Van der Hagen returns

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 5, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Or at least, it returns to my local Wal-Mart. It's been missing for over a year. Not only is it back but there's also the "premium" Shave Set as well. Unfortunately, the VdH Glycerin shave soap didn't return.

[​IMG]

alpla444 and awake2shave like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very cheap. I have one that I aint tried yet, for reasons mentioned (I have 6 creams 5 soaps and 2 shave sticks in use!!!) trying to use them first lol

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. Grande

Grande Member

My local supermarket has it on the shelf for $1.99. There are 2, deluxe and premium (as you've pictured). One's white and one's pinkish. What's the difference. I've used the pink one and like it more than somewhat!

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The pinkish one is their glycerin-based soap.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Then they have these 2 new dual soaps - for bathing and shaving:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And finally, their luxury shaving soaps:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Grande

Grande Member

Thank Jody, those 2 are the only ones I've seen readily available. And they're "melt to fit!"

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Wow!! Our super store only carries one! Then again they don't even carry razor blades. DE or SE.

7. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I saw and picked up a puck of the Deluxe soap at my local Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I think they also had the "premium" shave set as well but I didn't buy that...

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've only seen and tried the Deluxe and Select. Both excellent soaps.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The orange glycerin puck is my favorite.

10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I've never seen them at the Walmart here in Canada. Only Wilkinson Sword and Williams :(

11. simmonds

simmonds Member

Sweet! I am still waiting for the vintage Williams to show back up on my local store shelves. ;)

12. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

How ironic. I was just at Walmart this morning and found this for $1.46. Only bought one puck. Then I saw it later at Walgreens for $3.99. Maybe I should've stocked up!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333663390.366670.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333663362.714141.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333663376.597878.jpg

Attached Files:

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same 'round these parts - $1.50 at Wal-Mart; twice that at the drug stores, if not more.

14. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

Haves to try it.

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Just so it's clear opinion isn't anonymous, I find the Deluxe and Select versions better than the Glycerin. All are good, but not top-notch IMHO. Definitely the best shave soap I've used that costs less than $5.

16. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

Nothing other than Wilkinson and Williams here in eastern Canada Wal-Mart's either :(

17. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

That's kind of where I'm at- I'm not in love with the VDH, but at less than $2, I'll probably always have one around. I do have to say though, I like it more than my EJ puck of soap- easier to lather, and it leaves my skin feeling nicer afterward.

18. I have the luxury at Targets and the rest at WalMart and drugstores. I have yet to try any of them... Are they different enough from TOBS Sandalwood? That's the only soap I've ever had...

19. newb

newb Resident Newb

I must disagree, what about Palmolive and Arko ? VDH is ok and IMHO better than Williams or Wilkinson Sword. But even the VDH luxury line is inferior in performance to Arko (if you can get over the scent) and Palmolive.

20. razorx

razorx Member

I like the VDH Deluxe,priced the same in Northern Illinois,almost $3.00 at drugstores,going to have to check Walmart for a better deal.I don't mind spending more or trying something else,but it's really working well,I'm sticking with it.