Where do you keep your razorblade du jour/week ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CHSeifert, Apr 29, 2012.

1. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

I use Gillette Blue Super Plat for my R41 Grande, Feather for my Feather AS-D1 & Astra SP for my Mühle Sophist R89.

I use my blades for 4-5 passes each, that's passes not shaves :)

I have the 3 blades stored in my cabinet in this little green plastic soap container from Clinique, 3 blades will fit in it:

[​IMG]

What do you use :)

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I try to use a new blade for each shave. The open 5 packs I keep in a ferrous bowl with a 1/2 doz ceramic magnets . The only blade I usually keep out is a SE that I used for touch up around my mouth. That I keep with the rest with it's own magnet.

3. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I store my new blades that are in packs in a pencil case, the loose blades are in a small storage container. I keep two de razors with blades in them, also two se razors, they are in a coffee cup on the sink. The two des are my razors for the week, the se's are rotated with also.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I keep my blades away from the moisture and store them in a wooden box on a shelf in my bedroom.

I get about 4 shaves out of a blade and leave it in the razor for the duration. The razor gets stored in my medicine cabinet next to the soap and brush.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I keep my "blades du jour" in an old Gillette razor blade holder. My husband has another of those, for his blades. (They are designed to hold about 5 blades.)

BossManBill likes this.
  6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I keep them right in the razor head. I dry the blade in a stroping fashion on a dry towel and then on old jeans. What is the idea behind magnets and blades?

7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Aside from holding them in place. It's believed magnets will prevent the razors from rusting. Yes, no, maybe?
    I know that it does keep them all in one secure place!:)-) . They haven't rusted yet!

8. prsman23

prsman23 New Member

New and guessing I need to read more about clean up of blades after use... Is there something I should be doing other than drying it? Are they that prone to rust that they need to be kept out of the bathroom?

9. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

So far I am placing the blade on some tissue between shaves, in a little sealed container.

10. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I don't even worry about drying them. I rinse my razor, give a quick shake, and rest it on the the counter until the next shave. Never a problem. I'd rather not handle blades any more than I have to. Some have elaborate rituals for removing, drying, anointing in alcohol, and whatnot, but I don't have that much time. As far as rusting in the bathroom, unless you have more than a years worth of blades (about 100), I wouldn't worry about that either.

I only have one blade in use at a time, and it stays in my razor until I toss it.

When I open a pack, I keep the remaining blades in what used to be a case for ear plugs, and this case is stored in the vanity drawer. It's holds about 10 blades I think.

[​IMG]

Much of my stockpile is stored in a nice, wood cigar box, which is stored in my dresser.

[​IMG]

The remainder, Voskhods, Ladas & Rapiras, are kept on the cards.

johnus likes this.
  11. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I personaly dry my blades after an alcohol dip and replace back in the wrapper then stand on the non blade side in a comb in my medicine cabnet so if I decide to change up my blade from shave to shave I know it will survive until the next time i decide to pull it back out

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

New blades - cigar box with a couple desiccant packs

Blade in use - fresh DE blade in on Monday, transfer to a different razor (after hand stropping) every day, toss on Friday
    - fresh SE blade in on first Sunday of the month, transfer to a different razor every Sunday (after hand strop), toss on last Sunday of month
    - Saturdays are for my str8s! :D

Used blades - blade bank or the plastic package some of the 10-pack blades come in

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

In the razor. ;)

Seriously, I keep the pack I am using on a shelf in the medicine cabinet. The other, sealed packs are kept in an old Q-Tip container under the sink.

14. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

Ditto. I leave the blade in my razor until time to change. I dry thoroughly after shaving. Blades tend to last about a week. It definitely varies amongst blades. I keep my new, unused blades in my dresser in a plastic box.

15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I regularly use three DE razors. Each has its own blade. After shaving I clean razor & blade & load the blade again. I keep 'em in the medicine cabinet.

New blades are stored in the wooden shaving box (in the medicine cabinet as well).

Rolls Razor blades (I've got three) get cleaned and stropped after use and are rotated after each shave. The leather case has two storage spaces for the spare blades.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I open the head on my razor enough to return the blade to it's flat shape (TTO) rinse my razor in water, then swish the head in alcohol in my razobrite, shake excess liquid off, tighten it back down and dry the razor on my hand towel. Ready for the next morning shave!

17. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

I store my day to day blades in the sink drawer between the eye of newt and the unicorn tears. ;) Seriously... The NOS and no longer obtainables are in vacuum sealed food storage bags that have been encased in carbonite and are hidden under a false panel in the bedroom floor.