Adjustable Razors - B.Beauty, FATBOY, Futur, etc.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Commander Shepard, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Gentlemen, i am in the process of purchasing a adjustable razor. I am also in the process of collecting opinions from people who have used adjustable DE razors. The razors i mention in my title are the types id like feedback on. I prefer the length on the Black Beauty and Futur compared to what Ive seen on the FATBOY. Anyhow , fire way gentlemen! Shell me with your ideas and opinions!

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Haven't found an adjustable yet that hasn't given me great shaves.
    If you're trying to decide what to get first, get the one you like the looks of. Then go from there.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

the FB is my go to razor, I havent tried the black beauty (yet I will be getting one next month) the futur is a nice razor and shaves very well:)

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've heard many good things about the Futur but won't ever be able to afford to try one, so I can't help you there. But if it's a long adjustable you want, there's only one answer, imo: an earlier model Super Adjustable (all metal head). My 1970 is now one of only two Gillettes I still own; everything else lost out to them. While I may sample other Gillettes and whatnot as I come by them, I don't see myself ever using another adjustable.

I definitely see and have felt the appeal of Slims and Fatboys - they're great razors - but the Super Adjustable is king...I really think Gillette caught lightning in a bottle (again) with that one.

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I agree with Steve. I have both the Slim Adjustable and the Futur and they both give me excellent shaves. If I absolutely had to pick one to keep though, I think I would keep the Futur. The reason being, I like the way it looks and feels in my hand; it's very well balanced.

6. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

I have a Super adjustable, slim, fatboy, and futur. My go to razor out of these 4 is my futur i like the weight and balance of the futur also a very smooth finish to help it glide across your face. the futur is an aggressive razor that i still use on low settings. my go to setup is a voskhod in my futur on 2 and get a wonderful shave with that.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have a slim and a Fatboy and of the two, I much prefer the fatboy. The heavier weight and the more pronounced dome of the "head" of the razor combine to give me an awesome shave. The slim slips in my hand from time to time and I've never understood why. It has one of the more aggressive knurling patterns Gillette produced. I've never used the super slim or the futur.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have two Slims and have used a Progress, Futur, Fatboy, and I think that's all.....

None compare to the shaves I get from three pieces. Just figured I'd throw in a dissenting view for you to chew on.

Of all I have used though, I liked the Progress the best. If it weren't for the stupid plastic knob and the outrageous cost (IMO) to replace said stupid plastic knob with a nice metal one, I'd own a Progress. It can go from aggressive to cut your friggin head off in a simple twist of the knob (stupid plastic or metal, depending on the outfit). Really nice and comfy shaves once you figure it out, like most razors.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I've only used a '63 slim in the adjustable department. Always gives a great shave, and most of the time they can be had from various places for quite a bit less than a fatboy. The handle is a little longer granted, but it still isn't like trying to shave with a razor head on a broomstick.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :cat: not telling........cuz I am not a gentleman.

battle.munky and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I R confused??? I thought the phrase was "A gentleman never tells....". So, not being a "gentleman" , I'd expect the floor to be covered in spilled beans.:D

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

Of your list my top pick is the Futur, but a super adjustable long handle is also the bee's knee's. I'm not wild about Fatboys but many love em.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Slim, but since I head shave it gets in great behind the ears due to the slim head!

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Got two Fatboys.. a 59 user and a pretty good 60. They shave well though both have had blade exposure issues on all settings except 5. I did notice something a bit off when I tested them initially and the exposure issue was confirmed by the mag glass. There have been many reports of this problem with the Gillette adjustable and I see these reports to be true..at least as far as mine are concerned. The problem is not limited to the FB..apparently the Slim does this also. According to Bruce..aka..Bruce on shaving, Gillette had finally perfected the adjustable by the seventies and ironed out the exposure issue. Something to keep in the back of your mind when hunting down your razor..best of luck...
    Edit.. And that being said, I have gotten, on #5, the very best shaves I've had so far...

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Futur for your modern adjustable and Gillette superadjustable with the long black handle and gold head for your vintage adjustable. The Futur is the better of these two.

16. lindyhopper66

Okay, you got me away from my Webers for a while. I tried my 1969 gold head, long handle Gillette superadjustable this morning and thought I could have stopped right there when I first was buying and trying razors. This is an excellent razor. You can get it for cheaper than the Futur or Fatboy and it is a terrific shaver. I shaved at 6 today, close, maybe too close. I will back it down to 4 or 5 next time. I still like my Futur. I have the Fatboy and slim but don't love them like I do the superadjustable.

Also, the 2 Fatboys I have both had problems with the TTO being droopy. It is common with these razors.

Commander Shepard and gorgo2 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

See? :)

I've found I never need to crank the SA above 5-6. 7 and higher is red zone. I do just because I can but with my beard it just isn't necessary and an extra light touch is definitely called for, or else.

18. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

I've never used a Futur partly I think because to my eye they are plug ugly - YMMV of course.

I prefer the feel in the hand of the FB over the Slim and SA, the thicker handle and better balance to my mind. I'd then go Slim over SA because of look and feel, that black material on the handle doesn't work for me.

Shave wise I can get a good shave out of all of them although if I recall correctly (should keep a journal) some blades work better in one that the other.

So I'd vote:

1. FB
    2. Slim (or Aristocrat if you like gold)
    3. Super Adjustable
    4. Futur

19. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

For adjustables I have a futur, long-handled progress, a fatboy and a black beauty. I get closer shaves from the merkurs. I get great shaves from the progress and it is very easy for me to use. The futur is a beast. It's big, bulky and heavy and has a large blade gap. I have to pay close attention to what I'm doing with the futur. It can deliver a very close shave but can also give razor burn if I'm not careful.

20. lindyhopper66

I've had the opposite experience with the Futur. I can give a close shave without even feeling the blade. The 1.5 to 2.0 setting is good enough for a great painless shave, for me. It didn't seem so clunky once I actually had it in my hands. Before I bought it I thought it would be too big to get under the nose, but it wasn't.