How many shaves from a puck of shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GeneRector, Apr 8, 2012.

1. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I am on my first puck of Williams Shaving Soap. I know, YMMV, but about how many shaves can you reasonably get per puck? Or, if you use another brand, tell us how long it lasts, etc. Your views appreciated! Always, Gene

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

May you never find out. That soap should only be one in a number in your ever growing rotation of soaps and creams. Read the 'shave of the day' everyday and think of new soaps that you want to buy. This site alone had dozens of sample soaps that you can but for a fraction of the cost of the Whole. Experiment and hope that you'll never find out how long a round will last.

3. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

I will throw out a estimated number......I never counted but it seems mine would normally last around a month maybe a bit more if I was to shave every day. When I first started wet shaving I use to only shave every other day so one puck would stretch out that much further for me....so Id say about 30 shaves or so.....but I lather up pretty heavy on the puck for every pass.....and generally do 3 passes so keep that in mind as well.

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I'll bet Tom can answer this. He uses Williams almost exclusively.

5. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

I have 2 pucks that I picked up on sale at the pharmacy. I haven't actually tried them, yet, because I have so many samples of other soaps. I think this will be my Williams month. Looking forward to trying it, as apparently, folks either love it or hate it!

6. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Number of shaves from Williams? Let's find out...

One... two... thrrrreee and it hits the trash bin. That's about it for me.

battle.munky likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Current or vintage?

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have to soak the modern stuff to get decent lather and the one puck I tried was about 6 weeks worth of daily shaves. I have a vintage puck that I've used about that much and have maybe used up 1/4 of it. Honestly, I won't bother with the new stuff again.

A typical puck of "glycerin" soap lasts me about 1 month/ounce (4 ounce puck would last 4 months). A typical 4 ounce puck of triple milled soap will last between 6 months and a year for me. Of course all that is based on how I make lather and my water quality. Based on what others have told me, I wouldn't expect to get much more than I do and maybe plan for a little less.

9. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I was guessing somewhere about 40 to 50 shaves per puck. What about MWF? Any idea on the approximate number of shaves per puck? On the Williams Shave Puck, I add a couple of drops of glycerin to my scuttle and this seems to help the lathering. It may not be the best, but I am determined to use that puck of Williams up making the best lather I can. Always, Gene

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

DSCF1533 (640x382).jpg
    One Williams trick I learned is to take a puck of VDH Glycerin or Deluxe and melt it in the microwave, then pour it around the Williams . Your brush hits both and one soap complements the other. I read about this years back from a crotchety old shaver on one of the forums who was very economical about soaps . I am using a vintage Williams puck in the pic but I worked it with current Williams as well years back and it seemed to help the lather.

11. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I use Williams by its self. It is not in my normal rotation. However it is my main go to soap for shaving my head. I have the same puck for the last 3 months. It seems to last six months with shaving my head at least once or twice a week. I have took a cheese grater to Arko and Williams and made some good soap from that as well.

12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My estimates are similar to yours. With continuous, daily use:
    -Williams: 2 months
    -4oz glycerin: 4 months
    -4oz triple milled: 8 months

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I agree OldSaw. I gave up on the stuff. It don't even get to 3 shaves anymore. I have two pucks of vtg (and really like the performance of it) and I keep a puck of modern just so I can participate in TSD Williams events. Other than that, it isn't worth the hassle for me. Too much work for wayyyy too thin of lather and next to no performance.

OldSaw likes this.
  14. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I think with the size of the Williams puck that you'll get about 30-45 shaves from it. This probably could be more but this soap really needs to be loaded heavily and used with a lot of water (modern version anyway) so you go through it a bit faster than most hard soap pucks.

15. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

I get a little over a month out of Williams. It was the 1st soap I used when I started in 1989. So its always held a special place in my heart.

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

It's been a while since I used a puck of Williams, but the 2 month estimate sounds right to me.

17. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Current. Vintage gets more love.

18. CyanideMetal

and deserves it.

19. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! What does the vintage Williams have in it that the modern does not? And why was it changed? Always, Gene

20. CyanideMetal

Mankind evented quantum mechanics to explain how time and gravity behave beyond the event horizon of a collapsed star or black hole, yet no one can answer why Williams not only changed the formula, but didn't have the sense to change it back. Go fish.:angry032: