Total Newb here

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mtnbst, Apr 23, 2012.

1. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

So I have been reading this forum, and decided it would be a good idea to pick up another expensive hobby:/
    OK, so the idea of shaving with a straight razor pops into my head randomly a few days ago. So I google it. .and that its how I found this forum. And if course its expensive because everything I decide to do seems to have big price tags attached. All I own its an electric cheapo that has been giving me razor burn for 5 years now, but I use it anyway(no idea why). So I just bought my first strait off of eBay. I have no idea if this was a mistake but it was only $35. Here is the description :
    "Samuel Kanner Germany straight razor shave ready"

Attached Files:

Conrad1959 likes this.
  2. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Welcome to the Den! Enjoy your stay here and Happy Shaving! :signs046:

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

I have no idea about your str8 but we have several folks who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to fill you in with more info than you thought you needed :D

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welcome !

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:)Welcome to the mighty TSD!

7. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

So would any of you shave with this thing?? I have already ordered some TGQ shave cream...and I am on the search for a moderately priced badger hair brush. Brushes are priced from $3.99-$200+
    hmmm

8. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den, mtnbst! Not sure if your straight is 'shave-ready'. If the vendor did not indicate this I suggest you strop it and take it for a spin. Alternatively, you could get it honed right away before your first shave.

Have fun browsing around TSD and enjoy those shaves!

9. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Thank you for the reply! The description did indicate that it is "shave ready" I am confused by the price points of razors and brushes. I found a "best badger" brush that retailed for $70 got it for around $38. I have seen similar brushes selling for $168 ish. Same with razors...if this razor is any good, then why did I only pay $35 for it? Sorry for the ignorance I literally just got into this 2 days ago. Thank you and everyone for patience :)

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'll leave the straight to someone who knows more about them. But the brush I can help. No firm standard exists for grades of badger hair, so one company's Best is another's Silvertip. Then you have handle quality and material. Hand turned handles add to cost, hand finished not as much but still more than injection molded handles. Then account for where the brush is made for labor and shipping costs. This is just the completely legit part.

Then of course you'll have vendors who get a cheap supply and sell at low margin. Another vendor will make really nice website or worse, have a high-end store where overhead is higher and they won't have as cheap a supplier so they need a good margin from a higher starting point.

You also might have bought a smaller brush than the one selling for ~$70. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, most people prefer a medium sized brush to the big monsters, and some even like the little brushes.

You'll want to read reviews and shop around if you continue making purchases. Some items provide much better value than others. Some of us like the much less expensive boar brushes over badgers (at least once they break in). Some find the arko shave stick (shaving soap in a stick form) that sells for about $2 to be a favorite (though I and some others can't get past the scent). A few find the highly refined scents from Castle Forbes to be worth the rather high price tag. You'll just have to read reviews and take a few chances to find what you like.

As someone around here likes to say: "It's your shave, enjoy it your way"(C)

Conrad1959 and swarden43 like this.
  11. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

First welcome to the Den. I am a fellow straight razor shavor. I go between Straights, Single Edges and Double Edge razor. You seemed to get your razor for a decent price shave ready. You can get badger brushes for much cheaper!! Try searches for Tweezerman brand or look at http://shavenation.com/ or http://shavetools.com/ for great prices. Shave tools has horse hair which is also good!! For Cheap straight razors this site sells great straight razor supplies shave ready razors and the supplies. His stuff is priced cheap. http://www.starshaving.com/ hope this helps you out. I'm always here for more questions!

12. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

This helps tremendously! I have bookmarked these sites, and taken notes.
    Thank you. I just ordered everything I will initially need. Now I wait for it all to arrive and hope I don't bludgeon myself!

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

14. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

It's a art! Don't get upset or discouraged if you cut yourself or dont get a good shave right away. It is try, try, tray again. The key to the straight shave is all in the angle. Once you get the hange of it, REWARD!!! The best shaves you will ever have! And you will belong to the elite group of us who can brag that we do it now a days. It was a huge turn on for my girlfriend ;). She watches me shave

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

16. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Neolithium, Thank you sir...that was my next question. I was going to give it a whirl out of the box (it said "shave ready") and see what happens. If the edge isn't suitable I will send it off immediately. I do appreciate the resource, it has been on my mind.

17. newb

newb Resident Newb

Welcome to the Den, Your pic looks like a nice blade. There are a fair amount of straight razor users here. Many ebay razors are advertised as shave ready. But in my experience very few are. But it can't hurt to give it a try. Another good forum you may want to consider is http://straightrazorplace.com . Many of our straight razor user's participate in both. And Glenn from http://www.gemstarcustoms.com/ posts many guides for for new straight user's. Of coarse I feel TSD is the Best and most friendly shave forum on the net, but there's some really good straight info and lots of good people on the other site too.

Zilla likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Agreed! But without the girlfriend part. I'm married - just celebrated 30 years!

As for getting it honed, I've had work done by Glen, gssixgun here at TSD. Several other Den members have had work done by Glen, as well. Haven't heard a discouraging word about him yet!

Zilla likes this.
  19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'd have no problem using your razor. Get it sharpened. In the meantime do a little research. You'll need a strop for daily maintenance and a few other items. Straight shaving is a very enjoyable experience for me. Keep it as basic as you can for a while. There is a learning curve concerning technique and equipment preferences.

20. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome,when I started wet shaving it was with straights, now im onto DE's (double edge razors) I will put stragights back in my rotation some time this year