Brands of double edge blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What is the oddest brand of doubble edge blades that you have ever come across? Not the typical Personna and Gillettes. Oddest brand that I have come across is probably the Sharp and Blaka brands. I was told on a different board that someone had come across Zepoles and Personal (not Personna) brands.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Me thinks someone was yankin yer chain man.

3. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

What is your definition of odd???

If your definition is a DE Razor Blade from a foreign country with a foreign name and you find that odd, I don't know if there is enough space to start printing the names (i.e Dorco, Sputnik etc.)...

But, I haven't found any that were odd...

What is odd is a FIVE BLADED RAZOR when a razor with ONE BLADE will do the trick nicely... :rofl

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Don't I know it. I got a free fusion in the mail and I am still staring at the thing wondering why.

:whacky084

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The oddest blade to me is simply the one that I have the least of, and have never heard anything about.......anywhere.

A friend gave me a 5-pack of "Platinum Softi" blades from Italy. These are the oddest blades I have, but they work well and since I only have 3 more of them I rarely use them :D

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Those Platinum Soft blades would qualify as odd balls in my defintion. Has anyone else found any odd balls?

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Frankly, I think the "Treet Blue Speical" are odd-ball blades.......or at least I found it odd to see a black blade. Not so odd now.

They are excellent, but definitely "odd" considering most/many wetshavers only know Derby/IP/Feather/etc.

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

any "rust" issues with those Batman Mottern Blades ?
    I know leisureguy had quite a routine for them.....

:signs108

9. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Carbon steel is prone to rust, it's true. After I finish my shave, I rinse the razor in hot water from the tap, shake it out well, swish the head in a little jar of 91% rubbing alcohol, and put it in the rack to dry. I just finished my 10th day of shaves with a Treet Blue Special, and when I took it out of the razor to discard, there was no sign of rust. But without the alcohol, the blades can rust overnight. (I do live near the ocean, so sea air may be a factor...)

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Thanks Michael.

Ive seen different versions of this and I wasnt sure of the results.
    10 shaves , tho !
    WOW.
    Gonna load one up tonight.

11. fritz

fritz New Member

I do the same sort of routine, but because of other old habits I loosen the head a little first (I think it allows both water and alcohol to rinse through the head easier). I have gotten to where I do this on every razor, even if I'm using a stainless blade. The alcohol rinse won't remove previous soap scum, but it seems that if starting with a clean razor this rinse will prevent the soap scum from depositing.

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Maybe you just need a little razorbrite. :D

This is by no means an attemt to advertise an item or to hijack a thread, it is merely an attempt to creatively offer an alternative to saving a blade which costs much more than alkyhaul. :p Come closer now...listen....say we package the alky in a cute little tub, label it "blade bath" and sell it in the store for $9.99. We can smoke these guys!:D

13. fritz

fritz New Member

<snicker> For $34, I could buy enough Treet Black Beauties to shave almost a year, at just one shave per blade! Too bad these snake-oil artists aren't in the US; we could sic the FTC on them to ask for their proof that their ad claims are actually true...

14. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I use Feather, Crystal/Super+, Merkur, Derby Extra, and Dorco DE blades. I was very surprised at how well Dorco blades worked for me. I cork my Feather blades sometimes. Merkur blades are inconsistent but all in all, they all work very well with me.

Also, as my technique has improved, I now get a minimum of 6 shaves per blade. Before I wouldn't have dared tried more than 3 shaves per blade.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yeah, I think that good prep will actually make a blade last longer too (maybe thats what you're referring to as in technique). If the whisker is easier to cut, the blade will last longer.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I like Dorcos as well. You might consider 7am and Sputnik blades as well, in my opinion they are similar in quality.

17. Leon carbon blades.

Paul

18. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Are those the ones I sent you about a year ago? I was too new at the time to tell if those were any good or not.

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yep, those are the ones :D

20. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

They coated?