Let's go with the winner - A restoration story continued

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Apr 28, 2012.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, after the incident that led to the thread "Win Some and Lose Some - Restoration Story" seen under the following thread:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/win-some-and-lose-some-restoration-story.28372/

I realized that the Ever Ready would be scrapped but there was success on the other front. The Parker handle had passed the steam knot separation test with flying colors as seen below.

[​IMG]

So let's go with the winner and get a knot prepared. The knot selected is a Silvertip Badger with a 22.5 mm knot, an overall loft of 57 mm and a peak width of the hairs of 49 mm.

The knot was installed with a very strong waterproof epoxy and the results, with a duplicate of the same knot in the picture for reference, are as follows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A note that the knots came with a plastic sleeve that actually protects the hairs and served to aid in placing the knot in the brush. It allowed the knot to have pressure applied and allowed for a turning effect to allow the epoxy to set up well. It also allowed the brush to maintain a vertical position by resting at the top of the handle while the 5 minute curing process took place.

A view from the top down is also in order.

[​IMG]

I think overall it will do quite nicely after a nice break in process is complete and the expected bloom occurs. I will place a picture of the fully bloomed brush when it becomes available in this thread.

2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice job.

Douglas Carey and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Looks like you really got it down now Mr. C...:git:

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

As promised here is a view of the Silvertip in full bloom.

[​IMG]

Here is the Silvertip along side the Simpson Colonel X2L in Best Badger.

[​IMG]

The Silvertip is much softer than the Best Badger (as expected). Now the restoration story is complete for the acrylic handle.

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Good job!

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Gary, I'm kind of curious as to how the Silvertip is softer than the Simpson's Best as its essentially the same thing? Are you talking face feel, or hand feel? I mean looking at the pictures alone, you've got significant loft on the Silvertip which should allow for more splay and a semi false sense of feel; compared to a denser short loft Simpson.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The density actually goes to the Silvertip but just barely. It is softer than the Best both when gently rubbed both dry and when wet to the face. It is not a major difference, but there is a little less scritch with the Silvertip. They are both really good brushes.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. Sodapopjones

Hmm, Gary, how long have you had the Colonel?

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

About 2 weeks and this brush is also new.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I thought of something else. My new Muhle 33 K 257 Silvertip Fibre is equally as soft as the Silvertip and slightly softer than Colonel. All have differences but in terms of overall softness and lack of scritchness, the Silvertip and the Muhle Fibre are the highest level brushes that I have.

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

nice job on the re-knot, it looks great. May it serve you well for many years.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

13. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Looks great!

14. Sodapopjones

Ooh ok, give it more face time and get back to me! Once the Silvertip starts to hook though, its definitely not as soft.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Right now I am busy working with the Muhle 33K257, Vie Long and the Colonel so it will have to wait a while.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This brush still stayed soft and eventually was given as a gift to my Pastor who has helped me immensely over a long period of time.

He returned back to traditional shaving, after a discussion of lather and brush versus canned goo. When he asked for leads on some equipment, this was part of a gift I gave to get him back in the game. One 1940 series Super Speed, Brush, blades and some C.O. Bigelow has got him back on the side of facial hydration. Those two words, facial hydration, was what started him thinking about canned goo and dry skin.

He has been impressed with how soft the brush is and how well it is made. He has had to warn his young granddaughters to leave the brush and shaving stuff alone. They thought the brush was soft too, but he is rightfully concerned with the razor and blade and wanted to make sure they know that those items are not toys.

So three votes have been cast for a very soft brush.

alpla444 likes this.
  17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice bump on this thread Gary some how I missed it 1st time round. Good job:happy088:
    Nice gift/gesture for you Pastor.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Well done,bravo!

;)