ABC Pocket Edition Unknown Model or Year

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Feb 16, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I just received a pocket edition that is similar in case design and material to those from 1909 to 1911. The metal case has flowers and vines around the edges on the front lid with blank rectangle in middle (large rectangle, ~3/8 inch band of flowers. The metal is black with crud that I can't get off with Scrubbing Bubbles, yet. I will try some Maas polish. I think the bubbles may have been too much for the plating on the head (once ?gold). The handle is goldish with vines and flowers and a ball at the end with flower blossoms. The inside cloth is deep purple. The back has the typical pocket edition information. At some point, I will try to add a photo. I can't find it in Mr-razors listings. Close but no cigar. Any ideas or other places with pictures?

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

There should be a serial number on the OC piece that gives a letter and a number. From that serial number you can determine the exact date. The letter is often difficult to read . You should, may be, be a B or C???

They are great shavers!

3. lindyhopper66

I just spent hours of bubbles and Maas polish until my shaving thumb hurts. Then I remembered something I read in a book about saving money. I used white vinegar to thoroughly get rid of the tarnish, even around the fillagree. The case and OC have a silver look. The handle a goldish look.

I am seeing B931753 on the OC.

So per razor emporium, this is a 1911, model 102. When I first looked at mr-razor a week ago before I bought the set, I thought it looked closest to the 1911, but the flowers and vines where different and the rectangle on the top takes up more space on the case top.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

When you say the case is black, is it tarnish or is it black like this one: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1910 Empire Pocket Edition 504 A.JPG
    If it's black like the one in that photo, it's supposed to be. It's one of the rare gun metal cases.

Also, never use polish on a gold razor unless you're a professional. The gold plating on razors is just way too thin and it doesn't take much to remove it down to the underlying brass.

5. lindyhopper66

The flower pattern is different on my case and handle and the rectangle on the front takes up more space. It wasn't as jet black as the photo, but pretty black. I may have screwed up big time, trying to get that off.

Per the serial number, it should be 1911. But it sure has ornate patterns on the case and handle and the handle has that exact shape.

The razor from 1911 could be in the incorrect box.

I can't believe this article starts with a picture of my case and razor. It was black like this. Now, due to my ignorance, it's not. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...n-Company-Pocket-Edition-Sets-Part-One-Razors

It still doesn't give the year or name. My handle is gold and black with flower and case just like the first in this article.

6. IAmTheJody

If it was black like that, then it's just silver tarnish. Polish lightly with Flitz or Maas polish if you just have to. On those old ornate ABC sets like that, most people leave the tarnish and patina on the cases, at least in the recesses of the design. It adds to the look and appeal. Same with the razor handle.

If the serial number is B931753 as you said above, that makes it 1911. See this dating guide: http://www.renaldo.us/grbd.html

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. lindyhopper66

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Souns nice cant wait to see some pictures:), Have you tried it yet?

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I have a flower pattern ABC razor as well. Mine is from 1909 (S/Ns: A983637, L44375). It is a fantastic razor and is in my top 3 of favorites. I'm not sure what is different about the ABC heads, but I find them very different from a traditional old type. For a great confortable shave, the ABC totally blows the other old types out of the water. Here's a couple pics of mine. I'm just posting links, since they are hosted at another shaving site.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=23662
    http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=23664
    At some point, something was wrapped around the case, and it stripped the finish of down to the brass.
    http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=23663
    Inside is pretty torn up. :(
    http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=23665

10. IAmTheJody

You'll just need to post pictures of it because they didn't make a "black and gold" handle. Too much guessing going on here.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Here is mine:

ABC flower 1.jpg ABC flower 2.jpg ABC flower 3.jpg ABC flower 4.jpg

It has a little bend in the handle as you can see. I've been afraid to mess it up so I haven't tried the "wrap it in a towel and whack it with a hammer" straightening method, but I very well may do it here soon.

alpla444 likes this.
  12. lindyhopper66

Thevez2, your pocket edition looks just like mine. I may try it out this morning.

Except, my handle is goldish. I couldn't see gold on the head or case when I started cleaning it. It looked silver and black.

I think the black is the tarnish on the handle. I'll get out my camera tonight and send some photos.

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Lot of people just look at the letter B. I believe was used in 09/10/11 3 yrs. Easier just to say '09 . It's the older date!
    Confusing as the Superspeed yrs used one letter per year.

14. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

The ABC razor sets had Gold, Silver and Gunmetal (black) cases. The razor heads and handles were always matched and either Silver or Gold, never black. Gillette also sold sets that were mixed using a different pattern handle and/or mixed plating to the case.
    When you get an ABC set NEVER use polish on it. Gold doesn't tarnish and the silver plating is thin. If you must have a shiny silver razor use the baking soda/hot water over the aluminum foil lined dish.

I currently have 14 ABC sets, the rarest can be seen on Mr Razors site, the gold razor with the Gillette diamond logo on the head and in a gunmetal basket weave case.

Len

15. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I have the same set... My dad gave it to me years ago. I don't think I've ever shaved with it..

16. IAmTheJody

It worked for his. :)

Haven't seen you in a long time Len. Nice to see you back! :eatdrink047:

17. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Hi Jody,

I check the forum every day. As you know I'm strictly a vintage Gillette guy, don't pay much attention to the other stuff including blades. I really like the ABC sets and generally anything between 1903 and WW II. This is a good thread. How are you doing these days?

Len

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Curious as for the pics, Lindyhopper! I like the look of such an ABC set!

And Len, 14 sets? Wow. Ever used them? Good shavers?

19. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I'll bring one out from time to time. I think they give the best and smoothest shaves of all the Old Types. One of these days I'll post all the photos I took for another forum a couple years ago. Oh heck why not. Here's some of the photos. Click on the thumbnail and when that opens click on the little double page below the photo for a larger view. My favorites are the two Empire sets and the Gunmetal_Basket_Diamond.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/ABC_Sets/

Len

battle.munky and macaronus like this.
  20. lindyhopper66

Okay, I've taken some photos, not as large as I would have liked. The lighting for some reason made the case look light golden, when it actually looks silver, possibly due to me over Scrubbing Bubbling and polishing the tarnish and plating off. You can see a tinge of gold on the edge of the comb. The handle is definitely golden.

I am having a problem. I hit the "upload a file" and it fills the upload bar and then it says "File too large." I decompress it and it says the same