Brush smell............ from soaps

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PhilNH5, Feb 12, 2012.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

I only recently started using scented soaps. Before I used unscented or mild sandalwood.
    I also like to change my soaps daily. At the end of my shaave I rinse my brush really well in warm water. I find there is enough scent the next morning to interfere with the smell of the next soap I am using.
    I then started shampooing my brush with liquid hand soap. But I still have yesterday's scent on my brush. I use a variety of soaps. All of the C&E scents,EJ buckrhorn, T&H and the VDH luxury scented soap.all of them do this. It doesn't ruin my shave but I am wondering how others deal with this.

PHIL

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'm a brush sniffer. I'll pick up a brush, sniff it, & know which product I used last with it. Once I soak the brush for the next use though I don't notice that scent anymore & just start enjoying the next scent as I load my brush.

AnB_Daddy likes this.
  3. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I am so glad I am not the only one who does this.

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah me to not always good to do when you have a new boar, as they never smell good lol.

5. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I have to admit it as well, I am brush sniffer as well. I like it. I have found my daughter sniffing my brushes that sit on the counter.
    I don't have a problem with any left over smell, I actually kind of enjoy it.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I am a brush sniffer too, love the smell of the soap lingering in the brush.

As Alpha44 the smell of new boar is not good. A new boar is pretty funky smelling. :rolleyes:

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I too sniff my brushes and I, like Mechguy< kind of enjoy it.

I hope you can get over it Phil. It isn't a show stopper but clearly something that detracts from the shave isn't adding to it.

8. CSG

CSG Member

I like the pleasing amalgam of scents my brushes acquire. Soaps and creams are the pleasure of shaving with a brush and I like a variety of scents.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

How do I deal with it? I just use the brush.

ChemErik likes this.
  10. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I want all you sniffers to repeate after me 10 times as fast as you can, I am a smart fellow. :)

swarden43 likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am sorry I didn't catch that. I was busy sniffing my brushes. What was that you requested?

Johnny likes this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I don't smell my brushes directly most of the time. I just care about the scent coming off my face, not if they mix on the brush itself...

CyanideMetal likes this.
  13. Red-Leg

Red-Leg Member

Hello, my name is Darren and I'm a brush sniffer.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I tend to like the mixed scents on my brushes. But most of the scents I have go well together.

15. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Its just an excuse to buy a brush for every product you lather!

The only scent I ever had linger over into the next days lather was Polynesian Red....

alpla444 likes this.
  16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I have a rotation for my brushes none are very expensive so I rotate through 5 to 7 a week. Horse, badger, boar. This give them a chance to dry out completely and I haven't had a left over fragrance problem.

17. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I do like smelling my brushes, but I'm not sure if I can detect a certain soaps smell or if it just smells like soap in general, you know, it just has that clean scent. Well, whatever it is, I like it!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  18. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I can definitely pick up a dry brush, sniff it, and know immediately what soap/cream it lathered up most recently.

19. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Do you have hard or soft water?

I think when my water was harder, the smells from previous lathers were less prevalent. Here at home with some soft water, it's scent galore.

I find that I like the smell of the mixes. I also find that the items from the soaps that aren't used for scents... lanolin, tallow (if that is what i'm smelling) are stronger. But I like this and don't mind them mixed with any other smells.

You say you're smelling the previous soaps oils (sandalwood, or others)? Maybe you're not rinsing thoroughly or extracting the lather enough.

On the brush sniffing.. Alas I am one too. I frankly enjoy the smell of the new brush. It was about my 10th brush that I stopped being so grossed out and began to enjoy it. Maybe it was the memories of previous brushes racing back... or i'm just weird. Probably weird.

Also like an earlier posted, I brush sniff and immediately am able to identify the previous soap or cream haha.

20. CSG

CSG Member

I use a number of soaps and creams on a number of brushes. They all have an amalgam of lovely scents as I use them all with all my products. And I'll admit to giving them a sniff now and again.