Mike's Natural Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by 2005xfr, Mar 25, 2012.

1. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

stonyloam likes this.
  2. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I just received a bar of his Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper SS. It smells amazing. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, though.

3. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I've had the samples for a couple of weeks, but haven't used them yet. They do smell great.

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

What is the cost of Mike's shaving soap, from those who have ordered? It looks like something I would like to try.

5. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Zilla likes this.
  6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

This soap would be worth trying interesting scents.

7. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Can't wait to hear your impression.
    :happy093:

8. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Wow! I don't know if I'd have your restraint!
    :char039:

9. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I have many soaps and creams I haven't tried. I'm now dedicating weekends to samples, starting with my T & H creams.

Heck, I bought 8 or 9 Mama Bears samples 2 months ago and have only tried test lathers with them.

10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

To answer your questions:
    • Any good? Great!
    • Lather? Outstanding
    • How's the fragrance? This is subjective, but I like it a lot.
    Mike's Natural Soaps Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper review

Overall: (9.5/10)

Ease of lathering: (10/10)
    Copious amounts of thick, rich lather are produced quickly and easily with this soap, enough for the four passes I did and then some. This is the easiest lathering soap I have ever used. The water where I live is moderately hard.

Life span of lather: (10/10)
    I was in no hurry to finish my shaves, yet the lather did not dry out on my face. A very high quality lather indeed.

General skincare: (9/10)
    The moisturizing and general skincare qualities of this soap are very good. Just right in fact - enough to be moisturizing but not so much as to leave my face feeling greasy or sticky. My face feels great after the shave!

Lubrication: (10/10)
    The razor just glides over my face, and this with a blade that sometimes tugs a little on the first pass. I used three passes (with the grain, across the grain, against the grain) with a fourth touch up pass against the grain.

How protective: (10/10)
    Very protective resulting in a notably comfortable shave. The lather has excellent cushioning, and I had no irritation, nicks or cuts.

Scent: (8/10)
    The soap has a very nice orangey scent, among the best of any shave soap I have used. It is a little bit of sunshine that makes starting off the day just that much better.

Price: (10/10)
    At $8.25 for a 2.5" x 3.5" x 1" bar (approx. 65 mm x 85 mm x 25 mm), this soap is a great value for the money.

Would you buy again: (10/10)
    Oh hell yeah! I will definitely be buying more of this soap, as it works very, very well.

Miscellaneous:

Mike's Natural Soap is a little softer than most glycerine soaps, but not as soft as the Italian barbershop soaps such as Vitos.

Customer service is great and the vendor very responsive. I placed the order late at night and it was notified by email the next afternoon that it had shipped. The package arrived within a few days, and that after being shipped 3,000 miles.

Although I really like the Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper scent, I like the Peppermint and Rosemary scent is even more. An extra goodie in the form of a lime soap sampler was also included in the package. It also is very nicely scented.

jeraldgordon, srpavko and 2005xfr like this.
  11. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

GREAT REVIEW!
    THANKS!

12. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Nice composition of ingredients. What is the price?

13. BenjamanBarker

BenjamanBarker New Member

I haven't tried Mike's yet but from other places I have heard great things and believe it's a tallow first soap!!!

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My mistake, it is $8.50 for the Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper and $8.25 for the Peppermint & Rosemary. The other shave soaps are $8.00. Here is the website:

http://mikesnaturalsoaps.com

15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Just ordered the Barbershop scent. Looking forward to it.

Zilla likes this.
  16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's a very good soap.

17. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

How would you compare it to Mystic Water, Oscar?

18. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

on my "too try" list... nice review. Thanks for the thread

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I think it compares favorably. IMO, nothing I've ever used has the skin care qualities of Mystic Waters. I read that some people are having trouble lathering it (Mystic Waters), however, for me it lathers easily and profusely and as I said the skin care is superb. I do think that Mike's is excellent in all regards and the skin care is good but not quite as good as Mystic Waters, YMMV. Randy, if you'd like to try some, pm me your address and I'll get some Mystic Waters and some of Mike's Rose and Cedar in the mail to you. BTW, the soap moratorium didn't last long.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  20. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

Were do you find Mystic Waters?