Sushi anyone?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by msandoval858, Feb 9, 2007.

1. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Curious how many others around here share my passion for this delicacy? Definately expensive for dining out however I've spent quite a bit of time perfecting making it at home. I have a source here in Austin for quality fresh fish and a Japanese import store to pick up odds and ends.

How I do love me some spicy tuna rolls :happy088

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Me, me me! I work for a Japanese company. I have sushi once or twice every two weeks. They even have a sushi chef come in every other Wednesday and make it fresh for lunch in the cafe.

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

My Brutha from anotha mutha !!
    I think we may have beenseparated at birth :eatdrink020
    My neighbor makes THE most awesome spicy tuna roll ever.
    She is still refusing to give up her recipe, tho.

4. Baron

Baron New Member

I enjoy it, but haven't had it in awhile... I'm always wary of trying new places... I'm sure there's got to be one good one in Boston somewhere, but I don't know where it is

5. Will

Will Nevermind

God I Miss Japan!

Always hook the chef up with some Saki, he will take care of you after that! :: KOMPIE!

I also loved the Sushi bars in Japan when all you had to do was stack up the plates and eat away! :D

6. Gatorade

Gatorade New Member

I can do the rolls pretty well but got the most satisfaction out of the press molds. You can make it faster and not get as frustrated. Then when you make the rolls there isn't as much pressure to get it right. Also putting the nori on the outside of the roll helped me early on. Then I progressed to putting the rice on the outside. Also another tip is to wrap your roller in saran wrap then roll from there.

7. msandoval858

I never tried the press molds. I started with the basic nori on the outside to get the feel of it, now I almost always make them with rice on the outside.

Saran wrap is your friend when making sushi at home. Always keep your bamboo mat wrapped and also use sheets to form and cut the special rolls like rainbow, caterpillar, etc.

Next time I make some I'll post some pics to share :cool:

8. msandoval858

forgot I had this. This is about 2 years ago when I first started making it myself. I'm a little better now :D

Old crappy camera, sorry about the pic quality

Attached Files:

9. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

OH !!!!!!! You lucky Devil You !!!!!!!! ::ban :rofl

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Dude you have been holding out on me!!!!!!! where do you get the sushi grade fish and the mats etc...We can go Japon or that one on Parmer lane for our next meeting...better yet your house:D Sashimi is my preference but I love sushi, Salmon, tuna, shrimp, eel, man I eat sushi at least once or twice a week.

Raf

11. Las Medusas

Las Medusas New Member

I love sushi.

This is my favorite sushi roll from my favorite sushi joint:

Screamin' O' Roll
    Tuna, unagi, crab meat, cream cheese & avocado rolled and deep fried tempura style topped with our secret firey sauce.
    Caution: Thoughts of Meg Ryan will race through your head!​

:pot

12. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Nothing finer than some good basic sushi. Even better is sushi from a higher-priced place that knows what they're doing with respect to ingredients and preparation.

Spicy salmon hand rolls are one of my favourites.

13. msandoval858

I haven't been holding out, everyone just always opts for Mexican food :D

Next time I make some I'll let you know. I'll introduce you to my "sources"

:cool:

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Cool!!!! sounds like you are taking me to meet the Yakuza!!

Raf

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

All I have to do is ask the president of the company or some of the other Japanese managers where they are currently hanging out at lunch & dinner and I can guarantee it will be the best place in the valley. So, I checked with them last Friday abd they dragged me along to this little hole in the wall place that seats about 20 people and you know what? I was right. The managers told me this place is the closest to an authentic decent place back in Japan. I had to agree. The good part when I go with these guys is that they will order me stuff that you will never see on the menu just to see if I will eat it. Costs me nothing. I've had some really weird but absolutely great stuff that way.

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's Sushi day in the Cafe today! Spicy Tuna hand roll, Unagi, Edamame, zaru soba are on my list along with a bowl of Miso Soup.

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I could eat sushi rolls everyday. Truly one of my favorite foods. I had some King Crab Rolls and some Spicy Tuna tonight that were divine.

18. Baron

Baron New Member

I got some from Whole Foods the other day... actually pretty good :)

There's no other place in my area I can think of that would have it (20 minutes south of boston)

but does anyone know of a place right in Boston that's good?

19. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    It's kinda hard to find high quality sushi. It seems to be one good place nearby, and the others only serve california rolls.

I usually load up on my trips to NYC, easy to find the good stuff there. I've got an upcoming trip to tokyo soon. I cant wait for sushi and okonomiyaki :drool

20. Will

Will Nevermind

If you need help navigating through Tokyo let me know.