Boar vs Badger vs Horse?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by coche1, Apr 10, 2012.

1. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I kind of feel like this should be part of the sticky at the top of this forum, but what are basic differences between the various types of brushes? When would you prefer 1 to another?

I currently only have 2 brushes- an EJ Pure Badger that came as part of the set that my wife got me to get started in wet shaving and a tiny AoS Badger hair brush that I use as my travel brush that came in a little 'starter' kit. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd 'regular' use brush to alternate/rotate with my EJ to make sure that it gets a chance to really dry out for 2 days between uses, but I have no idea which type to even start looking at...

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Get the pig.. Omega with a plastic handle..probably the standard size loft of around 50mm is good for the first one. Lots of good deals there.. just remember that boar takes time to break in..ie the top part of the bristles to split and become soft...so oink! happy shaving!.:)

macaronus and Hanzo like this.
  3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Quick and dirty answer here:

Badger: softer than others initially; not much of a break in period; traps water between the hairs
    Boar: stiffer and more backbone; after a break in period the tips split and can be badger soft; absorbs water thus needing a pre shave soak
    Horse: somewhat a combo of the above; traps water like badger; stiffer like boar; does break in over time with tips getting softer but I don't believe the ends split

That a start and probably then end of my knowledge on it. I'm sure more will be by to give better information that may even discredit some of what I just typed.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm with Joe. You've already tried badger. You gotta try a boar. And since you gotta, Omega is hard to beat. Semogue is the only other maker of boar that I would recommend.

macaronus and Williams Warrior like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Major Badger Fan here, but I gotta agree, you already have one so I would get a Boar, I won a Semogue 1305 right here on The Shave Den from a contest and I love it as a fast goto soap brush. It has broken in to be very nice, no way would I trade it for a Badger but I do like it as a different brush :)

macaronus and alpla444 like this.
  6. newb

newb Resident Newb

I got to agree go with an Omega boar as 1st choice. But you may want to consider a better grade of badger. If you like things soft ? I'm actually a big fan of horse, a Vie Long in Natural brown initially will be most similar to your pure badger, but it will break in to almost silver tip soft but with backbone over time. Heck truthfully I recommend getting a better grade of badger, a nice boar, and a quality horse. Buy one of each. Life's too short to only have a couple of brushes.

macaronus and Sodapopjones like this.
  7. coche1

Actually, I like the little bit of scritch that my badger has. And, in the last couple of weeks, I feel like it has lost a bit of that scritch and I'm finding myself wishing that it hadn't... I feel like I've been a bit back and forth with this brush though- when I first go it, I loved the scritch on my face but then it started getting worse and worse. So I cleaned it really well with a touch of shampoo, gave it a good rinse, and let it dry for a couple of days (didn't shave over a weekend) and it sprung right back to how it had been performing- quite well, with just a touch of scritch to it. And it has been working that way for a couple of months now, and in the last week or two I feel like a bit of that scritch has either disappeared, or else my skin has toughened up and gotten used to it... Either way though, I don't really think a 'higher' or 'better' grade of badger without any scritch would be the way for me to go.

8. coche1

I know there is a thread somewhere that has a running list of 'good' places to shop for shaving supplies online, but I'll be darned if I can find it! Where's a good place to start looking at brushes? I started with Amazon but they don't tend to have all the information (like loft size! :lyrtuy5:) listed.

9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have boar and badger, mainly Omega's in both, I love my Omega boars (I have 2 in total and a vintage re-knoted with omega) very cheap and work great, as mentioned they do need breaking in.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I know it's titled as Sample Blades, but if a place sells sample blades, they're apt to be selling brushes, as well.

11. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

This can really open a can of worms. I have a collection of about 50 brushes so I have tried most
    Boar: I have both Semogue and Omega. The Omega brushes are good....but Semogue has different grades of boar and I find them to be better (my opinion) I use them primarily for soaps although they are also good with creams.. I normally use badger for creams. Horse I have not made up my mind about as I have had some problems with knots becoming tangled and dense. Horse hair has properties somewhere between boar and badger. Recently I have been experimenting with Boar/Badger and Horse/Badger mixes, and these have been good.

macaronus likes this.
  12. okiwen

okiwen Member

Gotta say, I really like the horse. Like it more and more. I like my Semogue but he paint chips off. The horses hair hasn't shedded much so I'm still impressed.

13. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

macaronus likes this.
  14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Its actually a very BAD idea to make this a sticky, its a highly opinionated and YMMV subject.

However, if you want something similar to your pure badger, but softer, give a short loft natural horse hair brush a go if you can find one.

Also if you need vendor help, just pm me, I will shoot you info and discount codes, should any apply.

I will add this snippet, however from the sticky.

"Water Retention: The ability for the actual bristle themselves to hold onto water; depending on which grade or type of hair you're using, your knot will either hold or repel water.

The importance of this can be taken many different ways, boar likes to repel water, meaning more product and water is generally used making for a great initial lather, but may require reloading of the brush to continue with further passes.

Badger hair, for the most part is a finer grade of hair which holds onto its water, even if its shaken out or squeezed out... This characteristic makes for a brush that will hold onto its lather and release it more evenly through out the shave, and generally doesn't need to be reloaded. There are exceptions to this as there is in everything."

macaronus likes this.
  15. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I own badger and boar and prefer the badger. However, I am going to reccomend that you try a boar brush since you already have two badgers. Semogue and Omega are the only brands I'll reccomend.

macaronus likes this.
  16. newb

newb Resident Newb

How about a Vie Long Horse/Boar combo brush. A little scritch with good backbone. Or even a Vulfix 404 mixed boar/badger. Both are very affordable and may offer you what your looking for?

macaronus likes this.
  17. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

A great boar such as an Omega or Semogue should be included with your growing den. I had thought that badgers were the go to brush, since I have added the piggies I prefer them.

imGrunt and macaronus like this.
  18. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

This is a great thread, it has been very helpful. I have a couple of brushes one from my father-in-law and old Ever-ready that I picked up in a antique store. I have no clue what type of hair was used in either brush. I want to get a boar brush and am thinking about a Semogue 1305. I also want a badger hair brush but haven't decided on what brand, I've been looking at a Parker Safety Razor 100% Silvertip, a Vulfix, or Omega Pure Badger. I'm also looking at a H.I.S Synthetic brush. There are just so many choices!

19. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Of what you listed, I would steer clear of them all actually, I would suggest something not so severe as far as polar opposites. Pick a nice well balanced brush, then you can decide if you want to go floppy, or dense, scritchy or scratchy. ;)

20. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

So what would you suggest?