Gillette Shavette? Who knew?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 24, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Since many straight razor users do not consider a shavette to be a straight razor, I'm posting this here in the Safety Razor section. After all, these use regular double-edge blades...

My latest acquisition, arriving to me today from Germany...

Gillette's whole reason for founding and existence since 1903 was to get people away from straight razors - or the work that goes into maintaining them - and into buying disposable blades, where the money was to be made. Anytime a company can get you hooked on something disposable, something you have to constantly buy more of, the company considers this a success. This is why back in the old days the razor holder itself was had on the cheap, and why Gillette, Schick and others even today in 2012 often give away the handle but you have to buy the cartridges.

So it's very interesting to see that at one time, Gillette did make these particular razors. Or had them made for them. They are quite rare. It seems to be that the sales were limited because you do not see them very often. When is the last time you saw one of these for sale or saw one of these period? I haven't a clue when they were made. The assumption is 1960s, 1970s or 1980s. Based on the logo style, I'm going with the late 1970s to early 1980s.

They use modern double edge blades, which you snap or cut in half.

They were available in four colors: blue, green, yellow and red. I now have the green, yellow and red - which means I've got my eye out for a blue one now.

The images below are from the seller:

ShavetteGillette1.jpg

Here, you can see the mechanics:

ShavetteGillette2.jpg

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

At least (in theory), you'd be using Gillette blades with them.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Interesting and excellent look, but as Rich stated it is a different way to sell Gillette blades.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. kaiser

kaiser Member

Is this "official"? I mean if they are found on eBay or similar site maybe they're just Asian fakes?

5. IAmTheJody

Counterfeit, I don't know. I got them from another collector, not eBay or similar site. Considering the quality and exact correct Gillette font from the time and most counterfeits aren't of similar good quality, I can't say for sure but do doubt it.

6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Wow..didn't know Gillette ever made these. Outstanding!

Tedolph and IAmTheJody like this.
  7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Very cool!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

Hi,

This is very interesting. I didn't know they ever made straights of any sort.

Barry

Tedolph and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You always find such unique and interesting shaving paraphernalia, Jody

macaronus and IAmTheJody like this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs011:
    It's amazing! Where d'you find all these specials?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It would appear that Yoda has minions as well. :eek:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. IAmTheJody

I search high and low, right to left, on top of and under. ;)

13. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

We're they possibly made for use in Barber and Beauty shops?? Would make sense.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. IAmTheJody

Due to their scarcity, I do believe so. Probably given out by Gillette as promos to push their blades.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. IAmTheJody

This is what the seller says today to me about these:

I bought these shavettes from an English retired Gillette employee and he told me that this shavettes were produced in Europe. You can see the shavettes have the same writing/letters like in the late 70s early 80s and have the Trade Mark (TM) included. You can find that style on other labels too. The Gillette company offered these shavettes to sell more razor blades. They produced this shavettes very limited as the employee told me. I saw one shavette on eBay in France and Italy too. I don't think a fake production would use the more expensive stainless steel either.

Good enough for me.

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

Resurrecting this 9 year old thread of mine because it's something very rarely seen, and I still have them.

I've since learned Gillette also had these made with their 7 O'clock brand on them (a picture below). Good quality DE blade shavettes. Stainless Steel. I still believe these were promos from Gillette, given away to barbers and barber shops throughout Europe, South America and India in an attempt to sell more razor blades.
    IMG_20210601_211536.jpg IMG_20210601_211546.jpg IMG_20210601_211854.jpg IMG_20210601_211104.jpg IMG_20210601_211929.jpg IMG_20210601_211812.jpg IMG_20210601_211248~2.jpg 8a2b233dcc5751322160e8e7e3c26ae8.jpg

17. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I suspect that this is something Gillette would like to keep quiet about....
    an indescretion of sorts.

18. IAmTheJody

Probably, but I think that also depends on the location. The Gillette Company USA (these shavettes were before The Gillette Company merged with Procter & Gamble in 2005) probably did not even know they exist, whereas Gillette UK may have been an unwilling participant so to speak. In countries where straight razor shaving is still quite common and preferred, such as India, Germany, Italy and South American countries, Gillette India and etc. may have been proud of them if they drove blade sales even higher, especially in countries that already have high double edge blade sales such as India where it has been a long struggle for cartridge razors to be accepted and they still have a very high use of double edge safety razor use as well as straight razor use.

Then again, we don't know the worldwide oversight and instruction from the USA parent company to its locations/offices/factories around the world.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very cool. Thank You for digging this back up!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I almost bought one a couple years back.

:eatdrink013: