What hone should I buy?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by madmedic, Jan 26, 2012.

1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Currently I have a balsa and a felt paddle strop with chromium and diamond pastes. I use these to resharpen razors which have been honed by an expert. I want to be able to sharpen with a proper hone.....but dont want to spend too much money initially. I was thinking of buying a combination hone...specifically the Naniwa Combo Super Stone 3000/8000. Any comments from any of our resident honemeisters?

http://www.shaving.ie/product_images/w/703/naniwa-3000-8000-combo-stone__69558_zoom.jpg

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Honing broke me as a human, defeated me:) . I just sold some hones on ebay. I enjoy straight shaving immensely but did not get the hang of honing. I kept my two favorite razors, strops and chromox . I am going to do what you are currently doing just keep my razors honed by the pros who I have experience with and just tune them up at home. Much less hassle for me, same level of enjoyment. Good luck with honing its really a skill and art.

Thirdman47 and alpla444 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: And I'm no artist!

Hanzo likes this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have some straights and have been toying with the idea of honing, it can be costly to start, but I suppose you can get a good price for the hones on ebay if it dont pan out, I have been sending mine out to get done, I have a dove strop no paste though never tried it, does it help much?

Hanzo and madmedic like this.
  5. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'm by no means an expert at honing, but I do enjoy honing my own. I think your choice would be good start. Many honemeisters started with a simple Norton 4k/8K combo. It's all you really need.

Thirdman47 and madmedic like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There is a HUGE thread I started over at SRP for the entire month of January called JaNorton where about 40 guys of all different skill levels from first time honers to Lynn all used only the Norton 4/8 during the month on two razors.. People like Lynn and I of course had to keep the two personal razors separate from the Professional honing we do.. The outcome for most was rather revealing as they found that really the Norton 4/8 or the Naniwa 3/8 is really all you need to get perfectly good shaves "If you take the time to learn" we allowed no pastes either just Linen and Leather... You should read it and watch many of the vids in there, rather a huge font of knowledge in that thread..

Either Combo will do you fine
    look at the Naniwa 3/8
    The Norton 4/8
    or look at the Henckels combos (they are Naniwas also)

The only reason to buy more depends on the SR's you decide to chase LOL a 1k will help set bevels on some of the E-beaters

ohpaos, Asd, Thirdman47 and 2 others like this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I agree. Look for a finisher in the future but a 4k-8k can take you a long way.

8. madmedic

The paste acts as an abrasive and effectively turns a strop into a hone. Currently I have my razors made shave ready by a pro. I bought 3 paddle strops....inexpensive ones from Starshaving. I have one leather, one felt and 1 balsa wood. The felt and balsa strops have Chromium oxide and diamond pastes with high and higher grits. Once the razor starts to drag....I use them to (allegedly) return the razor to a shave razor state. I decided to go this way initially as I find paddle strops easier to use and as I can strop..... there is a reduced chance that I will damage the edge compared to actual honing.

9. madmedic

Thanks for the advice.....I will check that out and probably go ahead and order the Naniwa 3/8

10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I also use the paddle strops from star shaving, mine is the black latigo and the CrOx balsa. I bought a barber's hone to use at regular intervals as well, and I use it at the last of the month. 8 laps on it lathered up then 20 on the balsa and 100 on the strop and I'm good for the month. I do 20 laps on the balsa and 100 on leather every Saturday and that gets my razor ready for the week.

You could get a barber's hone and never have to send your razors out again, but the OP will need to get that combo set if he plans on buying more blades at antiques and the bay.

madmedic likes this.
  11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Any of you guys ever try lapping film to sharpen a razor? I did my first blade with lapping film today. The method is easy and straight forward. It's sharp beyond the level I normally get off my stones and it hasn't seen the strop yet. I'll do my first shave with it tomorrow or Sunday and see how it feels.

12. madmedic

Please explain a little more. I am not familiar with this method

13. madmedic

I am working my way through the SRP thread which gssixgun recommended.Obviously I have a lot to learn. I have also found a UK company which seems to have a great deal on Naniwa super stones. I have ordered double thickness stones (individual) as they come on plastic bases and do not require the purchase of a holder. Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.....and please keep the advice 'incoming'

14. newb

newb Resident Newb

If you really want to learn to hone well. Watch Glenn's videos. They have helped me immensely.

15. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I have King stones and Naniwa stones, I would choose a King equivilent combination over the Naniwa, but it's down to your own personal choice, I will give you a link to a company if you are interested in getting Naniwa stones cheaper than anywhere in the UK, with super cutsomer service,

http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/ct/naniwa-super-stones-japanse-sharpening-stones.htm

Regards Jamie.

16. madmedic

Thanks Jamie. My post may have been confusing. Edenwebshops is the site I used. They have a UK domain....but are based in The Netherlands. They were MUCH cheaper than anywhere else and free delivery as well.

17. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

Ok, Let me ask this. If I can sharpen a pocket knife good enough to shave the hair off my arm, Am I correct in thinking I should do ok at honing a straight razor?

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Never know until you try.

19. madmedic

First of all.....I am only getting started with honing....so anyone else feel free to correct me! Sharpening a pocket knife is completely different. Grits are normally lower and the blade is sharpened with a different angle. A knife blade edge is not polished. The edge ....to all intensive purposes is serrated. It cuts through the hairs rather than slices through them. I would hate to try to shave with a pocket knife. Put a different way..... a discarded DE blade would still shave the hairs off your arm. It would probably be much sharper than a sharp pocket knife.......but it is not suitable for shaving. Honing a straight is a step up....and it will certainly be a challenge for me.

20. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Glen will probably find this thread eventually and give you his take but I talked with him on the phone about honing and he told me he hasn't had any luck sharpening knives but as we all know he is one of the wizards of razor sharpening.