Stopping the flow of red ...

Discussion in 'Articles' started by GDCarrington, Feb 17, 2012.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great article.

Spud, Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Good information here. I didn't know that many products were available. One thing though is that most of your pics didn't come through.

Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Mr Carrington I find your write up to be quite comprehensive. I never realized there were that many things to curtail unforeseen plasma release. Back in the day we'd just rely on segments of the good old "ceptic" pencil...

5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Nice article sir. But you forgot the one thing that I always used, good old toilet paper. :)

Boojum1, BamaT, vinthechin12 and 2 others like this.
  6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Very nice article, Gary. It was quite poignant today as I had a "chunk" taken out of my chin this morning and used my styptic pencil for the first time in a long time. And it worked!

7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Nice and comprehensive article! Thanks! :signs107:

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Glad to see someone addressing such an important issue....I'm sure many will find this more than useful....The loss of blood is one of the reasons so many are afraid of TWS in the first place....I sure many denisons haven't thought about this kind of thing in a long time, but I'm equally sure there are many who need this information....and your presentation was succinct and thorough....
    Thanks
    PS: And I never knew where that name came from...always wondered though....;)...Witch Hazel...cool
    My Pop used to add some Alum powder to a bottle of WH...and each day he'd shake it up and splash after shaving....Said it would keep your skin tight...Well when he was 82, he still didn't have any loose skin under the chin....Maybe I should have listened to him....

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Active Member

Well researched and very well written. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Boojum1, macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Ahh the dirty side of shaving. I don't think anyone has ever put together such a comprehensive article about the subject, it's always an after thought or discussed within the context of another thread.

11. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Very helpful. Thank you. I have used Walgreen's WH a few times and the scent is not at all pleasing to me. TSD's SubZero scented WH is in my future.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Great article! Added to the Preshave/Aftershave Master Sticky. :happy096:

Boojum1, swarden43 and macaronus like this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Gary, your articles are as always, fantastic. I cannot stand the pain and discomfort, or the horrible cold sweat and nausea I experience if I cut or even just slightly nick myself. I cannot use alum. Strange, huh?

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Infotech, your statement was what also was concerning me when I wrote this article.
    Everyone discusses this topic in different threads and as side bars to other topics, but I never saw a complete thread providing information on the products or on some simple steps to stop small cuts. So I decided to make one.

JoAnna, Thanks, it is appreciated! I had hoped that this would serve in that capacity.

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

Great article, you obviously put a lot of work into it.

One thing that you can do in an emergency is use anti perspirant since as you mentioned it contains aluminium. Makes you smell nice too:D

Boojum1 and macaronus like this.
  16. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Very useful article. People need to know how to handle the occasional nick, and not get panicky over it.

Boojum1 likes this.
  17. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Panic no, Mad at my self for getting careless, usually. :angry021:

Boojum1 likes this.
  18. Very nicely written! This is one thing above others that has prevented me from trying wetshaving before. Armed with a couple of these, I have had my confidence boosted!

19. senex

senex Member

For a cheap Alum stick look at the crystal under arm dedorants.
    They are the only alum source I have available localy and are cheaper than ordering it in.

20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Yep, I took the alum out of the container after trying to use it as a deodorant and started using it as a post shave alum. My mug smells like my pits, but I'm happy.

Boojum1 and BamaT like this.