Non-ceramic lather bowl?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sara-s, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have read things here, about using a lather bowl, and I think it is something I would like to try. But all the ones I see are ceramic. Like many women, I shave in the shower, where ceramic just does not seem like a good idea. Does anyone make these in other materials and where might I find one? Thanks.

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

My wife does the same thing and uses a plain plastic cereal bowl that has a little texture in it from the manufacturing process. She seems quite content with it, especially since it can be kicked across the shower by accident and never cause injuries.

3. Rob72

Rob72 Member

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I suppose you could use metal too.. there's usually a bit of a ridge along the edge of those stainless steel bowls that can help with grip. I also saw doggy metal bowls in a pet shop that were weighted and had rubber on the bottom. It looked interesting for lather...

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I've got one of these with the rubber bottom and it's great, but the stainless steel inside is a bit too slippery. I've tried scratching it up to get some texture, but no luck yet.

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Try some of the adhesive stickers you can put in a bathtub for traction in the shower :)

macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.
  7. CyanideMetal

Great idea! Thanks.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Lather ducky, you're the one
    You make shave time so much fun
    Lather ducky, I'm awfully fond of you ...
    Do do be do.

macaronus, CyanideMetal, DLP and 3 others like this.
  9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

When I used a bowl I used one I bought at Target for like $3.00 or so. It was black plastic and worked fine.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I was at Pasteur Pharmacy yesterday. They had a nice, large metal bowl, which I bought. I am going to rough it up a bit, with a wire brush. I will let you know how it works.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I took out the Dremel and added some texture. Then, I lathered up my brush, just to test it. It does enhance the lather nicely.

13. CyanideMetal

Hey, Sara.

That's a great idea and I almost did the same thing, but I was afraid that it would create rough edges and filings and the hair on my brushes would snag on it. I should ga ahead and try it. I tried sandpaper, but it didn't work well. The next time I get the urge to bowl lather, I might use Aaron's cereal bowl trick.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The wire brush on the Dremel required a bit of pressure (applied slowly) to get any texture. It looks like a satin finish, instead of a shiny finish, where I used it. Should I post a pic?

15. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That's what I would be afraid of. I use a cereal bowl from Ikea much like Aaron and a few other people and it works great

CyanideMetal likes this.
  16. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

17. If you're looking for a truly unbreakable, light, and VERY inexpensive bowl, might I suggest that you purchase a plastic 'Salsa Bowl' from Wal Mart. They are the bowls that Mexican restaurants use for salsa dipping, at your table. They fit in my hand nicely (although they have 4, small square feet on the bottom), and are textured (outside only) for a pretty good grip. I use mine for traveling, when I do decide to take a bowl. Plus, they come in a number of bright, festive colors, if you like bright, festive colors.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

"Plus, they come in a number of bright, festive colors, if you like bright, festive colors."

I dont know why but this made me lmao

19. cpowill

cpowill New Member

I used a .39 plastic cereal bowl. Took my trusty folding knife and made criss cross cuts. Lathered up nicely. Now the DB Scuttle is here no more plastic bowl. Might try a dollar store for a plastic bowl.

20. senex

senex Member

I just got a Japanese laquer bowl(synthetic) with a deep wood grain and lathe mark on the inside and outside.
    The grain etc... helps lather and it is a good size with deep straight walls.
    Its the best plastic bowl I have found as well as cheap.

[​IMG]

CyanideMetal likes this.