What scents do you like?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Queen of Blades, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I would say shoot a weapon or light fireworks off to smell actual gunpowder. Or at least be around them on the 4th of July.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I have nothing against guns, but it's not really something I'm going to do.
    I didn't think about fireworks, and there being gunpowder in them. :o It has been awhile since I've done anything besides sparklers.
    I'll have to keep my nose on the lookout on the Fourth. :happy088:

3. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I would also go with espresso freshly ground.
    Chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven!

asleep2shave likes this.
  4. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Fresh ground coffee, baked goods (apple pie, carrot muffins, brownie), beef or chicken roasting in the oven, coconut tanning lotion, fresh mint.

asleep2shave likes this.
  5. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

gingerbread, strawberry with chocolate

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    drying laundry, huh? That sounds really familiar, I think I shaved with that very scent quite recently...;) I really hope the next SOTQ/COTQ is not "Wet Grass" but I'll take whatever you throw my way!:D

Thank you again for getting Creme Brulee! I'll place an order for that sometime this week (hopefully)

7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Oh and I forgot red wine! How can I have forgotten that one, more specifically a 10 yr Grand St-Brice, it's like nectar!

8. raag

raag Member

The smell of Moroccan/Turkish/Middle-Eastern cooking... So fragrant and exotic and tantalizing.

9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Freshly ground coffee would be sweet to be honest. Actually I think this latest SOTQ was very close to laundry for a scent, I loved it :)

10. Rafen

Rafen Member

I love the smell of Jolly Ranchers. I actually just bout some soap at the Great Lakes Medieval Fair. I haven't used it for shaving but it smells amazing when I'm in the shower and when I get out. I also love the smells of grapes and wine.

11. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Mountain sage, new Japanese Cypress baths at a hot springs (in Japan of course!), the sun ... i.e., linen drying in the sun.

12. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Some favorites for me: Fresh cut wood: esp. Cedar, Sandalwood, Pine Trees (like being in the rockies), new leather, freshly ground coffee, aromatic pipe tobacco, sage (fresh but not as much when burned), and a rainstorm. I've seen a lot of products listed as rain, fresh rain, spring rain, etc. but nothing smells like a good rainstorm... nothing else in the world.

GeneRector likes this.
  13. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

A wood shop, a campfire, a leather jacket, almond, sandalwood, musky spices, and the smell of napalm in the morning.

14. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Smells that I enjoy:
    1. Rain
    2. Lavender
    3. Lilac
    4. A yard while it is being mowed
    5. An Old House
    6. Burning leaves in Autumn (just a small whiff)
    7. A wiener roast
    8. Old Books
    9. Whiskey, Vanilla, Cherry, and Heavy English Pipe Tobacco
    10. Smell of a Coleman Gas Lantern and a Kerosene Lantern
    11. Anything grilling over charcoal.

15. Fresh baked bread, Freshly cut oak or cedar, apple cider, and basil are a few of my favorite scents.

Smoothy likes this.
  16. Gairdner

Gairdner Well-Known Member

• Pipe tobacco with Latakia
    • Some cigars
    • The amazing scent of fresh rain when it stops and the sun comes out
    • The olfactory wonder of an old English Rose in full bloom
    • Lavender bush on a warm day
    • Oak as its being carved
    • Cedar as its being cut
    • Hot chips with salt & vinegar
    • Sweet violets in the spring
    • Sunday dinner cooking
    • Freshly cut grass
    • Old books
    • Freshly dug earth
    • TOBS Mr Taylor's Cologne
    • Coal tar soap
    • Cakes baking in the oven
    • Freshly baked bread
    • Freshly brewed coffee
    • Gorse bushes in May with a light breeze blowing your way - pina colada!
    • Old leather
    • A good curry
    • Earl Grey Tea
    • Warm summer evenings
    • Log fire burning
    • MWF bar soap & shaving soap
    • Turkish delight
    • Chocolate
    • My dog Toby (but not his breath, eeeeeewwwww!)
    • The nectar heaven that is burying your nose in a pint glass of Timothy Taylor's Landlord when you've drunk half the pint (that'll be an Imperial pint at 20 oz ;))
    • Breathing in the heady aroma of a Malt whisky distillery as you take a tour
    • Pear drop sweeties
    • Walnut oil
    • But the best of all is an English Discovery apple fresh off the tree in August - I'd rather have a bag of these than any amount of chocolate, sweets or cake!
    I can just see it. The next SOTQ is:........ Wet Dog!

17. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Virgin Olive Oil.

:signs011: And nearly all of these as well. Some of them would make amazing shave soaps or creams, I bet...

18. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Heres a few of my favorite smells...that my smeller smells!

1.Fresh opened bottle of Coca-Cola (right after you hear the PFFFFFFT of the cap)

2.Pecan wood (via smoking a pork butt or brisket)

3.Sawdust.....( I like to stand by the saw as the fellas at Lowes cut wood)

4.Grape juice

5.Fresh opened pack of Craisins (dried cranberries)

6.I absolutely love the smell of pumpkin over the holiday months.

7.Christmas is probably the best smell tho.....like in your local Dilliards around the housewares like candles and potpourri....or in Hobby Lobby by the wreaths and such!

8.Fresh cut christmas trees! (like the aroma you get when you crawl underneath your christmas tree to fix a few lights and you catch a whiff of the tree needles mixed with the woody smell....you talk about awesome!

9.Given its all fresh and theres no fishy smell......a sushi bar smells amazing! The nori and steamed rice is what makes up most of the aroma.

10.Whipped cream from the can

11.Fresh/crispy money ALWAYS smells nice;)

12. Growing up being a big camper.......I love the smell of steaks and eggs and bacon being cooked in an iron skillet over a camp fire....early morning on the lakeside!

13. One more! Fair food! Like funnel cakes and turkey legs!

19. jbund

jbund Well-Known Member

For the first time since I been here I have to say that I hate you all. I can only consistently smell gasoline and that is about it. I fear this thread for me was like trying to explain colors to a blind man but what the hay it all sounds wonderful to me. Once in a while I will get a whiff of something but not know what it is and mostly it doesn't stay with me. Which is possibly one of the reasons I like wet shaving. At least for a little while I do smell something. So it is a bit scary trucking out the front door in the morning I have no idea what scent picture I am presenting to the world - do they go together? Is it too strong? Is it better than gasoline (which I gather most people don't like). But as an affliction it makes life interesting! I miss many of the little danger signals that smells give the rest of the you. It almost made me fail high school chemistry, our teacher was finishing up his doctorate in organic chemistry and he loved to pass around all these samples and ask what it smelled like and they would get to me and they didn't smell like anything but plain water to me. I suspect he thought that I was being a smart-ass, until we got into the lab and somehow I was given the station right next to the hydrogen sulfide generator. Then he discovered that it didn't bother me at all because it didn't smell to me he decided that just maybe I couldn't smell any of his wonderful samples. Oh Well such is life. Keep enjoying all these things and telling me about them!! Thanks!

So I guess if I were to add something to your lists it would be gasoline the old leaded type.

Monkeylord likes this.
  20. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

The smell of blossoming fruit trees in early spring(apples, cherries, plums... ); elderberry and jasmine flowers; hay, I buy alpine hay for my lemming and it smells wonderful when you open the pack; sawed wood oak and beech (that's what is mostly used for wood stoves around here) and smells great in autumn when you pass a pile of freshly sawed wood; that fresh smell after a thunder storm, I guess it's ozone; home made extra virgin olive oil and spices, oh and the sea, love the smell on the coast especially early in the morning.