix a little Prep pre-post shave cream (or some such like) with my beloved Thayer's witch hazel, then do my aftershave splash - no more than what would fill a beer cap 1/2 way.

If you would like suggestions, I would highly recommend Malizia Uomo Vetyver from Shave A Buck (very soothing!) or Speick, available from several online dealers. Wally World available Gillette Cool Wave has a great modern scent that sticks with you, but isn't as healing and soothing as the aforementioned products. Ogallala Bay Rum is really nice too. I hear good things about the Proraso splash and balm...they are on my ever lengthening "short list" ;)

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's more than I use. I just pour maybe a teaspoon into one cupped palm.

Really, though, just experiment and find what works for you.

10. Oscroft

Oscroft New Member

That really depends on the individual and on the aftershave.

For me, I might sometimes use just a tiny amount, especially if it's a heavily scented one like Tabac. Or if it's a lighter one, like Italian Floïd blue, I'll use a good handful. And it also depends on how my shave went - I'll use a bigger splash if I'm feeling a bit of irritation and need more soothing.

So, really, it's something you need to work out for yourself according to your own tastes - I'd suggest you start by trying a very small splash, and work from there until you settle on the kind of amount that gives you the soothing and the fragrance that you feel best with.

Alan

11. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

+1
    With a splash like Proraso I like to be quite generous, but Musgo Real needs a different approach. When used in more than a few drops it leaves a sticky film on my skin. Of course you cannot splash a few drops around your face, so I make sure my hands are wet before I shake some drops into it, then rub my hands together and then spread it all over my face.
    Just experiment, what will work for you will be clear very soon.

12. 5Savages

Thanks, guys. I'm starting to understand the approach now.

13. 5Savages

While at Wallyworld, I looked through the shave section, saw this, and remembered it was mentioned so I brought it home. I really like the scent, as does my wife. I have to admit, though, that I did peel the labels off the glass bottle so it would look a bit classier on the bathroom vanity. I didn't really want to see "Gillette" anywhere near my razor.

BassTone likes this.
  14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I also use about a tea spoon worth. I lean towards the barber type brands (Clubman, Stephans, Master), among others. Of these 3, I find Masters to be the best for dry winter days. Even better, I find TSD's splashes to be super moisturizing in winter.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  15. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

Enjoy the Cool Wave, it's nice stuff. Nivea Cooling Balm from just about anywhere is nice too, especially in the dry winter months. Just a touch of menthol, but no real scent to speak of.

16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1. I agree 100%.:)