My Silver Basket weave before and after clean up today

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by April Dawn, Jun 8, 2012.

1. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Today my silver basket weave arrived , after some clean up it sure turned out nice

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Did you use the baking soda, hot water, and aluminum foil trick?

Looks great btw!

April Dawn likes this.
  3. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Thank you :) Oh Darn I forgot abut trying that! Nope , I used hot water and dawn, soaked and scrubbed off the loose stuff, then scrubbing bubbles, a quick dip in Tarnex and then metal polish. HMM maybe I will do another clean up and try the baking soda and tinfoil :)

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Zereoue20 and April Dawn like this.
  5. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Turned out very nice. Excellent job!

April Dawn likes this.
  7. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Thank you Jody! That is a compliment that makes me feel really great after seeing your collection

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

You did an amazing job. I have that same set and used Scrubbing Bubbles and Dawn detergent and polish and it still didn't look as good as yours. I'm impressed.

It looks brand new!

April Dawn likes this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Good work!..:2thumbs:

April Dawn likes this.
  10. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Thank you :) I am a good cleaner upper still working on learning to polish and remove scratches

11. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Looks great April...you always do a nice job on your clean ups! I need your gold clean up tips for my new basket weave !

April Dawn likes this.
  12. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

I really do the same thing you do Mr Ken Soak..(1st remove the trays inside the case) in hot dawn water scrub a bit, scrubbing bubbles more scrubbing ( tooth brush) and rinse, then I use a different polish than you do I use Mr Metal it removes tarnish and grime with no abrasives and is safe for all metals. Then I buff. If there is still more grime I repeat with the Mr Metal until clean. Rinse dry done. I do not use my razors so I have not used the blue barber stuff yet :) I need to order that stuff and I want a vintage barber canister for doing that.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Just be careful to leave the item in for no more than ten to fifteen minutes max because Barbicide, or Marvicide, is corrosive if items are left in for several hours. Others, not me thank goodness, have found out the hard way. I use a kitchen timer when I am soaking razors in the solution (in the Barbicide jar).

Good fortune.

April Dawn likes this.
  14. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Another great tip! Thank you! I just was thinking a quick dip I did not know it was several minutes :) I really do not use them just clean them up and when I move I will be displaying them in my Gillette case and some shadow boxes. But in case a guest wants to try one out I would like them to be safe to use

15. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Very nice cleanup. I need to quit being so picky when I find old razors that look bad. You have shown that they clean up great!

April Dawn likes this.
  16. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Most of them do ..they just need to be in good shape :) I have even purchased some that had bent teeth and gently moved them back to where they need to be and ended up with a beautiful razor that everyone ignored.

17. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Great work - well done!

April Dawn likes this.
  18. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

:) I had a few similar razors like that and polished them up. But polishing up the case and the blade holder never even occurred to me. Looking at this makes wish I did it might have upped the resale value .:ashamed001:

April Dawn likes this.
  19. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

April, excellent job. Great looking razor.

April Dawn likes this.
  20. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Thank you :)