My Ogallala impressions. Some scents burn :(

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by SensitivusFacius, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SensitivusFacius

SensitivusFacius New Member

I prefer a lotion type AS over a splash but wanted to try the Ogallala since I see a lot positive things said about it, so I got the sample pack to try. The sandalwood is definitely my favorite, the wifes to. Lime and peppercorn is also nice. The other 3 kind of burn when applied. It wasnt what I would call a normal sting when applying AS but more of a mild chemical burn, at least that is the best way I can describe it. I did use two of them without a shave as I was more curious of the smell so shaving didnt have anything to do with it. The burn lasted a good minute or so, I was about to wash it off then it started getting better. Anyone else have a similar result?

What I did like was I could smell the scent all day long but it wasnt overpowering. My wife couldnt smell it unless she got close which is perfect for me. Sandalwood is one I would order again, feels good when splashed on and has a very pleasant scent.

DLreno likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ogallala isn't that bad. I did learn from it that bay rum is not a favorite scent of mine. I never had any burning issues.

3. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I really like Limes & Peppercorns variety.

4. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

they will burn if you dont really shake up bottle , I bought sample pack with me unshaken they all burn

5. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

On my list of things to try, I've heard the same thing about the need to ensure that you shake the bottle.

6. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

i have had it in my cart so many times lol but it ends up always getting taken out by the time i go to checkout lol

7. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

I have a bottle and I can tell you that it does burn bad for me too sometimes....WITH the bottle being shaken....so one day after I shook it up...I took out half and made 2 50/50 mixes of a Ogallala/Witch Hazel......it works awesome!! And does not burn half as bad...actually burns a bit like if not less than a normal aftershave...just a bit of pinch at the very first of the application.No more ongoing sting sessions . I love the scent its one of my favorites but the "chemical burn" has kept me away from using it after a shave more times than I have used it in all. You shouldnt be afraid to use an AS lol so thats why I made my mix...I didnt want my money just sittin there and wasting away....

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

Yes it does have a bit of a tingle! But I found the Indian old spice really does give you a kick, I suspect a high alcohol content is to blame.

I've only tried the like and peppercorn which I really like, most of the time it doesn't burn that much and soon wears off.

9. SensitivusFacius

SensitivusFacius New Member

Yup, I do shake um real good. I just thought it was strange the sandalwood and lime n peppercorn didnt burn at all, just a slight sting after shaving which is what I would expect.

@Shayne - I do that all the time when ordering stuff, I probably think about it too much lol

Great idea with the WH. I was just going to mix the three together I had trouble with to see what the smell would be like. Ill try adding WH first instead.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yeah... I learned a long time ago that I can't use any of their soaps other than unscented. It doesn't just burn my face, but my skin gets red and blotchy for a day or so later. It is a shame as I love the scent. I still try to sneak some AS every now and then without a major reaction.

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Agree on the odd burn. It is not just the typical alcohol type tingle. Worse if unshaken, but still noticeable when shaken. I love bay rums and have many. This one was just not for me, in spite of the good scent.

12. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

So I'm NOT the only one that does this occassionally!