1950s Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by IAmTheJody, Mar 8, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

As I mentioned in last week's 'The Haul' thread, I purchased 4 tubes of vintage Palmolive Lather Shaving Cream. These are from the 1950s based on the name Colgate-Palmolive Company on them instead of Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Company and based on the tube style. They dropped 'Peet' from the company name in 1953.

It arrived today and I couldn't help but to open one of the tubes and do a test lather... to see if the cream was still good. I guess I didn't pay attention to the auction details as I was expecting bigger tubes but after going back and checking the auction today, it was definitely my fault. These are 0.75 ounce tubes. Small. Travel size I guess.

I'm very happy to report that the cream is still good and makes a great, cushiony and slick lather with a very nice scent. Not like today's Palmolive shave cream we know, which also has a nice scent. No, this is almost more like a faint spicy scent. Not knock-you-down spicy like Old Spice - which I hate - but very pleasant.

I'll do another lather later on and take photos. But I did want to go on and get some feedback up while it was still sort of fresh on some people's minds.

[​IMG]

vanm66, alpla444, Conrad1959 and 2 others like this.
  2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I'm not surprised that the stuff still works. I have some Williams Lather in a tube from the same era that still smells great and lathers like nobody's business.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Great to hear it still works!

As to the scent, is it similar to the recently deceased US Palmolive Lather?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. paydepst

paydepst Member

I am moderately surprised the stuff was good. Sometimes these old tubes are filled with so much faintly aromatic shrivelled gunk. Glad it maintained its integrity all these years. How about some pictures of that lather?

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very nice, I love the vintage packaging:cool:

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I do need to get those lather pictures done. Just been lazy about hauling the camera and tripod into the bathroom. I'll do it soon though.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Although the US Palmolive cream which was discontinued not that long ago had very good, rich lather which was easy to create and work with, it had a scent which I really didn't like, and I found it very poor in the skincare department, as opposed to the European Classic Palmolive cream. I still have about 1/4 of a tube of the US cream which as we all know looks like this. physlabs_1929_112767038.gif