Thinking about a new brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Padron, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Padron

Padron Active Member

I think I've got the cream brushes taken care of for now, but may need a good soap brush or dual purpose....

Lately, I have been reaching for the Rooney the most...but have been thinking about a Polo 8 or Duke 2, or perhaps another Rooney...

What do you think?

Here's my current lineup,

1. SR 3228 Silvertip
    2. Shavemac #22579 25mm Silvertip, Horn Handle
    3. Rooney Size 1 Style 1 Super, Horn Handle
    4. Simpson Case Best
    5. C&E BBB
    6. Shavemac #177 23mm Silvertip
    7. EJ Limted Edt. 2006 Finest, Horn Handle

Numbered from Left...1,2,3.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Certainly can't go wrong with a Duke 2. I think it is a great soap brush. Mine seems to be shedding a bit but nothing to worry about (yet). But I would take a look at some of the Edwin Jagger brushes too or maybe a Kent BK4. (or the BLK4). My EJ medium silvertip is a great brush for soaps and creams.

I have been looking at a couple of brushes myself. I seem to be going to the smaller end of the spectrum. But two that I have my eye on are:

Savile Row 3318
    Simpson 56

Btw Neale, nice line-up you got going there.

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Bob,

The 3318 is a sweet looking little brush, I wonder if it's firm enough to be a good soap brush too.

With so many choices it's a hard one to make, kinda worried too about getting a shedder if I go with a Simpson...even my little Simpson Case has dropped a few more hairs than I would have expected with as little use as it has seen, especially compared to the Shavemacs I have, which have been perfect so far.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

U need a BK4! or, a BLK4!

Nice lineup, btw ::

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Joe, I thought about a Bk4, but remembered reading in another post that they are less dense than a C&E BBB... I think I am looking for a firmer brush than that as my EJ is probably simliar to a BK4?

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

From what Joe and Michael (Fergie, Duke of Kent) say, I think the BK 4 will my next brush. I use a lot of soaps!

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The BK4, while most certainly less dense than the 'C&E BBB', is the penta-ultimate soap brush......and doubles as a cream brush too ;)

Now if you insist on a densely packed brush, that's another story. Duke 3 in Best might be a good option. Its not very big, so I can imagine the Duke 2 will be minuscule.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow, thanks Blair...

For some reason, I have been thinking the Bk4 would be too soft for my liking....if it's less dense than a C&E BBB..that would kinda rule it out for me.

Can someone compare the feel and stiffness of the Bk4 vs the EJ 2006 brush that I already have...I have been thinking about parting with the EJ as it is pretty floppy and doesn't see much use :confused:

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Excellent, Thanks Joe..

This is going to be a harder choice than I thought...I am still thinking I might want something more scrubby....How is the Simpson Chubby?

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Kent BK4 is definitely NOT a dense brush......but there is something about it (perhaps the resiliency/flex of the badger hair they use) that makes it very ideal for soap. Although not firm/dense/scrubby, it has an amazing ability to pull soap off the puck and build incredible lathers. I have no other brush like it.

As far as comparisons go, the EJ 2006 would be better analyzed side-by-side with Kent BK8 (they are both Huge, soft, and ?floppy?). Body brushes.

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Chubby 1 was to me, more scrubby that the pure badger brushes I have had. The tips are softer than pure (obviously) but the sheer density makes it very, very scrubby. Too scrubby for my tastes.

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

You my friend are a wealth of knowledge :cool: I may have to take another look at the Bk4 when the black one comes out.

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Ok, Chubby vs Duke....you thoughts?

Thanks Joe :D

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Duke 3 in Best :happy088

You'll get the scrub-action I believe you are looking for, and will be able to use with creams and get great results too.

I suppose you could use a chubby with a cream, but :confused:

15. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

CH1 IS very scrubby....still ;)

BK4 is a great combo brush.
    I use it mainly for creams but it works great with the TripMills as well.
    I dont use it for building lather in my face. This is for use with a lather bowl.
    Dont get all hung up on it not being dense enuff.....I had the same concerns b4 I conned Wilbur outta his.
    The BK4 feels flexxy, not floppy and there is very little bloom on her.
    This brush has bristles that are hard to describe because they feel soft, with a little scritch to em...... but the brush is not floppy at all.
    Get one and I guarantee that you will like it.
    If not, you can easily get your money back by selling it to one of us saps here :D

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

Cool, Thanks!

I'm gonna have to think this over, I still am thinking Rooney possibly as well....I love the one I have now.

Thanks for all the info :cool:

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Rick!!,

Maybe when the black one's available, I'll take the plunge.

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yeah !
    Shes definately a looker.
    My2C worth:

Simpsons SuperCH1 for soaps. Built on face.
    Rooney SuperSmall 3/1 for both (my combo brush ;))
    BK4 for lather bowl building
    B&B LE SuperFinest when I want mounds of lather and I'm ready for a 6pass inspection shave.
    ............................I do have another brush on the way but youll have to wait for a review later.

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

Sweet, Thanks!

Now, I am really curious to see what you have on the way ;)

Hoping Mike will chime in with his thoughts on the Polo 8 and Duke 2 as well, the Chubby 1 might work well too.

20. Will

Will Nevermind

Kent!