Which Merkur Adjustable?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dreadpirate, Mar 12, 2012.

1. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

RAD is kicking in. Should I get a Futur or a Progress? I am not real keen on the Vision right now. Someone would really have to convince me.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's all personal preference, but I preferred the Futur to the Progress.

It has a greater range of settings than the progress.

That said, I don't own either any more.

3. dreadpirate

Well - I guess I am looking for something that is a bit more aggressive than my Fatboy or Slim. It's interesting that you no longer have them anymore.

4. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I own a Progress...

View attachment 25780

I am incredibly happy with it. Great adjustments and easy to use - but keep a light touch!

Bear in mind though, this is my first DE. The only other safety razor I have used is a Gillette Knack that I just won in the "Birdy PIF #1" contest (thanks again fishcrow!). The Knack is non-adjustable and is very gentle (which I don't mind, being a newbie and all).

I did a lot of research before I bought the Progress, and finally it was the price that did it for me. However, if you prefer a heftier, longer handle than go for the Futur.

Hope that helps

5. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

A Fatboy on 9 is inbetween a 1 and a 2 on the Futur. It goes up to 6. That tells you how aggressive it is. I could not even use it on a setting of 2. If you want something very aggressive get the Futur. If not get the progress.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I own a Futur - love it.
    Never owned or tried the Progress.

7. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

My vote for the Progress is partial, due to the fact that I have never used the Future. As far as the range on the Future being greater, just because the progress goes to 5, doesn't mean that you can't twist it around to get more exposure. I turn mine to where it would be a 6 or 7. And, as stated above, a very light touch and focus is required. Out of all the razors that I own, including straights, the Progress has bitten me more often than any of the others because I had a momentary lapse of focus. The progress gives me the absolute closest and longest lasting shave, comfortably.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  8. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

I also own a Futur but if you're not careful it will bite.If you get one never,ever change settings with wet hands,you can do serious damage to yourself.But other than that if you like a heavy razor and one thats on the aggressive side the Futur is a great razor.

9. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I agree with many above, if you want a heavy and aggressive razor, go for the Futur. I've owned one for 3 years or so now and it was a RAD killer for me. It is my favorite DE razor. It's the only DE I have that can give me a shave comparable to a straight razor shave.

10. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I currently have both and my vote goes to the futur.

11. newb

newb Resident Newb

I do not own a Progress. But I own a Futur and a Vision. I would recommend a Futur based on the price. A Futur goes from Wild to mild, with a really wide range of blade gaps. I've never found a blade that doesn't work with it. It's big but very nimble. I do though find the Vision a superior shaver, but I can't recommend it due to the cost.

12. saxog

saxog New Member

I use both and my conclusions are that the Futur is not only better, it is one of the best razors in terms of shave effectiveness, vey mild but very aggressive at the same time, he takes out the best of any blade; the Progress is rougher in terms of edge feeling and more blade dependent (in fact when I use an unknown blade I use the Progress to better understand how it works for my face cause he gives a much more 'direct' contact to the edge while the Futur seem to hide blades weaknesses), but the Progress delivers great results too. On the other hand the mechanic to fix the blade (2 spring bars) of the Futur is a weak point in terms of longevity with respect to the Progress' traditional one, also the Futur may feel a bit of chunky if used in rotation with other razors until you got used to him again. You will not get short on adjustable agressivity with non of both and in my view both are fantastic razors.

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Have the Futur , really like it. Only thing i'd chg would be to buy the Satin finished one.

14. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Whoa! A Fat Boy or a Slim dialed up to maximum aggression of #9 is not aggressive enough for you? That seems unusual.

I wonder what blade you use? Please don't tell me a Feather! :)

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Used both but prefer the Progress.

The only razor I use with rare exception is the R-41 though. Nothing shaves me better.

16. Hiya,

Never tried any Merkur adjustable, but the only one that interests me at all is the Progress. Those things get very good reviews for the most part, which doesn't mean it's unanimous by any means. Yeah, a bunch of people don't care for those for various reasons as well. I've done a lot of reading about the Future, Progress, and Vision over the years.

Seems to me the weight and balance of the Progress would fit me the best.....nothing too dramatic of a design. Yeah, I'd like to test drive one of those sometime.

Martin

17. dreadpirate

I usually do use a Feather. Settings 1 - 4 on the Fatboy and Slim are useless to me. 5 is as low as I go.

18. dreadpirate

I have an R41 and it is indeed a close shaver. There are a couple of spots I cannot do ATG with the R41. An adjustable R41 would be cool.

battle.munky likes this.
  19. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

I've had all three. I found the Progress to have unreliable settings and questionable fit and finish. The Futur and Vision are a cut above with regard to fit and finish, and both have a much wider range of adjustments that are stable. Both are great razors, but the price of the Vision is prohibitive - I bought mine from a member at a good price, and it is my daily go-to razor.

20. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

I don't have a Futur, though I would love to have one, I do have a Fatboy, and adjustable Schick and a long handle Progress. I really like the Progress. It is probably equal in like to the Fatboy. Although I like the clean up of the Fatboy much better. The Progress can go from tame to tiger in just a turn of the knob. I do have a R41 as well and that is beyond tiger. I am on the fence on the possiblity of trading or selling it because it is not a go to razor for me. In short, I would think that either the Futur or Progress would be your friend.