Vie-Long Horsey Brushes...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by blanka, May 16, 2012.

1. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Now that my soap/cream AD is starting to subside, I'm thinking about brushes. Anyone have experience with the Vie-long horse hair brushes? Good, bad...indifferent? Shavetools has three different ones at the $18 price point.

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I don't have one, but they have been written about and have received rave reviews. I've been thinking about picking one up, myself.

3. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have a number of the pure horse and they are good......however look at the horse/boar combos. They are absolutely fantastic!!!

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've never used one, but they seem to get good reviews. So... what the, um... hay. Right? :D I mean, unless you don't like a little horsing around.

blanka likes this.
  5. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I have been using a Vie-long BG2012 from BullGooseshaving.net that I have been using for he past few months and love it.

I just received two more Vie-longs on Monday.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

bullgooseshaving.net ?

DLP likes this.
  7. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs081:

8. kaiser

kaiser Member

May I ask how they differ from boar brushes? I'm a noob and only have experience with my Omega boar brush.

9. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

horse starts with softer tips yet still retains backbone like the boars

10. madmedic

A pure horse brush has the backbone of boar...but holds water like a badger. The horse is ' in between' boar and badger and is the best of both worlds IMO.

11. kaiser

kaiser Member

Sounds good.
    Tried to find European online retailer for Vie-Long to check prices but no luck. Anyone knows one with good prices?

12. madmedic

Giftsandcare.....a Spanish company. They also do some nice soaps, creams and aftershaves!

13. kaiser

kaiser Member

Thanks! I knew that site just couldn't remember the URL :)

14. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

15. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'll have to be the odd ball here. I didn't like my Vie-Long horsehair at all. I had the 13061 in the 50/50 ratio. Let me tell you that I really wanted to love this brush. The handle is gorgeous & feels great in the hand. The tips of the knot are pretty soft & the knot has great backbone. Where this brush failed for me was with my lathering style. I like to use a bit of pressure when face lathering, not just barely using the tips. Whenever I'd do this though I'd feel a very sharp prick. This prickly sensation caused me my worst cases of brush burn ever, in fact I don't think any other brush has done this to me. I highly prefer Semogue boars to the experience I had with this Vie-long horsehair. As always, YMMV, mine certainly did!

wlmcad and DLP like this.
  16. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I
    Sorry to hear you had problems. I use a little pressure when lathering too and neither the BG2012 or 13052m have caused me any problems.

17. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Actually my love for the Brown LE is kind of wearing off, I have been using it more and more actually, but when I reach for a badger of any sort I'm rewarded with a better overall experience.

I still hold true to my statements though, its a great budget brush and would make some think twice about spending more for a brush, but in my opinion the hair hierarchy goes: badger, horse, boar.

alpla444 likes this.
  18. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

The V Ls are excellent brushes IMO I just ordered my second and will be getting a third.

wlmcad likes this.
  19. newb

newb Resident Newb

I really like Vie Longs Brushes. I find the dyed versions to be really soft out of the box. The 2 band is the softest . Where as the natural Brown has some scritch and takes a while to break in. I favor the Natural brown. I also like the dyed horse with boar combo in the tall loft barber brush. Vie Long makes great budget brushes IMHO.

wlmcad likes this.
  20. mondoj

mondoj Well-Known Member

The horse mix is next up for me from the consumer line then one of the 50 50 mixes