Congrats to whomever got the Gillette Popular set!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 8, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

A very nice set and beautiful razor. Didn't think it would go for more than $300 but I was wrong... $357.00 - wow. Hope it was someone here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180853513893

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark1966, alpla444 and GDCarrington like this.
  2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Man, that's a sharp razor.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

$357.00 of Popular. That is one cool set!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very nice.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Very nice - but was not I.

Too rich for me on this one!

6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs011:

7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

That was a nice razor , not sure that I would have wanted it that badly. But then again . A tank of gasoline may be that high by December so which would last you longer?

macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Good point.

9. IAmTheJody

I bid in up to $300 but that was my limit. It was one of those where you just knew you'd win it but checked it later and found out someone wanted just as bad as you and you lost. :happy097:

Mark1966 likes this.
  10. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

I had this one on my radar early on, but it was too rich for my blood!!

11. Mark1966

Don't I know that feeling. There are people out there even crazier than I am!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

That seems a bit much for that razor, but I guess it's all in the collector's eye.

I saw a used Merkur Progress Adjustable razor sell for $91 plus around $4.95 for shipping. You can get it new for $61 with free shipping from any number of online sources.

13. IAmTheJody

The Gillette Popular is a somewhat elusive razor which makes them already expensive acquisitions. Even rarer to find it in a complete, minty set like this. To collectors, the price it went for is very much worth it. I would have paid $357.00 for it too. I just didn't think it would have went for that, hence my maximum bid of $300.00. As for a Merkur Progress, it wasn't made in the 1930s and isn't rare - not even in the same class as this Gillette Popular. So yeah, if one sold for $91.00, you can usually attribute that to a newb who didn't know any better.

14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I guess you must be right about the Poplar. I'd never heard of one until this thread. I like the looks of it. I wonder why so few pop up, even without being in a set?

As for the Progress, my bid on it was $36 and I stopped there. It sold for $91 Sunday night. I was shocked.

15. Mark1966

Of course, I shouldn't complain after picking up a #4 set with a black handled Popular and another #4 set with shipper recently. Not quite as minty but still very nice!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

i agree; if you put it in relative terms- how much does a minty gold toggle set with shipper usually sell for? no one would think it strange or highy comment worthy if it sold for $300-400; this set is much rarer. how many sets like this have you seen come up for sale in the last few years? the only people who probably have this set, in this condition, are achim and jake (and we all know jake is really methusala, and bought his sets new, when they first went on sale). actually, just checked, and achim doesn't show this set on his site. (doesn't mean he doesn't own it, though.)

17. paydepst

paydepst Member

Is it Poplar or Popular?

Mark1966, can you post a picture of that black handled Popular?

18. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

the #47 set is more rare than the #45. I´ve this set in my collection - unfortunately it´s missing the razor. So $357 was too much for me.

19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

CyanideMetal likes this.
  20. Mark1966

Sorry, only just noticed the post. I've not taken pics yet but pics of both sets from eBay listings as follows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IAmTheJody likes this.