Fatboy Questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Feb 9, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I just bought a slightly damaged Fatboy on eBay for $25. Here's the description:

UP FOR AUCTION IS 1-9 ADJUSTABLE FAT BOY AND BLADES THIS RAZOR IS A CLEAN ONE PLATING IS GOOD 1-9 CLICKS GOOD BUT WHEN ADJUSTING IT YOU HAVE TO SHOVE UP ON THE END TO OPEN FLAPS IM NO EXPERT ON RAZORS IT IS A E-2 MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT ALL THE PICTURES SOLD AS SHOWN

1) Do you think if I clean it up with scrubbing bubbles and then add oil, a miracle will happen and I won't have to "shove the end to open flaps" or is there a thread or connection that could be screwed up somehow. And is there someone that can fix these things or is it a simple fix, I can do?

2) I have trouble shaving with my Merkur 38C barberpole HD because of the weight. Will the Fatboy have the same feel? ( I do have a Gillette super adjustable black handle that feels fine.)

2. Rob72

Rob72 Member

"Push up to open", is a sign of a worn retaining ring- that little smooth band around the barrel just above the TTO knob. This is where the modified pipe-cutter fix comes in. Basically, you re-crimp the band slightly. IIRC, someone on B&B posted his experience doing this recently- can't remember if he's here as well, but searching, "pipe cutter fix", should turn it up.

I don't have a Merkur(well, a Pomco slant), but I'm thinking you will be alright. It obviousuly is subjective, but, while it is heavier than other TTOs, I don't find the FB at all unweildy.

3. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

I agree with Rob72 about the weight. Of course I've only been wet shaving a few month now and I only have vintage razors 3 of them being TTOs (a '61 fatboy, a'66 flaretip and a '40's super speed) and experience with newer model. I started with FB because it was adjustable, but that didn't seem to cause me any trouble when I started using the others. Of course as has been stated quite often in these forums YMMV!
    Good Luck.

4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Agree, I also read the fix just recently1/2months ago. It seemed like a moderately easy thing to do. Let us know how you make out.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have used the handle off a medium binder clip to fix this problem and it works just fine, without having to modify a tubing cutter. I will link to the post here, but none of the pictures made the transition with the new board software. I have owned several Fat Boys over the last couple of years and have not paid more than $20.00 for a shave grade version. If you really want a Fat Boy, PM me your address and I will send you one, free of charge.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/fix-your-48-50-ss-tto-knob-pic-heavy.22525/#post-394304

theblindog, CyanideMetal and Rob72 like this.
  6. okiwen

okiwen Member

super cool of you guy.

I followed the link and the pictures are gone. Is that me or the link?

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  8. lindyhopper66

You're right. The photos do not appear.

9. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I have a Fatboy that I got from a seller said was broken. I took it apart and cleaned it up, now it is wonderful. The retaining ring inside the Fatboy was stuck from years of gunk sitting in there.

I am not sure the binder clip/pipe tool method will work on a Fatboy. The butterfly system is different from a super speed.

Here is a link to a wonderful tutorial on how to disassemble a Fatboy. When I did mine, I never went to the stage where they are using a wooden block to take the shaft out. The only reason I would do that is if I were replating the razor.

Fatboy disassembly

If you think it is too involved, or you are not comfortable doing it, I would be more than happy to take a look at it and see if I can fix it. I kinda have a knack for fixing things.:cool:

10. lindyhopper66

Thanks. I'll let you know the state of things once I receive it.

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Repaired

CyanideMetal and Queen of Blades like this.
  12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I knew you'd do it! :happy096:

And I've now added it to the Master Sticky.

Dridecker likes this.
  13. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I appreciate the primer on the "Fatboy Disassemble." I noticed that you mentioned you take them all the way down like this when you go to replate them. Does Reliable do this before plating with Rhodium? Seems like I should make sure it is taken all the way down and cleaned before its plated. Those pictures of the "sterilized" razor are disgusting. It may just cause me to send my newly purchased Fatboy to plating tomorrow! Thats why I want to check on the disassemble and clean at Reliable.

14. stingraysrock

The binder clip method works for the FB; the one that I am giving away was fixed using the same method.

15. stingraysrock

YAY!
    YAY YAY!

Queen of Blades likes this.
  16. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

My bad, your right. I just took mine apart to look at it again. The retaining ring I was thinking about is for the "quarter turn"

17. Rob72

Rob72 Member

They would have to. Immersing a razor loaded with trace minerals into a plating bath would not give a passable finish, as I believe some other platers have discovered.

I'll be honest, I dunked mine in a double boiler (suspends the razor above the bottom of the pot) with laundry detergent, and boiled them for about 20 minutes. Had lots of scum on top, when I was done. I did disassemble my threaded collet FB, and it was minty fresh inside. YMMV, etc., etc..

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

After seeing the pictures of the FB disassembled, it is obvious that these things get muckier than we perhaps realize. I boiled my FB (though not with detergent added) and noticed no residue in the water afterwards. Probably did not accomplish much deep cleaning. Then I soaked it in baby oil overnight in a mason jar. The next day there was significant residue at the bottom of the jar. Boiling with detergent, oil soaking, and possibly disassembling and repeating this process may be necessary to truly get all the gunk cleaned out.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I really wish I hadn't looked at that fatboy disassembly page. I am now seeing my vintage razors in a whole new light. :sick007: ;)

CyanideMetal likes this.
  20. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Forgot to add my overnight soak in marvel Mystery Oil before the boil...:D I left the doors open to encourage flow through the barrel, when cooking.

DLreno likes this.