I strayed from my IPs, and it wasn't pretty

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by peacefrog, Sep 27, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I've been using IPs exclusively for several months, so I decided just a bit of experimentation was in order. First I tried the Topaz blades I found in a local Indian grocery. It gave me a comfortable, though not particularly close shave. Then I tried some Sharps, and those work pretty well for me. Then I tried a Feather, although I've used them on occasion in the past. As I was shaving with the Feather I thought I was getting a great shave. When I was done, I looked like I lost a fight! So I went back to the Topaz. This time it just tugged and pulled and gave me the most uncomfortable shave I can remember. So I'm back to my IPs. Can anything unseat them?

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Derby maybe.

3. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

While I use a variety of blades, Dorco has been very good to me.

4. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

@ Peacefrog: So I'm back to my IPs. Can anything unseat them?

If they work for you, then nothing should unseat them.

Like Telly, I use a variety of blades, but I like the IP's best. They just work well for me. In today's SOS, I used a Merkur 23c and an IP. I think this may just be my favorite razor/blade set-up. I bought a box of 100 IPs some 5 or 6 months and just bought a box of about 70 from another member. They are it for me. I still use Derby and 7am and get great shaves from both. But IP is the "go to" blade for me when it just has to be right.

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Word. Unless you're like me and are a glutton for variety, then its probably best to stick with 'old faithful'

ps - Bob(peacefrog Bob), I owe you a PM (I have not forgotten) :D

6. Will

Will Nevermind

I stuck with IP's for a while too.

Now I have become an official Neckcutta.........er Blade Tester. :D

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I disagree. My opinion is that one should try as many different brands of blades as possible to see what is the best for you. If you are sticking with one blade brand how do you know if there is not a better brand for you. This does not mean that you need to spend an arm and a legg trying many different brands. G on over to razor and brush and send a self addressed stamped envelope to Giovanni along with a request for samples of each of his brands of blades. He will send you one for free. in the long run you may be coming back to the IPs that you like so much but I belivet hat you are better of trying as many as possible so that you can be sure that you are right>

8. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I think it's worth it to periodically experiment to see if anything has changed. As one's technique changes, different blades might work better or worse. And we keep discovering new blades, so those are worth thrying out too.

9. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

:DRazor Blades are always a YMMV issue. What is aggressive for me may be mild to you and what is mild for me aggressive for you...

Whatever works for you, works for you, no matter what anyone says...

You can experiment with a sample pack and maybe come up with several blades that you may like, but your face will determine that...

Experiment, and then decide...

After all the object of the game is to...

Enjoy your shave...

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Racso is right, but more thing needs to be said. In order to experiment you will need to get yourself some sampler packs. The three major packs come from Cognaught Shaving in England (I hope I spelled that right), West Coast Shaving and Razor and Brush. Get yourself a sampler pack and start trying out the different brands. Also Giovanni will send you one free sample of each branad he carries if you send him a self addressed stamped envelope with a request specificying the brands that he carries which you would like to try.