Toner vs Astringent

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by coche1, Jun 7, 2012.

1. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I have been using Thayer's cucumber witch hazel TONER after shaving before applying AS Milk/splash for a couple of weeks now, and I really like the way that my skin feels after using it. I have noticed, however, that a recurring problem for me is the forming of small sensitive hard areas (small pimples essentially) around the edge of my goatee from time-to-time. This is a problem that I've always had dating back to before I started wet shaving, but I am starting to wonder if maybe another change to my routine might help reduce/eliminate these. Reading online very briefly did not immediately yield a clear answer as to the difference between 'toners' and 'astringent' except that astringents seem to be more 'aggressive' (for lack of a better word) and can be harsher on the skin.

Might it be worth a try to switch to a WH astringent after my shave, at least a few times per week?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Can't hurt. Might help. I say give it a go.

3. coche1

Yeah, I guess I got a little bit off-track as I typed my original post and never really asked the question I started out wanting to ask: What is the difference between an astringent and a toner?

4. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

An astringent is a type of toner.
    From Wikipedia

richgem likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'd suggest hitting those "pimples" (white heads probably) with the ol' alum block. The salt will dry them up and kill any bacteria that might cause further break out.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :signs011:...and keep using the witch hazel!

7. coche1

That makes sense, except that Thayer's witch hazel is labeled as an astringent in some cases and a toner in others, where that wikipedia link implies that witch hazel is a type of astringent.

8. coche1

That makes some sense- guess I gotta get me an alum block now!

9. richgem

Just guessing here, but maybe the different Thayers have different percentages of alcohol in them, hence the distinction.

10. richgem

Try tulumba.com , very inexpensive. They won't be as pretty (clear) as the big name blocks, but they'll get the job done and while the block is small, it'll last forever (or until you drop it :eek:).

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Definitely go with the Alum. You can even get the stuff that says it's solid deodorant, just make sure to read the ingredient(s) list and make sure it's not Ammonium Alum. You want Potassium Alum (sometimes listed as "natural mineral salts") if you're using it on your face.